1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Yao Ming takes off boot, sinks 92/100 free throws

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 31, 2010.

1. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

He didn't even need a rebounder for his 1st 2 shots :grin:

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

With his new "big body", maybe he can just overpower guys like SHAQ does? YAO + FAT = SHAQ + JUMP SHOT

3. amaru

amaru Member

Next he'll "shut it down" for......umm next season.

;)

4. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

it seems as he has one leg skinnier than the other :eek:

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Lolll.

6. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

That is normal.

I once had a cast put on, for one month, and when they opened it, my leg shrank!

It will take time for Yao to redevelop that muscle mass, much less, regain his sense and CONFIDENCE in his footwork and balance.

After reading the Kevin Garnett stories this year, I'm kind of glad Yao is resting through this entire year.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

theSAGE

7. bloop

bloop Member

LOL

dress him for techs. that idea kicks ass

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

No NOT pointless

I only wrote that HALF in jest as I seriously believe there's a recurring theme to Yao's injuries that involves BONE related issues.

Yes - Yao takes a pounding every time he moves his 300 lbs frame up and down the court. But that's why I think ALL THE MORE, he needs a real nutritionist to examine his diet.

For the record, I am Chinese and I eat LOTS of Chinese food. But growing up in America, I can tell you, and even my 'rents will tell you, the availability of dairy and cheese here is a Godsend when it comes to healthy and STRONGER bones. And you know what? I believe it.

Milk, cheese, yogurt, pizza - this ain't a public service announcment for the dairy board, but all that calcium esp. when kids are kids go a long way toward making stronger bones. Fact, not fiction.

And for further fact, just look at Yao's injury history. It's so obvious to me, I feel like it's a no brainer.

1. Infected Toe Injury (bone related - osteomyelitis)
    2. Broken left foot
    3. Knee Injury (broken bone above the knee)
    4. Broken bone in left foot

For those of you who are curious about the medical terms...
    Osteomyelitis is an infective process which encompasses all of the bone (osseous) components, including the bone marrow. When it is chronic it can lead to bone sclerosis and deformity.

Bottom line is the guy obviously has recurring issues with bone problems. In a time when the dude is actively trying to HEAL, why not look into his diet some and amp up all bone related nutrients that can help him?

Bone is living. And insofar as what I know of science, he's still at an age where the body "seeps" up calcium for bones.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

theSAGE

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

A very large %age of Asian people are lactose intolerant--or become so as they reach their adolescent years.

I'd imagine that he's already taking calcium supplements as part of a multivitamin or something like that..

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Some interesting comments by Yao this year:

Morning News Reporter: What do you think about Houston Rockets’ performance in this season so far?

Yao Ming: Quite good so far; they had been playing pretty entertaining basketball.

Morning News Reporter: You had this successful operation to repair the fracture on your left foot since July 22 last year; and this is also the very first time in your career that you have to leave the court for so long. Will you be worrying about problems that you will encounter when you recover and return to your team?

Yao Ming: To be honest, I don’t think I can play with the Houston Rockets in their current play style. Therefore it will be either they have to change to accommodate me, or I need to change to accommodate them, and it looks highly likely that I need to change to accommodate them.

Morning News Reporter: But, from Rudy Tomjanovich, to the interim head coach Larry Smith, then to Jeff Van Gundy and now to Rick Adelman, under the different playing styles of the various coaches, you had changed a lot already. Moreover, now, you talk about making changes again, how likely is it?

Yao Ming: Yes, you’re right; definitely it won’t be easy. After all, men have constraints and limitations in their abilities, and I have been stereotyped and molded somehow. However, if I don’t strive to change my game, and if by then, they therefore have to replace me because of that, then I have no alternatives. Therefore, definitely I will strive to make changes and adjustments to my game (to accommodate the Rockets) and that is definitely beyond doubts.

Morning News Reporter: Your contract with the Houston Rockets will expire this summer. So what is your plan now?

Yao Ming: Well, let’s put this aside first. You’ll know by the time comes.

11. bloop

bloop Member

1) you are chinese

2) chinese believe random crap about how their diet explains personal or racial inadequacies.

Yao does not have osteomyelitis.

Yao's injury isn't the result of a calcium deficiency, it's an INJURY due to impact.

No amount of milk could have in any way mitigated his injury. Lack of milk, just like lack of nutrition can result in a calcium deficiency in children but more milk doesn't make your bones any stronger than maximum or prevent injury any more than eating more than the body's requirement of protein (meat) will make you taller or stronger. It'll just make your kid fat, and possibly shorter, if it results in too much hormone being released.

And dont post crying about Yao's physical condition. There's no point and no benefit to Yao being in playing condition 6 months before the fact. And even if Yao wanted to, there's no way to be in NBA playing condition without actually playing in the NBA. It'll take half a full season for Yao to get back his fitness. Just relax. I understand it's cultural but that crap about the chinese diet doesn't make any sense to ppl outside of china

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Keep believing this.

Especially (2) when the Rox establishment and their doctors have come out and said as much back when.

Impact yes. Size/mass yes. But to think there's no trend here is seriously putting the blinders on. Who doesn't get banged up in the NBA? It's part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's AMAZING a man his size can do all he can do. But the rigors that is the NBA has exposed to fact that maybe, just maybe, his body wasn't meant to take this sort of day-in-day-out impact. I repeat, HIS BODY ain't meant for this.

There's no shame in it as he wouldn't be the first big man to suffer from such injuries. But c'mon we're in the 21st century. Science. Knowledge. Dr. Phil. I mean surely there's more knowledge out there in the realm of nutritional help to help Yao heal stronger.

Either you believe that diet is important or you don't.

Me - I do.

And for further proof that milk works, I will now submit plaintiff's exhibits A, B, and C.

:)

IgotsMilkSAGE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rest my case.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Space City

hayden panettiere would get it

14. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

I counted at least 7 logical fallacies.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well...maybe. But first we have to MAKE the playoffs. :grin:

16. Throwback9495

Throwback9495 Member

Man I love Yao ming, I also love how everyone is acknowledging how much of a presence he is in the middle, and how much his shotblocking, shotmaking, and rebounding contributes to the team. GEt well soon Yao

17. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Get some knowledge kid. Your racial stereotyping just reflects your idiocy.

The traditional Chinese diet has high carbohydrate, low protein, and definitely low calcium. Given that bone density has a direct correlation to impact related injuries, a high calcium diet would help minimize impact related injuries. Thankfully Yao is male, as calcium absorption drops off exponentially after the age of 30 for women.

So for Yao to consume something like milk, which is both rich in calcium as well as high protein, it's actually extremely beneficial.

18. FFz

FFz Member

most asians are lactose intolerant... thats why our diet doesnt have that much milk/cheese/yogarts. I'm sure the dude has a nutritionist monitoring him...

19. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

wow yao can be a 90% freethrow shooter and with his lowpost presents could be scary.......

20. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

Chicken or the egg?!

This is a silly argument. Not because one side is right and the other wrong, but because you can rest assured that the Rockets organization is, and has been, looking at Yao's health from every possible angle.

More on topic, get well soon Yao. Make a few more playoff runs before you call it a day.