1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

violation - running red light question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, May 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Ok, so I just got a $75 fine for running a red light. I went to the website and watched the video of me running the red light. I didn't actually run a red light, I just didn't come to a complete stop when turning right on a red. There was no one coming to the left when I slowed down and the light had just changed. I know technically when it turns red, it's like a stop sign. Should I just pay the $75 since I guess technically I ran the red light, or should I try and argue it, since no one was around and I was simply turning right, not going through an intersection?

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Hmmmm....good luck with that. I know you won't be the first to argue the whole "right turn on red" issue.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Yeah, I know. So I should just go ahead and pay it, huh?

I can't count the numbers of times I have done that and a cop was right there and could give 2 sh!ts. Furthermore, I can't count the number of times I've seen cops do the same. Obviously that's a terrible argument, but still, it's annoying that these god damn cameras can give crap tickets like this when I've never gotten in trouble for doing the same thing around cops.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yes pay it. I did the same. There is nothing we can do. It is a law, we have to stop.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I think I may have rolled a red light turning right, the exact same thing I did before, again a week ago. I'm going to be annoyed if I get another ticket for the same thing, lol.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I've heard from a few people that these camera tickets don't really get enforced if you don't pay. Not sure if its true or not.

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

rolling stop/turn is a violation. pay up.

8. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

What you described was running a red light so pay up.

9. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

$75 is peanuts for running a red light. In SF, if you get caught by the red light cameras, it is usually a $300-$450 fine, depending on the intersection.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

are they on crack!!! :eek:
    300$!!!

Rocket River

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The $75 is only the camera red lights right? Isn't it more if a cop actually pulls you over?

12. Classic

Classic Member

You're guilty and big brother was watching! Better pay it.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Looks like you know you did wrong and are admitting it. Like a good citizen (whether you were born in the U.S. and A. or outside), do you part and pay for the fine or it will be in the back of your mind for the rest of your life when you knew you should have paid it. :eek: Good work admitting this, sir.

14. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

I was reading somewhere that these cameras have not really stopped the incidence of accidents at intersections due to running lights, just has increased revenue stream for cities.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

"Technically" running a red light is still running a red light. Rolling through it or blatantly running it doesn't matter. Whether you were turning right or going straight doesn't matter. Whether there were other cars around or not doesn't matter. These aren't acceptable excuses. You still committed a violation and you won't get let off the hook. Just pay the fine.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Was someone honking at you?

17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Not sure how true it is, but I've heard that the only thing they do when you don't pay is send it to a collection agency that effects your credit. It's suppose to be like a parking ticket as in there won't be a warrant if it goes unpaid.

18. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

yep. same thing happened to me. nothing you can do except pay. the law says "you have to make a COMPLETE stop, with signal light turning right, doesn't matter if there's cars or not. sigh =='

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

That sucks that you got caught. If there wasn't an accident, this type of violation is annoying and painful for your wallet.

Buy a couple of scratch tickets, turn on some of N.W.A.'s "F*** the Police," and hope for the best. :p

Really, though, you might as well pay it. Here in AZ, the fine is hefty for running the red. $75 isn't too, too bad.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Can you post the link of you running/turning on the red light so we can superficially judge you and/or the legal system some more?