1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] The 23 threes by Rockets and the controversial finish angering Mark Jackson, Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here are all 23 threes the Rockets made last night (2/5/2013) against the Golden State Warriors, tying an NBA record for threes made in a game. You may have seen them, but if you missed the controversial finish and the fuming Mark Jackson, that's in this as well (that part starts at the 4:07 mark).

Draymond Green flagrantly fouled Patrick Beverley while going for the 24th three, which would have put the Rockets all alone with the NBA record. Green and Marcus Morris were ejected in the arguments that followed that foul.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="362" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xxbx5f"></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. King901

King901 Member

Was trying to see the whole thing that took place with Morris getting ejected.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Said it in the game thread, I'll repeat it here. I don't have a problem with either team's actions except for the Green foul.

Rox were trying to get a three every play despite not needing them for anything but the record. Warriors did a perfectly legal thing to prevent them from getting off threes. It's no different in a vacuum than fouling when up by three, a coaching decision that Clutchfans messiah JVG is huge on if I recall.

Don't think it's a big deal. Also, there's no such thing as "running up the score" in a game with a shot clock.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then he should have waited until tomorrow since he start caring about **** so late.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Let's try this again... this took way too long to put together to not post it.

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Yeah, I was wondering how Morris got ejected, as well. Did he get tech'd earlier in the game, and got his second when the flagrant II was called?

7. ejarts

ejarts Member

Jackson is a drama queen. he's gonna get fired soon. such a dck move. if artest was still in the team, the would've elbowed Jackson.lol

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If Kevin McHale got angry at Mark Jackson, then Jackson must have done something wrong with his instructions.

McHale is a tough BA, he's no sissy.

9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Lol at 3:36-3:45 the whoever is sitting on the Warrior bench

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Question for those that were at the Toyota Center: Did the scoreboard show or did the PA announcer say where the Rockets were in terms of history (i.e. arena record, franchise record, NBA record) for 3 pointers made?

I wonder where the "One more three!" chant came from. Did a bunch of fans just looked it up on their smart phone? The home TV crew were talking about the records but of course the live crowd doesn't hear, them, right?

Anyhow, I think the players and Mark Jackson both got caught up with the crowd's chanting. IIRC, GS wasn't even seriously defending the 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd made 3s, and started the intentional foul thing only after the crowd started the chant.

Also, which happened first? The Beverley dunk or the intentional fouling?

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I still don't understand why Marcus Morris was ejected. The box score says that he only had one Technical foul (in connection with that scrum after the Green flagrant foul). Sure, Green gets ejected automatically for committing a Flagrant-2. But why Morris? Seems like he should have been allowed to stay in the game.

Intentional fouling started AFTER the Beverley dunk/showboating.

12. Carl Herrera

Don't refs have the discretion of ejecting a guy even on the first T?

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i didn't see what he did, but maybe his actions warranted a double-tech

14. gah

gah Member

I'm almost sure they can. Isn't that what they did with Cousins at halftime?

15. ChippedToothLin

some major playa hatin' from the Warriors...

16. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

You know, I really really liked Mark Jackson as a player. He was the reason I became a Knicks fan the first time. And, actually, I quite like him as a coach.

But, come on, this is the guy that was pushing a broom around the Philly Spectrum after the Knicks swept the Sixers in OT in a friggin’ first round playoff series….The guy who taunted Michael Jordan by throwing a tongue at him as he went for a layup in an early game in the second round series (a series that MJ then went off in and the Bulls ultimately won 4-2).

That he’s upset with ANYTHING that Beverly or any of the Rockets did last night is just laughable.

Oh, and thanks for the video, Clutch. Very cool stuff.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Initially, they showed the team record was 17 like in the 3rd quarter on the big screen. They probably showed the record was tied at 23, but didn't notice, cause I knew before hand when I looked it up on the Rockets' Wikipedia page. About 2 weeks ago, they started showing random game related tweets on the bottom of the screen while the game was going on, it may have been mentioned in a Tweet.

Beverly's dunk happened before the intentional fouling. If you caught the defense after the Morris block, you can tell Warriors' defense was heavy beyond the arc, which was why Beverly had an open lane for a dunk.

btw, nice that Clutch has a Dailymotion video, although I watch "other" videos on there :p

Also did anybody notice Jarett Jack going towards/shouting at Bernie Jr? Ricksmith mentioned that he saw that after the buzzer sounded from his Club Seats.

#17 Dave2000, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  18. gah

gah Member

I'm almost sure they can. Isn't that what they did with Cousins at halftime?

19. Carl Herrera

Right. But IIRC, GS started basically defending with all 5 guys forming a shell at the 3 point line before the dunk (which is how Beverley got an open dunk opportunity in the first place... insufficient help D around the basket).

Anyhow, I think the stare-down is a bit much and you get T-ed up for staring at opponents whether in this situation or when Mutombo did it after a block with the finger wag. I don't think it means Beverley is a bad guy or anything, though... Just got swept away with the crowd's emotion, understandable considering his relative inexperience in the NBA and that he (and the rest of the crew on the floor) mostly play garbage minutes when no one in the stands care any more. I don't think he'll do this stare-down thing again. I mean, at his pay grade, $2000 fine is still real money.

Other than that, I have no problem with the team still shooting and scoring in garbage time. Garbage time for those guys are their opportunity to (1) get experience practicing execution of the team's strategies, and (2) show the coaches that they are ready to play regular minutes should the opportunity arise. It makes no sense if they are not playing the same way that they'd be asked to play if put into the normal rotation-- and this is true whether we are talking about the garbage time crew for the winning team or the losing team in a blowout.

For example, look at James Anderson in the game vs. Utah. The Utah guys got a bit upset at HOU allegedly "running up the score," but Anderson playing well was probably important to letting the coaches have confidence in giving him rotation minutes when Delfino went out with an injury, and may well have saved his Houston career (as oppose to being cut if a trade creates a need for an extra roster spot) or even his NBA career (no guaranteed $ beyond this season).

20. bongman

bongman Member