1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Waiver wire?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Refman, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I see that somebody here caught wind that Hampton and Neagle were waived. Where can you find out who has been waived? I can't find it on cnnsi.com or espn.com since it is not listed in the transactions section.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Unless it is speculated upon by some source like ESPN Insider or the player actually clears waivers, you aren't likely to find it anywhere on the Internet.

The information about Hampton and Neagle came through ESPN Insider, which got it's information from the Rocky Mountain News website here: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/rockies/article/0,1299,DRMN_19_1310508,00.html . It's all speculation right now, but it's probably they've been placed on waivers.

3. Refman

So since I'm cheap and won't pay for an insider subscription I just have to wait huh? :)

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well - you can always search around on various newspaper's websites! This site has links related to the NBA, but since a good number of MLB and NBA teams overlap, it can be of use: http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/media.html

Or, you can always find someone who does have an Insider subscription and mooch off of them...not like I'd condone that, though. :)

5. Refman

You are a gentleman and a scholar. thanks for the link. :)

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Jayson Stark of ESPN actually put out a list of players who have cleared waivers, as well as those who were claimed but pulled back by their team.

Unclaimed:

Livan Hernandez SP, SF
    Scott Erickson SP, Bal
    Ismael Valdes SP, Tex
    Julian Tavarez SP, Fla
    Jeff Suppan SP, KC
    Esteban Loaiza SP, Tor
    Steve Parris SP, Tor
    Rob Bell SP, Tex
    Roberto Hernandez RP, KC
    Keith Foulke RP, ChiWS
    Jeff Fassero RP, ChiC
    Tom Gordon RP, ChiC
    Mike Timlin RP, Phi
    Juan Acevedo RP, Det
    Vic Darensbourg RP, Fla
    Jay Powell RP, Tex
    Todd Van Poppel RP, Tex
    Felix Heredia RP, Tor
    Rheal Cormier RP, Phi
    Joe Beimel RP, Pit
    Neifi Perez SS, KC
    Pudge Rodriguez C, Tex
    Frank Catalanotto Util, Tex
    Shane Halter Util, Det
    Matt Lawton OF, Cle
    Michael Tucker OF, KC
    Royce Clayton SS, ChiWS

I'll post those who did get claimed in another post, since this one is fairly long as it is.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

Claimed players are below. You can find the entire article by Stark at http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1415726.html

Paul Byrd SP, KC
    Paul Wilson SP, TB
    Sidney Ponson SP, Bal
    Matt Clement SP, ChiC (my question: what is he doing on waivers? are the Cubs just dumb?)
    Dan Plesac RP, Phi
    Kelly Wunsch RP, ChiWS
    Ray King RP, Mil
    Joey Eischen RP, Mon
    Esteban Yan RP, TB
    Mike DeJean RP, Mil (my question: why were he and Yan claimed but not Foulke or Acevedo?)
    Joe Borowski RP, ChiC
    Cliff Politte RP, Tor
    Randy Winn OF, TB
    Shane Spencer OF, NYY
    Kevin Mench OF, Tex
    Doug Glanville OF, Phi

8. Refman

Texas has waived 7 players off a 25 man roster??!!! Yeah...they're not losing money. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Winn and Byrd were claimed by the Astros. I know Hunsicker wants both of them.

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

I think Pudge's waiving is a fairly strong indictment that he won't be back next year unless he plays for peanuts.

Some of the players Texas put out there are their better prospects - all things relative, of course. They are either drowning in monetary losses, dumber than a door, or both.

I'm just surprised at some of the players who did get claimed (the closers that I mentioned, Yan and DeJean) and those who didn't (the closers that I mentioned, Foulke and Acevedo). No real big names other than Pudge and Foulke have gone unclaimed yet, but I imagine those types of players will start hitting waivers fairly soon.

10. Major

Major Member

There's actually no risk putting prospects or players on waviers. I think a few years ago, the Mets put every single player they had on waivers. Any that are claimed, you just pull back. Any that aren't, you can then work out a trade if you want to. Really, it's the best of both worlds.

By putting a bunch of players out there, you also prevent teams from "protective grabbing" a little. It's harder to claim a guy that you don't want just to prevent a deal, because you may actually end up with the guy.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The first time you put a player on waivers, if they are claimed you can pull 'em back. If they aren't you can trade 'em. If you put them on waivers a second time and they are claimed, the team that claimed em gets 'em.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm confused about this whole process

Why do teams put players on waiver wire?
    A) To save money
    B) ?

Once a player claimed by another team what happens?
    A) You will pull them back because ______________
    B) You let them go to that team, but end up paying __________

Once a player is unlclaimed by another team
    A) They just continue to play on your team at same salary
    B) You can try and trade the player, but they will not make the new teams playoff roster?

How many teams can claim a player? IS it first come first serve? Or is their a bidding war that ensues.

13. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure this is exactly correct, but I'll do my best:

Why do teams put players on waiver wire?
    A) To save money
    B) ?

B) To trade them after the July 31st deadline.
    C) In the hopes that someone just takes them off their hands to save money.

Once a player claimed by another team what happens?
    A) You will pull them back because ______________
    B) You let them go to that team, but end up paying __________

(a) Because you didn't really want to lose them for nothing. You were hoping they'd get through waivers so you could trade them to whomever you want to.

(b) Here I'm not sure. You either pay nothing, or you only pay the remainder of this year's salary (if the guy has a multi-year contract). The other team would pay the rest.

Once a player is unlclaimed by another team
    A) They just continue to play on your team at same salary
    B) You can try and trade the player, but they will not make the new teams playoff roster?

A is correct. B is incorrect - as long as they are on the team before playoff rosters have to be set (Aug 31?), they can be included on the playoff roster.

For example, Woody Williams to the Cardinals, I believe, was a waiver-wire trade last year.

How many teams can claim a player? IS it first come first serve? Or is their a bidding war that ensues.

I think the worst teams get first opportunity. For this reason, the Cardinals would not be able to block any trade of Randy Wynn to the Astros because the Astros could claim him first and then, I believe, work out a trade. (I'm not exactly sure on this)