1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Video] Olajuwon Working With Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Tang, Oct 6, 2010.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I definitely would want to recreate this on NBA2k11:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA17EiF3PKs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA17EiF3PKs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. acjeitherocket

lol...this

3. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Its amazing when I read the comments I thought people were overreacting
    But Ohh for a his age hakeem still has amazing fluidity ..
    He can still play .. Just Not 82 games ..
    DHoward is one my favs he doesnt have Hakeem's determenation but he's almost as humble ..

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The video really shows two glaring differences, I think. One is the release point of their shots. For some reason, Howard has always had a really low release point for a post player. Hakeem has one of the higher release points on his shot, well over his head. Sometimes Howard looks like he's launching a shot from the bridge of his nose.

The second thing is what I would (kind of stupidly) call "microquickness." Howard looks quick in that video, but if you study the first moment of a move or a change, Dream is still light years ahead of him, even at their current ages. Sometimes, when Howard looks smooth on a counter move in that video, he is really losing a lot of the "surprise!" that Hakeem gave to defenders with an amazingly abrupt instant of motion.

All that said, a lot of the lessons should serve Dwight well.

Don't you know that somewhere, some Magic coaches are watching that and rolling their eyes. Like, "oh sure, we NEVER told Dwight *that* before. Right. :rolleyes: " hee hee.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream showed Dwight the quick spin move after the pass
    this is it when Dream was quicker

it's fluid

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZJ0XjRzazg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZJ0XjRzazg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. Dream's shots and also have a higher arc than Dwight's. I'm watching that video and thinking Howard would have a hard time getting those shots off over a young Dream. Dream would probably bait him into the jump hook and then swat it to start a fast break.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cuSMjUTGQTg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cuSMjUTGQTg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Oh god, if Dhoward can learn half of what he learned with hakeem and implement it into his offense, DHoward is gonna be a beast this season...he might not be as smooth as Hakeem but his athleticism combined with this new knowledge is gonna be just unfair and im not even a fan of DHowad. May God ahve mercy on the souls of opposing centers this season :)

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man if Dwight learns those moves and uses them, he has the athleticism and strength to be another Hakeem.

Dang it....

DD

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

LOL! It will be a bad marketing for Air Jordan!

11. rimrocker

Blasphemer!

That's like saying somebody's the next Stevie Ray Vaughn because he memorized and can play all of SRV's licks. Let's see Dwight be creative. Let's see him come up with something new. Let's see him redefine the position. Hell, let's see him make one move as smooth as Dream.

Dwight will always only be Dwight. Very, very good, but not quite great like Dream.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. chinese

chinese Member

I blame Hakeem for saying "You can use these (moves) against bigger (center)",
    who else is bigger? Yao is the obvious target.

13. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

can anyone tell me why that is d howard not hill or patterson it is sad the lack of love that les &the rockets have i think les is to blame !!!!!loyalty starts at the top

14. rimrocker

Relax Francis.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

he can probably still start at center for the knicks

16. rocket3forlife2

We really need to ask Dream to play again. Lets make history!

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

completely agree on the release point...looking at the jump hook, Dream releases at just over rim level and towards the rim, while Howard releases bwloe rim level and up. That means the shot is spending more time in the air than in his hand, which means more liely to get blocked and less control.

Also, Howard is raising both arms too high...you want your body to tilt up on one side, so that it increases your reach on the side you're shooting from. When both arms go too high, your body will balance out your reach, making your overall reach lower than if you had kept one arm lower. Dream always went straight up with one arm and the other kept it low, sometimes to push defenders down.

The defense in quickness is all due to one thing. The psoas muscle. Howard clearly has mobility issues in his hip joint, which is evident by his inability to widen his stance when he pivots/spins. Dreams steps are much wider. Dream also pivots using the ball of his foot, while Dwight uses his heel. That's due to a tight/weak psoas. On that step-back shot Dream uses to avoid shot blockers, notice the hip extension he gets as he pushes off, while Dwight doesnt get as much. This tight muscle also causes hip rotation, which explains why he shoots fading back, rather than upright or forward like Dream. This muscle is the only muscle affecting the spine, hip, and thigh, which makes it important in total body movements.

What other movement does the psoas help with, besides rotating the thigh outward? Hip flexion. And who needs to flex the hip/thigh joint a lot? Soccer players when they kick or dribble the ball in the air. That's the connection Dream has with Nash, which is why they both have great footwork.

Dwight needs to strengthen this muscle to allow it to reach it's full range of motion. Sometimes i wonder why their trainers can't notice things like this. He needs to hire someone with more experience and a a wide field of expertise.

1 person likes this.
  18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Let me ask you something RV6....

...since I must admit to not know a fraction of what you seem to know about this......

.....about how long would it take for Dwight Howard to gain these muscles in his hips that you see he lacks? If that's all Howard would need to improve as an offensive player?

For me, I think lower body strength is a key, but I also believe that skill is just as important, if not moreso.

I think a lot of people tend to underestimate just how much sound fundamentals can be the biggest difference in a player's growth.

I remember back when Hakeem battled David Robinson routinely, how much better an offensive low-post player he was than the Admiral. Robinson was always an overgrown small forward to me, offensively.

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. You do what works for you.

What would work for Howard, to me, would be to pattern his game after a guy like Robinson (who was pretty much complete offensively, but didn't post anybody up more than five times in his entire career that I can remember), or more likely, Alonzo Mourning.....

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The muscle itself is just one muscle, well maybe one or two that surround it, but mainly one....really depends on how weak and tight it is and for how long...muscles like that can develop adhesions in the surrounding tissue, so that may need to be broken down also. It gets tricky because strengthening it alone is one thing, but then you have to get it in sync, get your brain to start firing it naturally again...anywhere from 2 months to 6 possibly..

Dream and nash have probably developed great efficiency in firing that muscle, among others, over decades of playing soccer. That simply can't be matched by Dwight, so it wouldnt turn him into Dream part II, but it would definitely improve his fluidity and be the difference between being an ok post player and a good one.

For example, on his spin move, Dream hardly stops. It's one fluid motion, which makes it hard to catch up to. Howard's slower and he sort of pauses a bit in the middle of it, to re-adjust his legs. He may never do it as quickly as Dream, but it should get him to where he doesnt have to pause. That may be the difference between clearing a defender or not.

I see what you're saying about skills, but in this case skills come from the body movement, so to have skills you need your body to move efficiently, effortlessly, etc. With this muscle it's not so much about it helping him become strong or stronger, but about the range of motion that it'll open up for him. This muscle can be associated to someone's rythm, much like in dancing, so it's very important in having fluid motion. It's just too important because it's the only muscular link between your spine and lower body.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/12/howard.olajuwon.ap/index.html

:eek: YOFs going to hate this!