[Video Playbook] Scouting Game 2 Adjustments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mathrocker

Mathrocker Member

Yah 5 star thread for sure. Real analysis. Not generic "play harder" garbage

2. napalm_black

napalm_black Contributing Member

If Ryno shoots any kind of decently we win by 31 again in that game...

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Great thread.

Very interesting read.

Off topic but something I've always been curious about - how do you cut all this footage into small YouTube clips?

heypartner likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, great thread, much appreciated, going to look at this again before game 3 starts.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

@heypartner I noticed the lack of successful trapping after the initial burst and your observation that MDA immediately went to the chess game to stop them trapping makes sense.

They got out to that quick lead while we were occupied testing the proficiency of their trap.

Great posting.

Vivi, BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Contributing Member

DonKnock, heypartner and BigMaloe like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx. Agree with that. Plus, our defensive was not good in the 1st Q.

Want to emphasize that we can't be sure trapping was the main adjustment by OKC, just because they stopped doing it. It was using help defense off the shooters, which they continued doing throughout. Help is a requirement of using traps (since that is double teaming far away from the basket), but you can send help without using traps.

Traps with no help seems very dangerous, except when the PnPop is in the midrange area, and you're fine letting guys like LMA or Karl Malone shoot long twos. Against the Rockets, trapping with no help on the picker results in Capela going straight to the rim with a lot of space (see first play video and imagine Gibson didn't leave Ryno), or Ryno doing all the picking in 41-High and you are facing the math of open 3s vs long twos of other Pick n Pop tandems.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I gotcha. Will definitely be interesting to see how they come out tonight.

I hope to see more of the 3 man PnR and that Spain PnR in particular regardless of how they choose to adjust their coverage. Really liked those sets and I think they will be useful against SA because Leonard, Green, and Dedmon are all stout. Would be a good way to ensure Parker/LMA don't get hidden away from the action.