1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walker: not right personnel for small ball & not great from 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gawd damn, please post more @harold bingo!

That's precisely the kind of analysis I like reading instead of "Rockets too short, rockets are worse" type of drivel on this board.

PhiSlamma15, Nook, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I searched bb-reference this morning. The result was a bit different from yours.

DRTG >= 117
    70-386, which is 15.4% winning percentage.

A little higher than your result. But the point is the same. It's BAD. a 15.4% season is 13-69.

BTW, of the 456 games, 15 of them were played by the Rockets. The record was 5-10 (33%), better than the league percentage. It's expected because the Rockets have a good offense to negate some of the bad defensive effort.

What's alarming is that 15 games is more than 1/4 of all the games we played. It's almost once every week.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you keep saying it maybe both players will return.

NOT

HP3 likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still going over everyone's head. Improving the perimeter defense is the key.

CF still rather talk about offense.

fckbandwagons, Nook and Easy like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I see what I did wrong. I tried to sort the result, but it looks like the sorting is only done on a per page basis - so while I tried to sort all wins to the top, I was really just seeing 56 wins on that first page, meaning there were more wins left over on the following pages. Doesn't really change the conclusion as you mentioned, but it's important to get the numbers right. Thanks.

fckbandwagons, HP3, Zboy and 3 others like this.
  6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

yes but now u miss the even grander point. u gottta keep zooming out.

guys they shoot that good are expensive. the whole grand grand idea is how do u get guys that can fit around guys that a superstars n have high caps. the goal is u harness the guys that don't do good enough but in ur system they cheap n now efficient relative to the volume

HP3, D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rockets are too short to play defense?
    ;)

DD

#87 DaDakota, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. The argument that without a rim protector our defense got worse has some merit. We'll have to wait for a larger sample size to see if our defense gets better or worse by trading a shot blocker for a better perimeter defender.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well we know that Harden and Westbrook have both rested on defense - so they won't be able to do that.

DD

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

MKG can't shoot, that means the offense rtg will go down when he is in. MDA likes his short rotations getting him won't make any sense cuz MDA won't play him.

Once in a blue moon when he does play MKG will be asked to play center or PF and he'll just be another Thabo Sefalosha. All that defensive prowess wont help him defend bigs just like its not helping Covington now.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are missing 3 point shooters - you need some guys 40%+ and we have none.

The team made sense with CP3 and Capela. The trade for WB though made Capela a liability unfortunately.

D-rock and tycoonchip like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

The answer is the Killer B's:

6'10 Jonah Bolden (7'3 WS) 35% 3P

6'7 Ryan Broekhoff (6'10 WS) 39% 3P

7'0 Dragan Bender (7'2 WS) 44% 3P

6'8 Bismack Biyombo (7'7 WS) N/A

6'8 (B) Omari Spellman (7'2 WS) 39% 3P

6'3 Tyler B. Johnson (6'7 WS) 36% 3P

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

gifford1967, D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  14. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

1) the rockets are going to be bad at shooting 3's because they take a lot of 3's, and a lot of them are bad. 22nd in the league is pretty damn good given their volume.

2) Covington is a better defender than Capela and rim protection is overrated as hell. Remember that our smallest guy is still a 6'3" guy that is one of the best rebounding guards ever. What we give up in layups and putbacks we get back on offense and with our quick, agile wings who can get lots of steals. Covington avg. 1 block per game, Capela 1.8. It's not that big a deal.

3) we don't have to worry about benching Capela to put PJ at center at the end of games. Now we just get to close the game with Covington always, and the 5th guy is going to be Gordon, House or McLemore. Trading a matchup dependent guy for a matchup proof guy is almost always going to be a net win, all other things being equal.

rockets shot 29% from 3 on 45 attempts and blew out the Celtics. Be patient with this!

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Add a starter who averages 1 block/game to pair with Covington then the .8 variance disappears.

House or McLemore should not be closers unless they are on fire from 3.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This right here. This is why I never understood why we would go after someone that can not shoot from outside when Morey's entire philosophy is about the 3 pt shot. I would have understood if we went after Dame. Hell even after Kyrie.... but the Westbrook move just confused me. It just didn't seem like something morey would do.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dame or Kyrie were not available for CP3. I think that is evident.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a mistake to get rid of CP3. We'd have been better of using those picks to just get Covington and keeping Capela and CP3.

Capela + CP3 >> Westbrook

DaDakota and J Sizzle like this.
  19. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Trading caplea is for westbrooks to prevent center traffic congestion. Westbrooks can do layup and slam dunk easily. If there is a guy standing inside, their center can block westbrooks and difficult to shoot accurately

D-rock likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Even without Capela you'd prefer that. Can you imagine the defense this team would have if they were throwing out CP3 + Covington + Tucker lineups to close games.

I am happy with Westbrook becoming playable, but the opportunity cost of the trade is what really hurts. A straight up swap you can live with. The picks and the swaps that were thrown in made it just horrendous. Those could have been much better utilized.