1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wall Street Journal] The Rockets Shoot From Outer Space

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more media conspiracy from the Wall Street Journal. I'm starting to think that WSJ really likes the Rockets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-houston-rockets-shoot-long-3-pointers-from-outer-space-1493563578

NBA Playoffs
    The Rockets Shoot From Outer Space

Houston has changed the NBA by finding a way to take more 3-pointers: take longer 3-pointers.
    By Ben Cohen

HOUSTON—The original idea to defy basketball doctrine came from James Harden. Not long after the Houston Rockets traded for him, they learned that Harden was an iconoclast. He liked shooting 3-pointers. Very long 3-pointers.

“What do you think?” he said to Houston general manager Daryl Morey.

He picked the right person to ask. Morey understood the importance of studying data before making decisions, and what he saw when he examined the numbers was surprising: Harden’s shooting percentage didn’t suffer on 3-pointers taken two feet or more behind the line. Most executives would’ve thought Harden was nuts. Morey thought he was onto something.

It took five years for the Rockets to embrace his strategy by signing better shooters to surround Harden and entrusting their offense to perhaps the sport’s most innovative coach. But this was finally the season Houston colonized basketball’s next frontier.

The Rockets made the most 3-pointers in NBA history because they realized there was one way they could shoot more threes: shoot longer threes.

“That line doesn’t mean a whole lot anymore,” Houston coach Mike D’Antoni said.

“Well, you get three instead of two,” Morey said. “Other than that.”

The 3-point line extends as far as 23 feet, 9 inches from the basket, and for as long as it’s been on the court, NBA teams got as close to that line as they could. The Rockets went the opposite way.

They were the only team to hit more of those threes this season from outside 25 feet than inside 25 feet. They also depended on those shots. The league attempted 11% of its field goals from beyond 25 feet. That number for the Rockets was an NBA-record 23%.

Houston’s complete disregard for the exact location of the 3-point line resulted in one of the greatest offenses the league has ever seen. That offense is why the Rockets are still playing in the Western Conference semifinals, and the high variance of a team built this way makes Houston a threat to upset the Golden State Warriors and dethrone the Cleveland Cavaliers for the NBA championship.

The Rockets made it their priority to chase the sport’s best shots in the deep paint and behind the arc. These shots have expected values higher than one point—a magic number in basketball.

Brittni Donaldson, a data analyst for Stats LLC, analyzed more than 200,000 field-goal attempts from this NBA season using the company’s SportVU technology, which revealed two parts of the court that produced shots yielding more than one point of expected value: between 0 and 6 feet and between 22 and 27 feet.

As a general rule, the farther teams get from the basket, the farther they get from that expected value. Their shots are worth more once they’re behind the 3-point line—but only to a certain extent. Even the return on investing in 3-pointers diminishes with distance.

Except for the Rockets. That’s why their strategy worked.

Houston’s expected value from threes exceeded one point all the way out to 30 feet, according to the SportVU data. Their reliance on such extremely deep shooting was staggering. The Rockets almost led the league in shots from less than two feet—layups and slam dunks—and yet they still took more shots from 25 to 26 feet.

That willingness to shoot from previously uninhabitable parts of the court was the engine powering the Rockets’ offense. By setting high screens for Harden and positioning shooters far away from the hoop—and far behind the line—Houston created room for his drives and freed Ryan Anderson, Trevor Ariza and Eric Gordon for cleaner looks.

The spacing of Houston’s offense caused problems for a simple reason: It’s harder to play defense when there’s more to defend. They didn’t even have to shoot to be effective. The Rockets would’ve been useful way behind the arc even if all they did out there was drink kombucha. “The more space I can bring, the better,” Anderson said.

Over the course of the season, they slowly recognized that range no longer seemed to matter, and their coach started encouraging the Rockets to ignore the 3-point line and launch from remote areas.

So they backed up—and then backed up again.

“It doesn’t bother their shot at all,” D’Antoni said. “They might even shoot better longer. I don’t know. I think we have stats on it.”

D’Antoni was right. The stats prove the improbable: They do shoot better longer.

Houston shot 35.8% on threes inside 25 feet, excluding the shorter corner three, but 36.2% between 26 and 30 feet. The rest of the NBA shot 37.6% on close threes and 33.6% on deep threes. The Rockets also took 14% more threes than the league average inside 25 feet—and 122% more outside 25 feet.

The result was a style of play so deeply weird that it often looked almost like a different sport altogether.

One local fan named Chris Cassidy had enough perspective to notice the strange aesthetics. When he goes to Rockets games, Cassidy sits with Morey. But he can’t watch every Rockets game. He has a day job that keeps him busy at night—and sometimes takes him off the planet entirely. Cassidy is NASA’s chief astronaut.

NASA, like every NBA team, is obsessed with efficiency. That means searching for small risks with big rewards, Cassidy said. The basketball equivalent of a small risk with a big reward is a longer 3-pointer.

“On a different scale,” Cassidy said, “I can see exactly how that relates to what the Rockets are doing.”

The Rockets found that playing farther away than anyone imagined was an inefficiency they could exploit. Other teams are trying deeper threes, too, and Houston’s shooting percentage suggests the NBA hasn’t reached basketball’s extreme limits yet. There are some radicals who dream of a future when plays start at half-court, shooters take their positions 15 feet behind the arc and offenses have more room than ever to maneuver. They believe the NBA court is essentially getting bigger.

But the Rockets have already stretched its dimensions. They were the first team to flee the mid-range because they recognized that shots between the paint and arc were mathematically stupid. What they showed this year was that shooting any three from any location was smarter than shooting most twos.

“Plus,” Morey said, “you don’t have the risk of stepping over it.”

Before this season, the first of D’Antoni and Morey’s basketball marriage, they made a decision to bet on 3-pointers. But the plan to experiment with longer 3-pointers came from the players themselves. And even they’re not quite sure why. “It just kind of happened,” Anderson said.

It turned out to be easy for the Rockets to take advantage of serendipity. All they had to do was keep shooting—no matter where they were.

Write to Ben Cohen at ben.cohen@wsj.com

more charts, video, and photos at the link

Handles, Y2JT, PhiSlamma15 and 16 others like this.
  2. valorita

valorita Member

The extended three makes the geometry impossible for the human body to guard the paint and recover in time to affect the open 3.

Wapzoe and BigMaloe like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

except when Anderson hesitates ... :(

MrButtocks, Deuce, Jontro and 6 others like this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Everyone seemed to think it was Leslie who forced the Rockets to hire MDA, but is that actually true? Anything out there to suggest that Daryl had MDA as his first priority for HC?

Jontro likes this.
  5. heypartner

I'm now beginning to think that Morey interviewing others and saying defense was a priority was just a negotiating ruse to keep D'Antoni's salary down, since Les still owed McHale money. Everything since points to Morey was always highly intrigued with MDA. He just had to keep the salary down.

MDAs salary is one of the lowest in the league, especially for coaches signing with a playoff team. Even Luke Walton signed for $1m/yr more.

Jontro, Wapzoe and BigMaloe like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

The only real challenge to the theory in my opinion is that I think you could also correlate a reduced mid-range % with practicing and taking the longer three due to the variance in arc/angles necessary to maximize accuracy at a closer distance. And at some point that may factor into the equation. Though I hope it never does. It probably doesn't impact high arc shooters like Purvis Short, Glen Rice, or even Larry Bird, but I would think most players would see decreased accuracy over time from inside the arc.

7. heypartner

Everything points to the closer shot is the easier shot, but worth 1pt less.

Let's not confuse accuracy with pts per shot efficiency. That said, it is easier for defenses to guard you when you are 15-20' away from the basket. It's harder to get an open look, but 2ptrs do prove to have higher FG% still, just not PPS.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

True, but don't confuse the higher 2 pt FG% compared to 3 pt %, with decreased 2 pt FG% compared to your previous 2 pt FG %, which I think you would find with the long distance 3 pt shooting players over time that don't shoot with the same arc.

For example; Curry's 2 pt FG % has dropped from .567 to .537, and I think you could correlate that to increased distance shooting.

#8 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well MDA failed in his last two stops so he really had no reason to command a high salary. I'm also not sure how a low salary for a coach affects Morey's ability to operate in any way. Your theory is rather conspiratorial.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am so glad Les stepped in and took control of the coaching situation by firing McFail and hiring Mike AntoniO

I had enough of Maury using the Rockets as his experimentation tool and hiring puppet coaches like Milk Hair

Ozzy likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

lol well the money comes from somewhere. It wouldn't affect morey's ability to operate but morey works for les and les is already paying mchale still so he wouldn't want to have to pay more than he has to for another coach.

that being said I agree with you that is probably not how it went down and is just a conspiracy theory, but it makes perfect sense to see why morey would be motivated to pay as little as possible. He works for Les and the money comes out of Les' pocket.

I agree with you though that he just has a low salary because he didn't look good in new york or la

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If a player shoots the longer 3 more accurately than the shorter 3, that's because that particular player gains more from the extra space (distance from the defender, or likelihood that the defender was able to get close enough to guard effectively) than he loses from the increased difficulty of the longer shot.

It's entirely possible that Morey has been able to analyze potential roster additions based on long-3 percentage, and has used it in constructing this team.

If so, and if he's been unusual in doing this, his competitive advantage will diminish as more teams adopt the strategy and draft and bid for players accordingly.

Williamson, BigMaloe and Ozzy like this.
  13. heypartner

Well then, forget salary. my thoughts are everything Morey and MDA have said since the signing points to Morey wanting him all along. Is that more or less conspiratorial than saying Les picked MDA when Morey wanted someone else. lulz

But to answer your question,,,there is nothing out there of Morey saying MDA was is first, second or third choice.

Still say it's natural for Morey to say we need to address defense vs doubling down on shooters, to avoid tipping his hand on both coaches and free agents. I mean, he still would want to talk to everyone. Point is, I think many of us read too much into his statement about defense, and didn't want MDA, so concocted a story that Les must have forced it to excite the fans with offense for the fun of it.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. heypartner

The stats in the article were for the entire team. So since Brewer and Dekker only shoot at the line, and our most elite shooters are the only extreme distance shooters, makes sense that's why as a team it looks like we shoot better from further out, per your theory.

I have always thought that what they came upon (and Ryan did say it wasn't really planned, so no Morey analytics, but "serendipity") is the only way to keep shooting 40-50 threes after our December success was to step further back and let percentage slip for more shots. That is, Voulme is more important than %. I don't think our % went up by theoretically being more open.

I mean, we can say shooting a contested three from the line is harder than stepping back for a more open look,,,sure...but more to the point is we are not supposed to even shoot it, but rather pass it, or even more accurately put, Harden will drive and alley oop vs passing it to you. I don't think we will find anywhere that our contested threes went up, so we stepped back, if that's what you're implying. But I do think we'll find that our volume went down, so we needed to get it back up...by Ryno and EGo stepping back. I think Harden had been doing it for awhile already.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that uncontested from further is better than contested from close, as that holds true for any shot, as well. just wanted to chime in to say several of us have been tracking our contested vs uncontested threes, and it doesn't really change much per game. The key change based on defenses is volume of 3s vs Harden attacking the rim instead,,,pick your poison.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

biggest takeaway from this article is that harden and morey have a relationship. If you listen to harden's comments closely you can see that he has a good relationship with dantoni, morey, and les. Dude isn't going anywhere. He's gonna get that 220 mil super max eventually and be here for the long haul

ElDobleK and newAge_Rockets like this.
  16. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Media conspiracy as its finest.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Now imagine if we had a center in the paint who could actually punish his guy down low without help defense. That's why we need a low post threat like Cousins.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's always an open shot if you take it from outer space. Genius!

19. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

More proof that the NBA would be so much more fun with the 4 pt line

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Some fans that complain about teams taking too many threes nowadays think that pushing the line back a few feet would revive the midrange game. This article proves that it wouldn't, the floor would likely just be spaced out even further. You could push the line back to 30 feet and we'd still be chucking them up. The midrange is dead and isn't coming back.