1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Pacquiao-Solis

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Highwire, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Highwire

Highwire Member

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

was a pretty good fight, I was worried about Paquiao wasting alot of his energy in the 6th/7th round, but came back beautifully, great victory for Pacman

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

thx for posting.

4. BullFan

BullFan Member

Paq man was da man. As usual.

I only wish Villoria could follow his lead. Man he sucked last night.

5. windfern

windfern Member

Viloria thought that his opponent was already giving up. He was stunned when his opponent came back fighting.

But I don't agree with the judges decsion, that should have been a draw. Viloria won the first 6 rounds.

6. Caboose

Caboose Member

solis said after the fight that his wife hits harder then pacquiao...what an idiot. i guess his wife can knock him out.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Edgar Sosa and Julio César Chavez Jr. won!! :D

and Bad fight by Jorge Arce

8. Highwire

Highwire Member

NO problem.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I missed this fight... 'cuz I went to the ROCKETS' GAME... :)

:( Kinda sad to see Pacquiao be the executioner of all the Mexican boxers... SPEED vs. STRENGTH ~ SPEED wins. Pacquiao is the best right now; there is no doubt about that.

"Manny Pacquiao - El Terror de los mexicanos" :cool: He deserves this title.

10. windfern

windfern Member

Pacman win disappoints trainers

Cebu Daily News
    Last updated 02:11pm (Mla time) 04/16/2007

Filipino ring idol Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao dismayed multitude of Filipinos and disappointed his trainers - Freddie Roach and Justin Fortune - when it took him eight rounds to defend his World Boxing Council International Super Featherweight belt.

Pacquiao returned to the ring at the Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, where he first shocked the world, clearly toying with erstwhile undefeated Jorge Solis of Mexico before unleashing a lethal right-left combination punch to knock out Solis in front of a bigger crowd of close to 15,000.

Roach, who flew in from Puerto Rico Saturday morning just to be in Pacquiao's corner, said his prized ward's performance merited a five on a scale of 10.

"He was toying around," said Roach. "He knows that he can readily beat Solis so he wasn't that serious."

Roach certainly is the best person to grade any Pacquiao performance.

The American trainer has been chiefly responsible for Pacquiao's metamorphosis from a no-holds-barred slugger into a speedy, complete hard-hitter. And more than that, he had a front-row view of how devastating the Filipino ring icon can be when he is at his serious best.

Although Roach merely put in a cameo performance at the Pacquiao corner Saturday night - he was focused on prepping Oscar dela Hoya for the Golden Boy's match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. - he was a more active participant in Pacquiao's fight previous to this, the one that had pundits ranking the Pacman as the best in the world pound-for-pound.

That was when Pacquiao fought fierce nemesis Erik Morales for the third time, the final page in their trilogy. On that November evening in Las Vegas, Pacquiao bucked a fever he woke up to on fight day and put on a clinical boxing performance that destroyed the Mexican ring legend in three rounds.

Pacquiao needed five more to end the unheralded Solis' bid to gain world prominence via an upset.

And even then, Roach felt Pacquiao needed a wake-up call in the form of an accidental Solis head-butt to get into his true fight mode.

"It was only when he got cut, that he turned on the heat," said the two-time Trainer of the Year. "Solis is a good fighter, but he is not yet in the level of Pacquiao."

Roach is slated to fly back to Puerto Rico Sunday morning (Monday in Manila) to continue training De la Hoya.

Fortune, who took over Pacquiao's training echoed Roach's sentiment.

"He could have beaten Solis earlier," he said. "But he was taking it easy, until blood flowed."

Pacquiao has been known to slack off when fighting the lesser lights in his division.

In Manila last year, the congressional candidate found himself backed against the ropes under a vicious and steady rain of blows from challenger Oscar Larios, who was a killer punch away from ending Pacquiao's vise-like grip on the super featherweight ranks.

That near-slip also jolted Pacquiao to his senses. He hammered out two knockdowns before forging a decision against the then lightly regarded Larios.

Pacquiao encountered initial difficulties against the taller Solis, who kept using his jab against the lefty congressional candidate. As the rounds wore on, however, Pacquiao's power proved to be the deciding factor as Solis slowly wilted under the two-fisted assault, going down twice in the fateful round.

Solis attempted to hit Pacquiao with straight jabs in the earlier rounds but could not penetrate the champion's defense.

In round 6, an accidental head butt that cut the skin under Pacquiao's left eyebrow spurred him to send Solis to the canvass for the first time in the match.

"Noong naputukan ako, inapura ko na (When I got cut, I pressed on)," Pacquiao said. "Baka kung ano pa ang mangyari (Something untoward might happen)."

Pacquiao unleashed several shots to the head and body of Solis, and capped it with an uppercut to send the Mexican down for the first time. Solis stood up at the count of nine, only to be chased by Pacquiao sending him down again after a two-fisted attack. Solis did not get up after the second trip to the canvas.

Official time was 1:16 of the eighth, as referee Vic Drakulich counted out Solis for his first-ever career defeat.

Pacquiao added Solis to his growing list of Mexican victims to the dismay of the predominantly Latino crowd.

After conquering the Alamodome, Pacquiao looked up skyward, muttered a prayer of thanks before raising his arms in triumph.

"This victory is not only for myself, but for my country," Pacquiao said in television interview. "I only want to make the people happy."

The 28-year-old Pacquiao, who raised his record to 44 wins, 34 by knockouts, against three losses and two draws, claimed his fifth straight Mexican scalp after Hector Velasquez, Erik Morales, Oscar Larios and Morales again in the finale of their trilogy on November 18 last year.

Though Pacquiao's victory elicited boos and catcalls from the predominantly Latino crowd, many of them later joined the long queue seeking the Filipino superstar's autograph.

Solis, who suffered his first defeat after 32 wins, 23 by knockouts and two draws, later apologized for failing to salvage Mexican pride.

"I came very close to giving you a good fight, but I just couldn't carry his punches," Solis said in Spanish. "I lost to a great champion."

"No excuses. He's very fast, relentless and comes right at you," he added.

Aside from the estimated $4 million-$5 million purse, Pacquiao stands to receive about $2 million more from his share in the pay-per-view income.

Pacquiao was earlier given $800,000 by Solar Sports in exchange for exclusive TV rights of the fight.

In a post-fight interview, Pacquiao said he expected to fight again in September against either reigning WBC super featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez or Barrera.

WBC president Jose Sulaiman had already ruled that Marquez, who bucked three knockdowns in the first round to earn a draw with Pacquiao in their first meeting in 2004, must stage a mandatory defense against the Filipino later in the year or early in 2008.

Pacquiao, who is returning home Tuesday, said he would now concentrate on his bid for the lone congressional seat in the first district of South Cotabato.

"How I wish you would know what is in my heart, that I have felt the suffering of the people, and I want to help them the way I know," Pacquiao said. /Inquirer with a report from correspondent Salven Lagumbay

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/news/view_article.php?article_id=60664