1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White highlights vs. Iowa Energy (3/5/2013)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Crabdribbles, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Crabdribbles

Crabdribbles Contributing Member

Royce White puts up 10 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks vs. Energy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_r1g85lRO2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Read more of my analysis at Crabdribbles.

5 people like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the video. Royce actually looked like he competed there. That's the first time I've seen that since the summer league games.

You're right that he has no offense though. His one "move" is just straight right handed penetration from the top. But the good news to me is that his shot, while not good, at least isn't broken. I could see it becoming better with time and conditioning.

Whether or not he'll put in the work on shooting and conditioning is the question.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He probably could have had 20 points with all the missed lay-ups. He misses so many easy lay-ups. He still needs to calm down.

4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I'll give it another month to really judge. I've watched a bit of these games, and the only times he gets the ball is off his own rebound. The offense does not revolve around him at all, he's usually only setting picks, with passes rarely coming his way. I'm assuming this is just the coach's strategy of getting him into basketball shape before featuring him in the offense. Expect more single digit stats for a while.

5. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Agreed, he looked like a man who has something to prove and is trying too hard, oh wait he does have something to prove.

After the stunt he pulled with the organization, it would not have been any other way.

I too see more points coming after he calms down.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it's a function of still being a bit out of shape, but it seems like his vertical is really, really limited. He uses his body well so he can box out and rebound and play a bit of defense, but against the longer NBA players, I think he is going to really struggle to get his shot off or effectively play inside.

Like I say, I hope it is just a function of him carrying some extra weight and his explosiveness returns. I remembered his vertical being better in college.

#6 RunninRaven, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  7. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

its sad that I get to watch more of Royce White in the D-league than I do the ROCKETS

#IhateCSNHouston

...sura faints

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Hopefully he keeps improving, now and through the summer.

One thing that struck me watching this video is he doesn't seem to have much going on with his left hand. There are times when he should switch hands while dribbling, but he sticks with his right 90% of the time. He also missed every shot he tried with his left.

Not a big deal in the Valley, but NBA defenses/scouting reports will pick up on that in a flash.

9. dchoye

dchoye Member

I glad to see that he's stop whining and started balling.
    Some guys on the Rox have travelled all over the world just to play basketball, so I really have no sympathy when he complained about playing for Rio Grande.
    Despite that, i hate to see talent wasted, so good luck R White.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

He moves like a SF...

11. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

yeah but he eats like a center..

12. nobie

nobie Member

he looks like very slow SF, but he have nice handles.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dude he needs to loose weight, great handles but just looks too fat and out of shape...

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wow, when this guy gets back in game form he will be a welcomed addition to our team!

15. alethios

alethios Member

What struck me was his style of running with the ball and scanning the floor is somewhat Lebron-esque. He has the talent no doubt, but does he have the mental toughness to make it in the NBA?

16. choujie

choujie Member

He plays like a 50 year old veteran.

17. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Looks like Oscar Robertson's floor and rebounding skills with Magic Johnson's shooting ability. Should only improve with conditioning and playing time.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Just becomes he looks around the court while he's dribbling does make him Lebron-esque. I don't know why these are called highlights...he missed like 90% of his layups and shots in these videos. Some of them from point blank range!

He does look like an out-of-shape veteran. He needs to work on trimming down his weight and get his shot going. Otherwise, he'll just be an AVERAGE D-Leaguer AT BEST.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While watching him play, Magic is the player I thought of when I said to myself "His passing is pretty sweet, but he needs to be able to pop a shot from 17-24 feet if they sag off of him. Magic had that set/push shot that was ugly as hell sometimes but he got to the point, he destroyed you with it if you backed off of him.

Royce should be a bit more quicker and fluid once he gets back in shape. Sadly, that may not be until next season.

20. TRAV

TRAV Member

anyone have the dr phil link