1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Wire: Do We Pick Anybody? Who?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Oct 28, 2003.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

"The Rockets do have room to move, and Dawson said he will check the waiver list closely. With Adrian Griffin, Eric Piatkowski and Ben Davis on the injured list, they already had left a roster spot open.

"We're looking at it," Dawson said. "It's always an option. We'll look at everything. If we try to get a player, we'll look every way: What Jeff needs, what the coaches want. You look at everything. (Adding a player waived on Monday) is always a possibility. We're looking. We haven't signed anybody. A lot of people have been let go the last couple days. You have to look at that."

The waiver wire offered few options likely to be much more helpful than Anthony "Pig" Miller and Nnadubem "Gabe" Muoneke, the forwards the Rockets recently released.

In recent days, veterans George McCloud, Cherokee Parks, Travis Knight, Reggie Slater, Jason Caffey and Isaac Austin were waived. Former University of Houston forwards Alton Ford and George Williams were also waived."

:( :( :(

If we must cut Eddie -- and I think it's too early -- which player would you choose off the waiver wire? Who would help the Rockets the most?

2. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Cherokee Parks Cherokee Parks Cherokee Parks Cherokee Parks

3. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

No not Cherokee Parks we need :

Charles Oakley

:) The Enforcer :mad:

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

OMG, i cant believe someone would actually be so excited about Cherokee that they would write their name in bold and a bigger font :eek:

5. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

dream.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

What's the status of Isaac Austin? I mean, I know he gave Hakeem fits when the Rockets played Miami.

If he's still in basketball shape, he should be much better than than John Amaechi.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Issac Austin hasn't done anything of note since he left Miami.
    The Grizzlies gave him a chance but he was overweight and unfit.
    If he was playing well right now I think someone might have given him a chance by now.

8. agballer98

agballer98 Member

Alton Ford, he's big, young and has a lot of potential.

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I can't believe a dude would type OMG

10. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Did Anthony Mason sign with anybody yet? We need a rugged defensive minded interior player. Our front line is just so thin...

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Mark Berman reported last night that Scott Padget was coming in for a workout. He was waived by Portland.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Mason contributed to the ruin of a very good Milwaukee team. No thanks. If we've got an open roster spot, I'd rather see them use it on one of the guys who's been to camp with us and knows the offense and defense.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why not? Maybe coming home would help him. I wouldn't mind taking him on as a long term "project".

He should have gone to UH

14. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I think you're thinking of George Karl. He's probably available as well, but I don't think we need him.:p

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having him. He plays hard and does the dirty stuff. I would think that the only reason Ben Davis hasn't been cut is because he is injured. I'd rather Padget over Meech anyway.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This post is from a guy called SamCassell. :D

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Another vote for Alton Ford. When (if) Griffin comes off the suspended list to be our 12th man, then Alton Ford can replace Ben Davis on the injured list.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Ben Davis wasn't cut because he was injured and injured non-contract players can't be cut. This to me is the only opening on the roster. Padgett's only 27 and like Amaechi and Ike Austin is a Utah/Sloan "survivor". IOW, he's no stranger to a tough task master.

Personally, I'd consider Padgett (listed as 6'9" / 240) an upgrade over Oakley (too old), Pig (much less mobile), Davis, Muoneke (a tweener sizewise), Ike Austin (too old), or Cornell (inexperienced). Hey, the guy has 3,100+ NBA career minutes and (this part pains me, too) all on a winning team.

Not that Padgett has nearly the potential, but his per minute stats aren't a whole lot different from Griffins. If Griffin quits basketball or is cut, can we compete with the PF group of Mo Taylor, Scott Padgett and Torraye Braggs? I think we could...they all bring something different to the table.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Lol Easy. I had this nick on the BBS way, way before Sammy became a Buck. Rocketsauce - remember, Karl took the Bucks to the Eastern Conference Finals the season before Mase joined the Bucks. Mason's craptacular ballhandling skills remind me of a post version of Moochie Norris (dribble dribble dribble for 23 seconds). Allen, Robinson, and Cassell were a great trio before that team blew up.