1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Vernon Maxwell update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His Clutchness is spending his days golfing,
    looks in good shape.

Morey. get it done.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l7OazEAjHW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Not a bad swing. I would love to have Vernon back with the Rockets as some sort of assistant. Maybe even a commentator.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RIQkkTb6NaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

He did mention he still comes back to Houston every so often to play golf here

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The person who posted those vids is named "kendallphills" .... the late Bobby Phills' wife had that same name. I wonder if it's her?

6. tinman

Supporting Member

were Bobby Phil's and Max buddies?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

they will have to bleep out a lot of comments if he's the old vernon we know.

8. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

I was a big Max fan and still kinda
    like him but its hard to forget him quitting on the '95 team...in the freakin playoffs!

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever seen an ex-player and son have such an identical shot. It's an exact replica.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He was just pissed because Clyde took his minutes and he wanted to play and let Rudy know about it. Bad attitude but he was a competitor and felt he could still help. He could have but not they way he wanted. Anyway I heard Rudy say he was cool with it so no reason to hold it against him.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

they buried the hatchet along long long time ago.

All of Vernon's ex teammates have been spreading love lately, Horry on the Simmon's podcast, Kenny on NBA TV.

I loved that backcourt. Kenny/Sam and Vernon/Mario

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No idea, but I just noticed they both played for the 97-98 Charlotte Hornets. Maxwell was signed to a 10-day contract when Phills and Del Curry were hurt.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Is Phill's number still retired after the move?

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I believe a trainer for the Bulls, who worked with MJ during his time there once said that Vernon Maxwell had the best basketbody ever. His body fat was similar to MJ, or better, but his head took away his talent.

15. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

is that because the head stores saliva?

16. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

When idiots call the Rockets' championships the asterisk championships it reminds me of what I heard a long time ago. MJ hated playing against Max because Vernon would talk trash the whole game...and he was crazy enough to believe he was an equal to MJ.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when it happened, and don't if it's true... but the Rudy and the Rockets said Vernon's minutes actually went up when Drexler came, but that Vernon didn't like losing the starting position.

I hope Vernon is doing well. I liked him, and appreciate what he did for our team, despite my frustration at the problems everyone is familiar about with him.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Exactly how I feel.

In 1994, Mad Max was clutch, absolutely hard as nails and without him we wouldn't have sniffed the championship.

In 1995, Vernon Maxwell acted like a whiny little beyotch, a child who chose to sulk rather than help his team repeat.

It is really too bad that he chose what he did in '95, it sullied his legacy in Houston forever.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=215848

Horry on Vernon Maxwell
    "The thing about Vernon -- Vernon is probably the best athlete I ever played with. This guy was incredible. Fast as all outdoors. He could probably go to bed at 5 in the morning and play a 9am game and just go all out. He was an incredible athlete. If you played with Vernon, you know, out of everybody you played with, you know that guy has your back. No matter if you're wrong, he's going to be wrong with you. He's the ultimate teammate as far as being behind you. Sometimes, something goes down, you see guys mosey down there and try to be in the scuffle. If a scuffle happens, Vernon's going to be by your side. You respect a guy like that. He's your teammate, he's your family and he's going to play games with you."

20. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1549/rudy_t_reflects_on_rockets/

On sending Vernon Maxwell home in the 1995 NBA playoffs

He said he was hurt. He didn't like -- we had a meeting about the playing time. I told him he would play but I couldn't guarantee him more minutes and all of a sudden, a cramp developed in his hamstring [laughs]. He said he was hurt. So we said, "You probably should get some medical attention back in Houston" [and] we sent him home. I love Max. We had a great relationship. I loved his fire.

On the Rockets vs. Bulls debate

I finally got a chance to talk to Michael Jordan years [later] over at Barkley's house and he thought that the best matchup they would have had during that era was against us because of the way Max used to play him and how our big guys used to dominate their inside.