1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiting for the proverbial **** to hit the fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamMachine34, Nov 21, 2003.

1. DreamMachine34

Waiting for the proverbial s*** to hit the fan

As of now, I'm sure we're all satisfied with the Roc's winning record. Considering most analysts and fans believe starting out 10-10 would be a success, I would say the Rocs are smashing success. However, I'm still waiting for some kind of slump. Some kind of sign that will show that we're still a team fighting for a playoff spot, not some team that's leading the Midwest Division.

If this happens, and the Rocs come back to where they "should" be, it's no problem. People will continue with the Francis doesn't pass , Yao isn't tough enough, Mobley jacks, Van Gundy looks like Gollum, and when is Kobe coming to Houston arguments. I'm waiting for that to happen.

But what if, and I say what if, we're still on top of the Midwest or in the top three in the west. Would it be time to say, okay, forget this let's fight for the playoffs and start thinking about a championship contender for the next several years like the Kings or Trailblazers of yesteryear?

There's a lot of buzz around the Rockets. If the Rocs keep it up, we'll be the new team to beat (after thrashing the Lakers considerably).

2. Allen Leavell_2

If the Rockets were in the East, they would be in the Finals this year. BUT, we're not. We are not good enough to advance in the Western Conference playoffs.

Plus, unless Yao gets 20 shots a game, I don't think we will win consistently. Over the course of a season, he will shoot a MUCH higher percentage or get someone else a MUCH higher percentage shot than Steve driving into 3 people or Cat fading away from 18 feet. Until Yao gets the ball in the post consistently and then gets it back after he passes out of a double team, until that happens, we won't win consistently. I love Steve, but he's not consistent and we can't rely on his shot to win consistently in the West.

3. bongman

bongman Member

I thougt that was the plan from the beginning. First, make it to the playoffs, get some experience, then win it all after a few seasons. Baby steps!!!