1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Otis Thorpe Mix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great vid. def wish OT could have gotten 2 rings also

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

funny how we passed up on Drexler for McCray in the draft, was solid his first few years here, traded McCray for Thorpe, then traded Thorpe for Drexler

in the end, it came full circle for us :)

if only Hayes was a few inches taller, palm the ball, he'll be OT. OT never had a jump shot but palm the hell out of the ball.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I might vote for 2 Sandwiches on that one. Dude could throw those kinds of passes in the limited time he was here. He played qb in high school. 7'3 390 lb. quarterback - imagine that. Too bad he could never get in shape to play well for the Rox.

4. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Petersen was pretty good body off the bench at center. I think he had also been a hockey player and had a full set of dentures.

5. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Oh man, OT was so stinkin strong. Didn't he do a lock down on Karl Malone when there was a fight breaking out? I do remember when Mad Max went down and Otis carried him off the court to the locker room. He could't shoot jump shots but he could stinking hammer it down.

6. ACL1

ACL1 Member

he had a Dunk on Robinson in 1993 ( the year he was an allstar) that was unbelievable. cant find that video.

7. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

I remember thorpe being a free agent after his half season with portland,I always wondered why we didn't try to get him back,maybe we coulda put up a better fight against seattle that year...

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The original Mr. Intangibles? :p

#28 napalm06, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[video]Robert Horry on Otis Thorpe

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v8xdNx42DoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.nba.com/rockets/fans/rockets_team__the_90s_2012_03_01.html

Career: 14.0 ppg, 8.2 rpg, .546 fg%

Averages with Rockets: 15.8 ppg, 9.7 rpg, .559 fg%

With Rockets: 1988-95

Best 90's season with Rockets (1991-92):
    17.3 ppg, 10.5 rpg, .592 fg%

One of the most underrated power forwards of his time, Thorpe was a double-double machine who used his powerful physique and massive hands to gobble up rebounds and trigger the Rockets' fastbreak with his full-court, baseball-style passes that typically resulted in a bevy of layups and dunks. Thorpe remains the Rockets' all-time leader in field goal percentage, having hit nearly 56 percent of his shots while with the club.

#29 tinman, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Otis Thorpe was a no nonsense machine out there on the court.

11. BleedsRocketRed

Yeah, OT seems like the forgotten Rocket in my opinion. He was a huge part of our success in the early 90's and I hated when we traded him. Obviously it worked out for the better, but he needs to be recognized more often in discussions regarding Rockets history.

12. what

what Member

It took a non-rocket fan (who people call a troll) to point this out to other rockets fans. I mean tinman is the standard bearer for the #1 clutch city fandom: but don't sleep on me. From 1986 to roughly 1998 I know my rockets history rather well.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Tnx tinman, that was nice!

I think what the rockets organisation should've done in honour of the 90s, since most certainly the people in would be part of either both or one of the championships, is just honour the back-to-back and at least give all the integral players a call: Dream, OT, Cassell, Kenny, Elie, Horry, Drexler, Herrera, Cureton, Jent, Jones, Chucky Brown, Brooks, Chilcutt + the coaches Rudy T, Larry Smith and co.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

OT supposedly lives in Texas, he could and should've been there

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Blake Griffin huh?

If Jason Smith had run into Otis Thorpe, I guarantee you, Thorpe would not have been the discombobulated one sliding off the court.

16. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Blake Griffin?! Are you serious...Otis Thorpe didn't act like a b****. Guys like Otis Thorpe and Charles Oakley were the epitome of 80's-90's basketball. Blake Griffin is the epitome of the NBA's version of the Vagina Monologues.

17. thabeet

thabeet Member

badass question. crappy answer. anymore interviews from that night, tinman? i love these kind of old school 90s questions.

18. houseofglass21

Otis was an absolute beast and an underrated part of the 90's team

19. Asian Sensation

No doubt Otis was a beast but like all Rockets during the early and mid 90's... he's a product of the Dream. If you were good... The Dream made you great and turned you into a Champion (Cassell, Horry, Thorpe, Elie, Kenny, Mad Max) If you were already great he helped you achieve your career goal and helped get that elusive ring (Drexler). If you were a YMCA pick-up game All Star he made you a starting PG and helped you get paid (Matt Baloney). He also helped make guys like Matt Bullard and Scott Brooks Champions and relevant today.

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

GTFOOHWTBS

He's not a product of the Dream, get your facts straight. The guy beasted in 90-91 when he received player of the week honours and put up crazy numbers. He was the 9th pick in the 1984 draft, he was not just a good player you can just pair with Dream and he will make you seem good. The guy was a one man fast break, could block shots and was so strong, nobody could stop him!