1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote for your Rockets 1970s all-decade team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 00rocketgirl, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

When it comes to the 1970's Rockets, you have to start with the "big three". Rudy, Calvin, and Mike "the Shark" Newlin. Those three were the core of those Rocket teams. After those three I would have to include the Big E and Moses, both of whom were legitimate NBA Superstars. John Lucas played for the Rockets two years during the 70's and averaged about 12pts and 7.5 assists which was good, but not great. Newlin deserves to be on the team over Lucas for his eight terrific years alongside both Rudy and Calvin.

Rudy
    Calvin
    Newlin
    Moses
    Hayes

#21 Rip Van Rocket, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Imagine having Moses and Hayes in their prime right now...

3. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Surprised not to see any threads about the 1970s tribute tonight, so I'd thought I'd bump this one.
    I was at the game, so I wasn't sure just how much was covered at home about the game on FSN.

The 5 people who made the all Decade team were:
    Moses Malone
    Elvin Hayes
    Calvin Murphy
    Mike Newlin
    Rudy Tomjanovich

All were present tonight but Rudy T and they did a neat half time tribute to them hosted by Bill Worrell.

The space city seniors, the power dancers, and some of the Red Rowdies were dressed in 1970s clothes and they seemed to play more 70s music than normal tonight too. That was a lot of fun.

I highly recommend going to see the 80s and 90s tribute games. I don't know if they've released the dates for those games yet. It was sad how poor attendance was with an event like this.

Also, as they honor each decade, they will put up part of the Rockets history timeline in the concourse. Here is the part that was up tonight:

[​IMG]

I made a Rudy T circa 1971-1972 uniform outfit for tonight from an old TMac throwback jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that's pretty creative! taking an old jersey that was just 'sitting there' and making it into something authentic.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Love that Newlin made it. He was my favorite Rocket until Moses showed up. I always put Newlin and Elie in the same category... gritty, tough ballers who got the max out of their natural talents.