1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Videos of Wilt Chamberlain

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jturbofuel, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Videos of his last 5 games of the 1957 season have surfaced. I still think he would be an elite center if he played in todays game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S8JuK2dVky0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

none of those crazy entry passes would make it to Wilt in today's NBA. Defenders are too big, smart, and strong. He'd be good in today's game, but there's no way he'd post the numbers he put up in the old days. I'd say 25 and 12 or something like that.

3. QazQay

QazQay Member

Javale Mcgee in today's game

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you want to play time travel, then you have to put him in the modern times too, that includes advancement equipment, training, medicine, nutrition.

he would destroy everybody.

also keep in mind, back in the day, dunking was not allowed
    plus there was no 3 point line , the lane was clogged

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I agree with this. He was just crazy ahead of his time.

6. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I didn't see him getting techs for the dunks in the video.

7. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

DEM ARMS. Amazing stuff. I think if he were to grow it today, he would be taught to shoot high and take advantage of that length. Might make him more deadly. I see him putting same #'s as Shaq if he played today.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not saying he wouldn't be great now, but you almost can't take this video seriously because the competition was so overmatched. It's like watching a dominant high schooler now. His teammates just had to put the ball near the rim and he got it.

He could certainly play well in todays NBA, I'm just not sure he would be dominant.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought they didn't allow dunks in the nba, but they did in the ncaa

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This is college basketball by the way.

11. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

He's more impressive than I thought he would be. Really amazing hands and agility.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even in this era, his size, huge hands, leaping ability, and ease of running the floor would make him very likely a 1st pick.

13. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

I always heard about his speed, but seeing him running the court on that one fastbreak at around 50 seconds in the video was just crazy

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: he's 20 yrs old in those videos.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's crazy quick for a big dude. He's all over the place.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

We also have to throw in his willingness to takeover a game scoring-wise ("can do mentality"), speed, passing ability, endurance, and knowledge of the game.

Sidenote: I don't know why people often overlook the fact that Wilt averaged more assist per game than any other center in history and once lead the league in assists.

If you put him in today's game, 2013... who actually stack up against him from head to toe.

1 person likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

from the high post he can shoot and hit cutters like pau gasol.

in the low post he has a soft touch plus the ability to finish strong when needed like tim duncan.

he ran the floor as fast as the guards did like hakeem.

he was a lightweight back then but in modern times, with what he know about athletic training today, dude would've had dwight's physique.

he would dominate today like he did back then. i'm not saying he would score 100, and average 22 rebounds per game, because the competition would be better. but i think it's fair to look at other great centers like hakeem, duncan, dwight, etc... and imagine similar MVP type numbers

18. psk

psk Member

this is the most important thing to consider when trying to compare players of different eras. people seem to think they can just drop a player in a different era without changing their environment. give him all the modern day advances (he played in CHUCK TAYLORS) and it's completely different story.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thought it was going to be p*rn :eek:

1 person likes this.
  20. NotChandlerParsons

The amazing thing is that when he blocks his team almost always retains possession.