1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VPN recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Sep 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I paid for BTGuard VPN service to try it out for a month and it is slow beyond belief.

Are there any other VPN services anyone has experience with or might be faster?

Thanks.

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I went through a bunch and found Witopia to be the best for Asia and the ME. The speed is good but the only downside is if you want to download torrents, it blocks several torrent sites.

Also I know people who had speed problems with other paid VPN clients, contacted customer support, and drastically improved the speed with several adjustments.

1 person likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Vyper VPN is amazing....but only comes with Diamond Giganews service, sadly.

I'm going to research this, so I'll be throwing my two cents in when I get some info.

1 person likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Overplay VPN, recommend it highly!!!

https://overplay.net/

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

bumping this up.

whats a good VPN? i've been looking at private internet access. seems to get pretty good reviews. anyone have any experience with them?

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We use Open VPN in the Middle East

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I like witopia a lot. Got it for my father while he's working in the Middle East, and I use it for watching BBC shows and League Pass.

8. magman

magman Member

I've been happy with Astrill.

I've been able to watch hulu and netflix from Africa.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's what I use. Not sure it's the fastest, though. Great customer service (online live chat).

10. tested911

tested911 Member

Does any of the recommended VPN services offer RSA Secure ID login?

What I'm afraid of is if my father from overseas uses a internet cafe and his identity is stolen :( Has happened before.

11. 45souf

45souf Member

Hidemyass.com

12. SacTown

SacTown Member

I use strongvpn.com and as many of you know I run several internet businesses and travel globally and it works well for me and a lot of the professionals in my circle use it as well so I'm comfortable recommending it.

13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

bump.

think i'm going to take the plunge into getting a VPN finally.. few questions for those who use one:

1. does using a VPN screw with a wireless router? so like if i turn the VPN on will ipod/ipads stop functioning with wifi?

2. is it pretty easy to switch back to your norm IP? assuming if you turn off the VPN it would do this by default?

3. is it hard to setup torrenting with VPN's?

*i guess a lot of this could vary by the VPN service...think i'm going to go private internet access, seems to have decent reviews.

thanks for any feedback

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That's the exact company I use and used all season long to watch rockets games on my TV in HD. Private Internet Access is legit

No, if you download the windows or mac client, it will have no effect on the connectivity of other devices on your home network. Simply connect to the server of your choice, and just type in "what is my ip" in google search and you should notice it's different. It can only possibly affect your network if you set up VPN PPTP in your router. (I use it on a DD-WRT enabled router so I could use nba league pass on other devices without restrictions)

As far as torrenting, use the built in port forwarding feature of the software and point it to the port your torrent application is using. You should be able to find this number in the settings of your client. Such as uTorrent

Edit: As far as turning off the VPN, it should automatically re-connect to your normal IP when you turn it off.

#14 Scionxa, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  15. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

awesome, thanks

16. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i guess another question would be...you leave your VPN running all the time? guess that makes the most sense.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Get Witopia, speak to them about getting the max speed and they'll recommend some settings which are best for your particular location.

18. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

if i was able to d-load off utorrent does that mean i set the port stuff up correctly?

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I actually ended up using HMA (hidemyass) VPN. I've been pretty happy with the speeds of torrent downloads since they have many local port centers. I did have some issue of HMA of sending me a warning of not to download some tv shows like Boardwalk Empire. I would use HMA VPN via a private torrent site like RevolutionTT and I still got a notice or two a while back. I was told if I continue to receive warnings that HMA would terminate my service. But they also did write that there is no actual proof if I ever did or did not download any television programming.

HMA from what I remember reading does keeps records of their users browsing and downloading habits. So you might want to look into another VPN if you are super concerned about privacy.

I basically just wanted a VPN in order to have somewhat fast download speeds with the reduced risk of getting an warning from my cable provider for downloading shows.

With HMA VPN I sometimes reach speeds of over 1.2 Mbps.

20. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

hmm...well seems like might be a bit of a problem. when i switch servers or whatever i think our home phone service goes out.

we have our phone/internet/cable all in one package type thing with TWC. think when i switch and am connected our house phone stops working. whoops.