1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Trade Deadline (Potential help to solve the triage problem?)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yes, because I didn't know Gattis played catcher last regular season? I'm shocked by this information.

2. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure we're wrong. We'll see.

It all depends on McCann.

Both those NL teams carried 3 for the WC game then the Dbacks went with 2 in the NLDS.

#62 Buck Turgidson, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But he was the DH in the postseason. Probably unnecessary to carry 3 again unless McCann or Stassi are going to be used at DH.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yep, it certainly does. Right now the offense needs to start performing, and Lunhow ought to be active on the waiver market for an outfield or DH upgrade. McCutchen and Beltre would both be major shots in the arm for this team right now.

5. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

If Donaldson can prove he can stay healthy and productive, perhaps we can swing a trade for him?

6. HTown2017Champs

I'd try and talk to the Blue Jays about Smoak as an August trade candidate. They're not going anywhere this year, if I were them I'd try and unload him as well as Donaldson and Granderson (at least) and stock up for the rebuild. He seems like a good August trade candidate, but there hasn't been any indication that he'll be moved.

In the offseason, at least talk to Jeter about Realmuto. Tucker+Stassi as a starting point. Yes, I understand, Tucker is off to a slow start, and still has plenty of time to take off, but sometimes moves like this have to be made to help us. Alvarez is in AAA and we'll still have Kemp, Reddick, Springer, and Jake. Catcher is clearly a weakness on our team. Maybe they won't even listen to offers to move Realmuto, but at least give it a shot.

7. Major

Major Member

There's no way the Astros are getting carrying 3 catchers excluding Gattis into the postseason, given that none of our catchers can hit. Gattis will catch if, for some bizarre reason, your other 2 catchers go down. It's much more important to carry guys that will pinch hit and/or pinch run and/or defensive sub for you than carry a "just in case our first two guys get hurt" catcher. Even more true when you have Gattis around, meaning you're already using a roster spot with a no-defense guy.

8. Buck Turgidson

Gattis is the DH and also emergency 3rd catcher. If McCann can go, he's #1, Maldonado would be the backup for late inning defensive stuff. I like Stassi and all, but he is a distant unnecessary #3 that you just don't need in the postseason.

Again, for the 56twelth damn time, for the slower ones among us:

A "26th man" (must be a catcher) may (with approval of the MLB Conmissioner) be listed on a club's Active List for the LDS, LCS, or World Series as a replacement for a catcher who is suffering from an acute concussion. The catcher who suffered the concussion would be eligible to return to his club's Active List after seven days (even if it is prior to the conclusion of the series) at which point the "26th man" would be deactivated.

Again, this is all assuming McCann is healthy.

#68 Buck Turgidson, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Hadn’t thought about Granderson, but he would make sense for the Astros as a short-term band aid, and likely would take next to nothing to acquire.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Osuna, why not Hanley Ramirez.

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

12. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

you're always so cocky. own it you got owned ya b**** ass *****.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

You should be banned for this comment, even though I do agree that he got owned. It is the rest I have a problem with.

14. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

marks0223 likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I know it's been mentioned - but they did carry 3 last year + Beltran. Even when they added one more pitcher for the ALCS, they kept 3 catchers (dropping Tyler White). And I can't think of any conceivable reason to justify keeping Juan Centeno on the roster - there must be some better-than-zero-chance doomsday scenario in which they'd need a third catcher that they're wary of?

So my guess is they'll again carry 3 - assuming all are healthy.

ALDS:
    Gurriel
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Correa
    Reddick
    Springer
    Gonzalez
    Marisnick
    Kemp
    White
    McCann
    Maldonado
    Stassi
    + 11 pitchers

16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Left off Gattis.

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... well, maybe that's where they go - Gattis, obviously; drop Stassi. Still gives them 3 catchers.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I could see that actually, assuming McCann is 100% and appears able to contribute.

We be ideal if McCann can turn back the clock to 2008 when he returns and be an offensive force!

19. Major

Major Member

Well, the idea with that was that Gattis was also their primary DH, similar to this year - so he was on the roster primarily as a bat. When Beltran was playing, he was a legit pinch hitter as well. If McCann gets hurt, they didn't want the pitcher to have to bat, so they couldn't move Gattis - thus Centeno, who otherwise would never play in the postseason. That would be the same this year - they have a backup to McCann, but that's it. If TWO catchers get hurt (neither by concussion), sure, at that point they deal with a pitcher hitting, but the odds of that are miniscule. This year, they get to replace Beltran with a speedy guy or a power hitter, so it gives them one more weapon depending on circumstances.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]