1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer Appreciation Thread - Playoffs Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Apr 15, 2009.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This thread is dedicated to everyone who watched Jerry Stackhouse absolutely torture Jon Barry and David Wesley on the low block.

It's for Jimmy Jackson and Cuttino Mobley who logged heavy minutes in a valient effort because Boki Nachbar gave new meaning to the term "backup" in Jeff Van Gundy's 7 man playoff rotation.

It's for everyone who watched in horror in 2007 and again in 2008 as Luther Head did the once unthinkable, surpassing Kevin Willis and cementing his spot as the most futile playoff performer in Rockets history.

And finally, this thread is for Sam Mack who in 1998 was the last legitimate, full sized backup swingman on a Houston Rockets playoff team. Fans will remember Rudy forced into playing him virtual starter's minutes as Michael Dickerson had one of the most forgettable series' in Rockets history, and probably never really even had a chance to begin with.

This thread is in appreciation of Von Wafer, 6'5, 23 years old, an unlikeliest of heroes, without whom the Rockets might not be challenging for home-court today.

He might not be the best defender in the world, and God knows he can be erratic, but he represents the first legitimate backup wing on our team in over a decade. I have no idea what to expect from him, or if he can even handle the intensity, but as an avid follower of this team through the years, there is no doubt in my mind that the one factor that has plagued this franchise more than anything in the playoffs has been the utter lack of depth on the perimeter. From Shandon Anderson/Howard Eisley, through Marquis Daniels and Stackhouse all the way down to Ronnie Brewer and Matt Harpring, our stars have never had the luxuries supporting their counterparts. That has been the difference.

This is a toast to Von Wafer, 6'5, 23 years old, for bringing hope to Clutch City for a different outcome.

[​IMG]
    Mario Elie - 1993/1994 through promotion into the starting lineup in mid WCF 1994/1995 - greatest backup swingman in Houston Rockets history.

#1 thacabbage, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Von is the man. I love this team.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

_________VonWafer____________VonWaferV
    ______VonWaferVonW_______VonWaferVonWafe
    ____VonWaferVonWaferV___VonWaferVonWaferVo
    ___VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaf_______VonW
    __VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaf_________VonW
    _VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVo_______VonW
    _VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaf______V
    VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferV__Von
    VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVo_Von
    VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaf
    VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWa
    _VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVon
    __VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferV
    ____VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaf
    ______VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVo
    _________VonWaferVonWaferVonWaferVonW
    ____________VonWaferVonWaferVonWaf
    ______________VonWaferVonWaferVo
    _________________VonWaferVonWa
    ___________________VonWaferV
    _____________________VonWaf
    ______________________VonW
    _______________________Vo

Big things expected from Von this playoff season.

DD

4. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Your starting to scare me a little with your obsession with Von.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My hope? That Von Wafers become the stuff of Rocket Legend, Robert Horry type legend. That I can tell my kids some day....That was when the World took notice of Von Freakin Wafer.

then kid say's, "Isn't Wafer a cracker? Facepalm/

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

DD gets a little carried away with his love and hate for particular players.

Von is the first player that I actually think deserves the love though.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I expect the pace and intensity of the game to give him some trouble but overall I think he is going to be an asset in the playoffs. He is just too talented to not get his on the offensive end. The best news is that if his jumper goes Luther Head on him he will take it to the rim ferociously.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

King, I think he is going to be real good, but I am afraid he is going to get some mullah and make a mad dash to the starting lineup of another team.

For now, just going to appreciate an athletic wing off the bench that puts enormous pressure on opposing defenses.

DD

PS. I hope when Artest goes Tonto, that Adelman calls in the Wafer cavalry.

9. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

all he needs to think about is, when in doubt of shooting, TAKE IT TO THE HOLE VON; that makes him so affective

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

If he does leave because we can't afford him. You know Morey is gonna move Tracy's contract at the deadline and bring in somebody good.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I wasn't the biggest Wafer fan early on, but I have come to really enjoy his game. He bring some great energy off the bench, and the dude attacks the basket. He will occasionally be too aggressive, but he's starting picking up some nice assists. I definitely want him to get the bulk of minutes over Barry at this point, and I never thought I'd say that a few months ago.

My wife and I call him the Red Baron.

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Had you asked me a few months back, I would have predicted that Barry would get the bulk of the minutes in the playoffs, due to his experience. But now, I just can't see Adelman going away from what got him here in the first place, especially with Barry's struggles.

14. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Al Capone approves this thread.

15. Electro

Electro Member

playoffs edition, nice.

VONZILLA

-

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

mario von wafer elie

rrrroooooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Also, IN on page one.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It flies both ways.

One could say he's effective when he takes it to the hole. But what allows him to take it there? His outside jump shot. It has to be guarded. If the defender didn't have to guard his jump shot, they could prevent him from getting into the paint. However, if Wafer couldn't get into the paint, the defense could smother him on the outside and prevent his jump shot.

The fact that he has an excellent jumpshot and is pretty good at taking it to the rim makes him a nightmare to guard for backup players especially.

I really hope Wafer gets a deal similar to Landry.

19. Asian Sensation

Sweet thread. This is very Tinman-esque with new flair. ***** stars for you.

20. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

The problem most likely won't be money it's going to be playing time.
    Von has to see the big hole at the 2 spot with T-MAC out.