1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Officials appear to miss Russell Westbrook backcourt violation (Ruled incorrect call)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

But but did you know his cousin plays baseball?

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NBA officiating is a joke!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This...hard to have sympathy for the refs when it was so obvious to everyone in the arena, watching at home, and on the court - even Westbrook tried to not touch it once it crossed the line before changing his mind.

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

NBA can't comprehend their own rules. Whether it's for or against the Rockets, it's still embarrassing to see

Tfor3 and Ramo$e like this.
  5. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

We won, so I can now say I don't blame them. This is what happens when you start changing rules. It looks like the ref who was explaining the none call to D'Antoni was trying to explain that it wasn't a back-court violation based on this specific rule change. The game needs be consistent. It should be the same throughout the whole game. The last two minutes shouldn't be the wild west. I do like the replay reviews though.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ronnie Nunn taking some heat on twitter for speaking wrongly. Sounds like he either didn't watch the play at first (unlikely, since he was responding to several plays, including OKC/HOU game), or he was defaulting to defending and siding with the refs, and assuming the change to the rule regarding momentum covered tipped balls, too. or something ... maybe he just shouldn't have siding with the call so fast.

^^^ woof, that was just wrong, and looks like he said that just moments before L2M came out, so had a night to digest it

||| this is after L2M. when the Douglass Price guy presses him again.
    vvv

#106 heypartner, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought for sure it was a backcourt violation, but I admit I became unsure when others were claiming it was not.

But now to the original point -- it would have been a nightmare to lose a game based on this call. And nothing would have or could have changed it. People would have just said things like, "Calls go both ways" or "It shouldn't have come down to that call".

Really scary they could miss something like this in the final two minutes of a big playoff game, essentially giving an extra possession (3 points) to a team.

8. heypartner

Where does he get 3 - 0 calls from?

I see two plays marked as INC (favoring OKC), None marked as IC, and two unmarked because only observable with enhanced video and its 1 for OKC and 1 for HOU.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. heypartner

All those replays lasting for minutes that gave Westbrook crucial rest (he had been playing entire 4th Q), yet all three refs decide to "Play On" on what should have been a basic call. It would have been horribly frustrating had we lost.

I can give them a very tiny bit of sympathy for the Momentum interpretation clouding their judgement, and how they either have to make the call or Play On, so can't huddle about it ... but then I remember it's the playoffs and they are hand-selected for their experience as elite refs.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perhaps some group think. They all saw it, saw the other 2 refs weren't blowing a whistle, so they didn't either.

But, the rules are a mess here. They should make it clear and consistent. Something like, "once it is in play in the front court, going to the back court is a violation." None of this momentum stuff. Refs got the call wrong because the rules are too complicated.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I still don't understand how when Westbrook fouled Nene around the neck and head how that **** wasn't looked at, then both times Bev touches Westbrook they go straight to the review.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We've lost games like that before. Remember the Finley out of bounds play?

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking about when it happened.

CCity Zero and Tfor3 like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this tilts the refs back in our favor for game 3.

Dopamine and Tfor3 like this.
  15. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Still don't understand why coaches can't challenge calls like in the NFL

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I have to be honest I still don't understand the backcourt rule haha. So tipping the ball counts as possession? In that case, it's definitely a backcourt. But I think the confusion is when possession is established.

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yup it's stupid. So on a rebound play under 2 minutes, a tipped ball going backcourt should be a backcourt if they retrieve it?

18. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Nope, that tipped ball going backcourt being a over and back only holds for in-bound plays, when the ball is under the control of the offensive team. In a rebounding scenario, the ball is loose and any player can retrieve it anywhere on the court.

19. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Only for inbounds, jumpballs IIRC... if he was carried by momentum to the backcourt in the last two minutes. (Think ball was thrown in the front court, player jumps to grab it but momentum of his jump carries him towards the backcourt.) Russell was not 'carried' to the backcourt by momentum, he tipped the ball to the backcourt. L2M reveals the backcourt violation should have been called, but was incorrectly not so.

20. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Momentum carries you into the backcourt... Really... What a sh**y, confusing, subjective, useless rule.