1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What HD Collection Should be Next?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 17, 2010.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It was only really official yesterday I think. Sort of what lead me to create the thread. "Another HD Collection? Hmm...wonder which one will be announced next?"

Yeah. HD ports will be available for download. Though I think it was "only" a rumor (nothing official?).

I think a lot of it is the pricing and what games are in the collection. A lot of people missed out on certain games. A couple of years later, if they see a collection of those games being released at a budget price (say $30), there's good reason to pick it up, especially if there are improvements.

For example, let's say I wait 3-4 years and I still haven't played Assassin's Creed. Maybe Ubisoft could come out with a Assassin's Creed Trilogy, with each game now in 3D (and/or Ultra HD), all for $30-$40. I'd probably check that out.

BTW, I think all the suggestions are good, though I do want to point out the difference in a HD remake and the type of thing I was thinking of. A HD remake of an older game (pre-PS2 era) likely won't happen in most cases. Basically like creating a brand new game (and, indeed, it will be priced as such). For the games I mentioned, they're basically taking the game as it was, running it through some "HD" conversion process, and then re-releasing it. Very little work for the developer to do (compared to another type of release anyway). Think of a studio releasing remastered versions of their films vs some sort of remake for a film (new actors, new storyline, new special effects, etc.). I doubt we'll see developers do many full remakes, but I'm hopeful they jump aboard the "HD Collection" bandwagon and re-release some of their older games. Don't know why games haven't copied movies in that area. Easy money.

2. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

I would love an HD remaster of the Bioware Xbox games like Kotor, and Jade Empire. Really a Kotor 1 and 2 remaster would be awesome with Obsidian releasing a director's cut of " The Sith Lords" with the game finished, since it was rushed to release.

Just to throw my two cents on remakes, Knights of the old republic with the Mass Effect engine and conversation technique.. I would drool...

Is the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia re-releases a PS3 exclusive, or are they coming to Xbox live as well?

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Final Fantasy,
    MGS,
    Jak,
    R&C

A lot of the collections are probably in development already.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man, this is me. I'll be getting a PS3 soon. I've got a huge backlog of games I want to play.

5. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Have you heard of Bionic Commando Re-Armed? It's a downloadable game for 360 and PS3. Amazingly true to the original late 80's game in gameplay mechanics with super vamped up HD graphics. It's one of my favorite games of all time, not just re-makes.

6. RC Cola

I haven't paid much attention, but it looks like it might be PS3 exclusive for some reason. I thought one or both might be on 360, but all the articles seem to say they are PS3-only.

Might be taking advantage of tools from Sony (maybe originally developed by teams working on GoW, Sly, Ico/SotC, etc.). IIRC, both trilogies appear to be from the PS2 versions, even though the Xbox (and PC?) versions were better. Could be part of the reason for being PS3-only. Plus Blu-ray and PSN not being too restrictive on size limits for downloadable games.

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Didn't know where else to post this, but for those who have beaten the Sly Collection, you get the following video which indicates Sly 4 is coming:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfjDUcaYMEo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfjDUcaYMEo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640"

Sucker Punch put the line Sly 4 on a movie screen in Infamous, but this the first video we've seen. Drool. I'd be all over a new Sly adventure on the PS3.

Also, according to Joystiq, Sony is making a big announcement December 12, the day after the VGA's. This certainly sounds like Uncharted 3 is about to get its big unveil.

8. RC Cola

I'm definitely looking forward to the VGAs. Not for the show itself (nominations seem horrible and the show will likely be as cringe-worthy as usual), but seems like we should be getting some good game announcements then. It would be awesome if we got something for Uncharted 3.