1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young hints at desire to be in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by KDJ3, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's a convenient story but I call bull****. He came out that year because he was a potential #1 overall pick. It wouldn't have mattered if Houston drafted first or last.

Yates may never be a Pro-Bowler but he's proven he fits in our system and can manage games. I'd take that everyday over VY's better talent and bigger headache any day.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

"manage games" has become the most overused mumbo jumbo ever. what does that even mean? that you suck, but have the ability to hand the ball off without fumbling 40 times/game, and can complete a couple short passes? can you give me an example of an nfl qb who doesn't have the ability to "manage games"?

give me somebody that possesses the ability to win games by carrying the team if need be if schaub goes down.

4. xcrunner51

Nice sentiment but no front office builds a team that way. Schaub doesn't even carry the team when he's healthy, why would his backup attempt to? You lose QB1, you try to play up your team's strengths and minimize your weaknesses. In our case its focusing on defense and the run game while making sure the QB doesn't turn the ball over, i.e. a game manager. It'd be stupid to fundamentally change the way we play football when the backup QB comes in.

I think you're not giving Yates his due. In his rookie season, he engineered a road comeback win that clinched the playoffs AND won a playoff game. Talented or not those are big accomplishments. For reference VY has never won a playoff game.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why would he be a distraction for a team based in Philly?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think I have enough GIFs for this topic, but I'll give it my best shot.

Not safe for slow internet. You have been warned!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

silly point. matt schaub has never won a playoff game either. i guess they should promote yates to qb1.

the ravens game was possibly the worst game i've ever seen a quarterback play. i understand that beating baltimore on the road in the playoffs is a lot to ask of him, but that also pretty much makes my point. maybe tj yates will be a capable qb someday, but this year certainly isn't the time to hope he turns the corner in the event that schaub gets injured again.

i'm still in the minority, but it blows me away that insuring schaub with a capable veteran backup qb hasn't been a priority. superbowl hopes are reduced to 0% if schaub gets hurt and yates is our backup qb.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yates is already three times the quarterback VY is, by the way.

I would be in favor of signing VY on as a ball boy, but then VY would be within 10 miles on the Texans on a regular basis, and we absolutely cannot have that.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

it's vince young man. he's a thug. he's a bad seed. he's a distraction everywhere he goes. he's a locker room cancer. tears teams apart with his crazy antics. don't believe me? ask jeff fisher.

10. xcrunner51

You sound ridiculously entitled, as if Yates was the reason we didn't win the SB.

It's getting a little crazy seeing what the fanbase is expecting after one good season. Y'all want Pro-Bowlers starting at every position and expect the backups to just as good without any regard to the salary cap. After seeing what they had to this off-season just to keep Arian and Myers, you think the FO gives two ****s about throwing money at the backup QB position?

Yes, SB hopes go to 0% if Schaub gets hurt. Duh. There's not a single team in this league that will make the Superbowl without their starting quarterback.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

you sound like you don't know the meaning of "entitled".

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

really? that statement is so stupid, and it seems you havent seen a lot of football.

what about jake delhomme 5 INTs and a fumble in a playoff game,

what about curtis painter all last season?

why do you hate yates?

13. xcrunner51

How so? You sound like the Texans owed you a good season and screwed that up by having to play Yates.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

now you sound like you just asked somebody what "entitled" means, and rearranged your meaning to make it make sense.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

it's stupid? how do you know what football games i have seen??

i don't hate yates. i just don't want him being the starting quarterback of the houston texans at any point in the 2012-2013 season.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Not this again.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How many teams can go with their 2nd string QB into the playoffs and win games?

I dont want to see anyone but Schaub on the field for the Texans next year. But, if our starter goes down, very, very few teams would be in a position where they would be comfortable with the 2nd stringer. What Yates did last season for the Texans was HUGE, considering that he entered the year as the 3rd string QB and a ROOKIE. He won a playoff game...that alone should put him among the top half of 2nd string QBs in the NFL. Sure, he sucked against the Ravens...then again, he was playing the Ravens on their field. Not exactly an environment that many QBs strive in .

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

who cares about other teams? we proved that we can. with a "game manager". we have a great d and a great run game. with the pieces in place to utilize a great passing game too, if there's a capable qb in there.

do you think it would have been impossible to win that ravens game with any backup in the entire league? there's no qb that could have played any worse than yates did.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Before he even threw a pass for them

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgX4ZXYW66M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgX4ZXYW66M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Admittedly the media made TOO much out of NOTHING there.

Not saying he's a distractor. But he distracTED. that put immense burden on the team starting the season.

20. Asian Sensation