1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Game] Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 19, 2016.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Started playing it last night. No problems so far.

It's a very different game from the other Civs, but still has the same 'one more turn' feel. I'm really enjoying it. Takes a while to get your head around some of the new stuff though- but if you've played Civ before, you should be able to work them out. However, there are heaps of barbarians!

jev5555 likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Starting my first game as the American Empire. Will post again with my experiences after later tomorrow in the AM

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I played a bit a few minutes after it was released last night. It'll be very familiar to you guys that are used to playing the recent ones. One thing I noticed (since I hadn't been following development much) was that builders (used to be "workers" I guess) don't have "auto-build". You have to go tell them what they need to go do (build farms, mines, etc) and I think you use them up after a few turns like you did prophets from what I can tell. Wonders actually take up a tile and they can only be placed on certain tiles... you can't just start building them in whatever city. I just jumped into it without reading anything, so I'll have to figure out how things like districts, civics, the new way to select governments work, how cities grow, etc. I've probably already made blunders I'll regret later, but no biggie... that's part of the fun.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Same here. I couldn't decide who I wanted to play as first and just decided to go with America and figure it out as I go. Of course I selected the largest map possible, so this could take a while.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That was always my excuse when I was switching to thirds, too.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I bought Battlefield for Xbox One. Haven't played yet, though.

7. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

Yeah builders now are consumable, and traders make roads (until you get modern Engineers I think). I really like how they took the district (including wonder placement) ideas from Endless Legends. It makes city building/planning much more dynamic, how does religion/civics stack up compared to V?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I lost. No real strategy or planning for game 1. I never had any strategic resources available for the early and mid game. I dislike the new Workers and trade units. I am so so on two tech trees. But I really like the civics cards and the idea of districts a LOT. I spread Protestantism to the whole continent but it was of minimal benefit for what I was doing. And the Barbarians are everywhere so pick up the +5 Attack Barbarian card.

I will need to play another game in a few weeks with an actual strategy.

Is it worth it? I think so. It's an entertaining take on a classic game.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

new workers dying after 3 builds is really rough (miss the old days of putting them on automate). The fact that districts and wonders take up a tile makes the game so much harder. I am constantly being yelled at to provide more housing. And yea the barbarians are a plenty and they destroy your districts (wtf).

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is a civic card that will extend to 5 turns before death. I agree, I do miss the automate feature.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Last game on the box was very cartooney. I think I liked playing. But it didn't feel like the game I want it to be.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was about to get my expansive territorial butt handed to me in my first game, so am going to start a new one. I focused too much on building up my tech and everything else except my military and it was taking way too many turns to get units. But then, that's how I screw up in every Civ game. lol. The other thing that was eating me up was whether I should build cities closer together or build them further apart. I decided to build them further apart to let them grow bigger, but all that allowed was Norway to come in and pop cities in between and leave me with several cities isolated from the rest of my civ.

This game is a lot deeper in terms of micromanaging when compared to the previous civs. Your selection of civics and districts, etc. have a huge impact that, if negative, or not optimal, can't be "undone" or corrected quickly from the looks of it. For my next game, I need to decide if I want to play America again or not. Trying to expand the borders on those cities were a pain, I don't know if it was because of my selections or "that's just the way it is", but maybe I need to focus even more on culture.

It's still a fun game, but still will take some learning.

FranchiseBlade and JiantJerbil like this.
  13. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

So actually played it last night; figured my civ experience would let me start off as King difficulty w/out much trouble.
    Started off near a mountain range as China which allowed me to exploit the **** out of holy sites and campuses for the bonuses. I heavily agree with Dunk about the micromanaging aspect of the game.

The eureka bonuses for both the tech and civics tree require planning and synergy to heavily exploit it; I got to the Renaissance age in 200 A.D. by chaining boosted techs and using current techs to boost the ones I want.

The civics/government is much hard to manage compared to IV and V, and is highly dependent on your current empire's state of affairs. I made the mistake of using wrong cards plenty of times, but after getting a feel, I think it's pretty straightforward.

The districts and city planning thing I really like about this game. So housing and appeal are new concepts introduced; with housing being the cap for your city population and appeal being a supplement for citizen happiness and adds bonuses to entertainment and other cultural buildings. In previous civs (besides getting the companion mountain in civ V), you wanted plenty of room to exploit. I think in 6, you get trade-offs, a city with open territory can have more tiles to exploit, but lose the focuses and appeal that a "resort/industrial/science city" or a crowded city with a ton of mountain/cliff tiles.

Combat is nearly the same as V (have not gotten up to unit stacking yet), I enjoy the changes to the Great Generals and also the promotions imo are better.

Great people are much more dynamic as they do different things and acquiring them is actually a world competition which I like. I still have no idea what culture does in terms of the gameplan and the only thing that is disappointing so far is the Religion aspect of the game. I really thought they would improved on it from V and make it intertwine with the civics. Right now it just seems like a continuation of V's religion concept.

Overall, I really enjoy the game; the length of the ages is actually quite significant now and I feel like the game doesn't drag, I played on marathon speed in IV and epic speed in V; so in terms of pace, I feel like it's more in tune with IV which I like.

#33 JiantJerbil, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like many here, I wasn't prepared for how to plan and manage cities with the districts and wonders. I got wiped my first time playing. I started again, and could tell I was about to be wiped so I started again for the third time. So far so good. I do hate Norway, and England. They keep declaring war on me. This time I was prepared at least a little bit, so I'm winning for right now. But I would rather be able to focus my building and production towards things other than military units.

I'm really enjoying the game. I like the new system of diplomacy a lot. It's a lot of fun.

15. joesr

joesr Member

I need something like this for ipad

16. Zion21

Zion21 Member

Simply the best game I have played in years. A MUST buy on amazon. [​IMG]

17. JTQ

JTQ Member

Used to play Civ5 all the time, then I found EU4 ....and haven't looked back since then. Any significant depth improvement in Civ6? it is very hard to contend EU4 in terms of depth

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

^^^ If you like EU4 and like space-based 4x games, have you tried Stellaris? It was on sale for $29.99, but that just ended a few hours ago. Made by the makers of EU4. It's been getting pretty good reviews. I knew Civ6 and Elite : Dangerous would be taking up my time, so I'll probably wait to see if it's on sale again during the year-end Steam sales or something.

19. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

I don't have EU4 but I got Crusader Kings 2 in September and have logged atleast 250+ hours on it. I still play it along with CIV 6, and to me; they both complete an ideal of what Grand Strategy should be about. While I feel paradox games give more in depth with relationship and dynasty simulation, diplomacy and actual Earth-like history, Civ gives in terms of open-world Empire forging simulation.

As I play the game more and more; CIV 6 is almost nothing like CIV 5 and that's a compliment. It has a more board game feel due to it's more dynamic and player-involved nature. I feel like it comes close to CIV 4 (which is the best in the series imo) in terms of quality and there's still plenty of additional content the devs will add on. Right now to me, it's Yao Ming...but not quite Hakeem.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I mean... in terms of depth Civ will never surpass EU lol.
    Civ is a strategy game, EU is a geopolitical simulator.

As with all Civ games, if you don't want it now, then wait for all the DLC to drop and buy it then. The base game this iteration is already very, very strong IMO. Future DLC could make it very good.