1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] Planescape Torment Sequel In Development (Torment : Tides of Numenera)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Linking to a NeoGAF thread since there are several parts to the story, and I think the thread sums it up nicely:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505002

Basically, the guys at InXile acquired the rights to Torment (but not the Planescape IP), and are getting a crew together to develop a sequel. Chris Avellone will be asked to help out, if it possible to do so while he works on other projects (e.g., Project Eternity).

As with their own title Wasteland 2, it sounds like there will be a Kickstarter project for this at some point.

2. RC Cola

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Planescape Torment is still one of my all time favorites. Amazing game.

Now, get off my lawn.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I never played it. Should I go back and give it a go? Do you think it last the test of time?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I thought that the guys who did the Baldurs Gate Enhanced edition for iPad had the license to do another PS.

6. RC Cola

I think so. The big things that stand out in the original are the story, writing, game design, etc., which all usually stand the test of time pretty well. Pre-rendered backgrounds can still look nice, though you might want some mods to allow for widescreen and other updates to the UI. The combat mechanics aren't that great (probably weren't great to begin with). But since you can get by most/all of the game without fighting (due to good design), it isn't really that big of a deal.

I posted this (and backed it) before even looking at the video or checking out the Kickstarter page. The concept art is fantastic. They have very talented artists at inXile (Wasteland 2 had great art too). I was somewhat skeptical of how they would tie this into the Torment name (given that's just about all they have the rights to), but the story does sound really nice and interesting (and...Torment-like). Was going to back it anyway since Wasteland 2 looks nice, but definitely more hyped now.

BTW, some people have problems with them putting up a 2nd Kickstarter before their first project is even finished. Brian Fargo talks about this in an update for Wasteland 2 (I think it might even talk about it in the Torment page). Long story short, by doing it this way, they can have their writers, designers, etc., (who aren't doing anything on Wasteland 2 right now) work on pre-production for Torment (and not just fire them all). In 8-9 months, when Wasteland 2 is ready, most/all of the pre-production on Torment will be done, so the main team working on Wasteland 2 can dive right into Torment (with everything having been properly planned and thought out in the months prior). Makes a lot of sense, although I know people still won't like this.

I'd have to look into it. inXile only has the rights to the name (which would include the themes and things like that). They do NOT have the rights to Planescape Torment. They CANNOT make a direct sequel to Planescape Torment, use the same characters, setting, etc. The other guys (their name escapes me) might have the rights to the franchise.

Or maybe they both have similar rights (i.e., not exclusive). Could even work together. Though I have more faith in inXile at this point.

7. RC Cola

Somewhere around 2-3 hours after going live, the project is over halfway funded. Some of the pledge levels are selling out quickly (or already sold out, like the nice $95 level).

8. RC Cola

The game is now fully funded. At ~$1.074M. Took ~7 hours to get to $1M (quickest of any game project on Kickstarter I think, including Ouya).

They're quickly trying to get together stretch goals I think.

9. RC Cola

They are just short of $2.1M (arguably at that point already including Paypal and the fact that Brian Fargo and a "mystery backer" will be matching up to $100K each). With the extra money, they've been able to allow for both genders in the game (the "first" stretch goal, but it was met before they got a chance to put it up). With the goals they've gotten so far, they'll basically be able to hire some talented writers/designers/composers to help create content for the game (read the Kickstarter updates for more specifics). At $2.5M (the next goal), they'll get George Ziets to help out, among other things. They'll also have Colin apologize for writing Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D.

10. RC Cola

Bumping this for the final ~21 hours of the campaign.

They've raised ~$3.77M on Kickstarter, and I think they have another $100K-$200K from PayPal. With stretch goals, they've been able to add a lot of good talent to the design/writing teams. This includes Chris Avellone, who will be ridiculously busy over the upcoming months (but glad he joined in on this...was hoping they'd get him).

They've teased some looks of what the game might/will look like (can't remember if they're 100% committed to this style):
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y4DJSEcjMsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Is2T5ue5d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Looks great IMO. Especially since I think these were basically tech demos they did in their spare time.

On a related note, they also announced a collaboration deal between them and Obsidian. They basically will share tech and tools.

Was slightly worried about the project at first, but Fargo and crew have done a lot to really ease most of my concerns. Still a massive game by a small studio (who has yet to produce anything truly great, though WL2 looks nice). But they really do seem to know what the fans want.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

The original game was FANTASTIC! I would actually dish full price for this game and I rarely do so for any game anymore.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Thanks for the reminder. $25 is a decent amount to risk for a digital copy even if it ends up being bad, and chances are it will be great.

13. RC Cola

They've reached the $4M goal. I'm hoping they get to $4.25M at least, where they're planning to extend the storyline and provide a codex for the the game (I love those). Also crafting, but I'm not too interested in that (though could be nice). The $4.5M goal is nice, but think $4.25M should be enough ($4.5M just seems like "more/better stuff").

I think I might have been quoting Project Eternity's PayPal totals earlier. I think Torment is right around $100K, though maybe it will end up close(r) to $200K.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Speaking of, you can get the original plus 9 others for $21 on GOG.com this weekend only!

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I love Kickstarter. They are bringing back some creative games or creating some great games without big Publishers taking control and ****ing up the games. Really enjoy the first Torment and looking forward to this one. Was a bit disappointed with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

3 hours to go now and they are at $4,041,991 plus paypal. Not sure if they will make the $4.25 or $4.5 million goals, guess it depends on what the paypal totals are at.

1 person likes this.
  17. RC Cola

About half an hour to go. They did get the $4.25M goal (including PayPal). Won't get $4.5M (I think?), but this is the most money raised via Kickstarter for a video game (Star Citizen has more money overall, but majority was raised outside Kickstarter).

Live wrap up party:
    http://www.twitch.tv/inxile_entertainment/
    Think I just missed Chris Roberts (and probably other good peeps), though I'm guessing we'll get some good stuff during this final countdown.

18. RC Cola

Forgot to update this earlier with final results.

They basically got ~$4.3M with Kickstarter + Paypal. It is unclear whether they'll count the ~$200K that was going to be matched (by Fargo and a backer IIRC). Think they initially said it wouldn't, but since this would put them at their final stretch goal, maybe they'll reconsider (the guys in the stream apparently acted like it would count).

[​IMG]
    (yes, this hurts the brain)

Also:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Game should release near the end of this year. New trailer:
    [youtube]ybqE8FlLrqg[/youtube]

and the older one:

[youtube]Gd43NYBzHuk[/youtube]

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just a heads-up for RPG fans, this game is going to be released next Tuesday (over 4 years after this thread was created -- lol). I'll probably go ahead and buy it, I suppose.

#20 Dr of Dunk, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017