1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video editing software

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by plcmts17, Sep 29, 2012.

1. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Do you guys have any suggestions for any good video editing software?
    I am trying to upload certain scenes from movies I have on itunes to you tube.
    I also want to do the same with some dvd's I have as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I use Adobe Premeire Pro
    I find it very easy to learn and use
    but
    then again . . I am still learning

Rocket River

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I use Sony Vegas...10 I think.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Premiere Pro costs a lot, especially for casual users. I got Premiere Elements and it works pretty fine. It can be a little sluggish and funky at times when I'm working in the timeline, but I'm used to the interface, having used an older version of Pro in the past. Plus I got it with a teacher discount!

If you want something very consumer friendly, I'm sure there's better software out there. But if you want something that doesn't try to hold your hand at every turn, go with Premiere.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Adobe Premiere Pro is probably considered the best video editing software by most, but it's also a bit more complex than the other softwares and crazy expensive.

Magix Video Deluxe and Sony Vegas are good and much cheaper alternatives.

If you really just want to make a few simple cuts, just go with some freeware like Avidemux or Windows Media Player.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Corel VideoStudio is pretty good.

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

The most user friendly one is Windows Movie Maker. It just gets the job done and is free.

8. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

If you're going to be working with hours worth of footage, Final Cut Pro is the way to go..

I was an avid Premiere Pro user once upon a time, and it's a fantastic program.. But if you're going to be getting into the field of video editing, FCP is most universally used and I recommend getting your feet wet. It works great with every other Adobe program such as After Effects and IMO easier to learn. Adobe Products just have absurd unhuman sublevel of mechanics and operations I'm sure some still haven't discovered yet haha

9. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

all u need iz a vid capture rite?

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

well that and a program to edit as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. TdashDUB

Just to show you how complex and deep Adobe products run.. For an example, this is the holy grail handy book for After effects which is under 800 pages by itself and came with a CD-ROM that had 400+ ADDITIONAL PAGES lol
    [​IMG]

It's absurd how many things can be done and how many ways to do them thru these programs. Final Cut Pro is more or so very to the point.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

FCP is awesome if you have a DSLR camera or don't intend to ever go to broadcast with it. I've used FCP for a long time but the newest versions cut all the pro features from it. Apple is pretty much abandoning the pro marketplace in lieu of the consumers so it may exactly what you need. However if you intend to do more professional work in the future I'd go with Avid Express. We run 4 smokes, 5 Final Cuts, and 4 quantel suites and we may be dropping the FCP's for Avid soon.

Check on Avid Express if it's still around. I think they may be dropping the price of a regular Avid and dumping the express version though.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

if you only want to basic video editing you could use Windows Movie Maker, its very easy to use and its free.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hate, hate, hate Moviemaker!

16. TdashDUB

Thanks for the heads up!!

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Sony Vegas will extract your DVD's scenes. It's the one I use. :eek: There are plenty of peeps out there on YouTubeLand with tutorials for it.

Can't send you email. :confused:

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

man, I was SHOCKED when Apple released their new version of FCP last year. They completely redesigned it from the core up. It handles much differently than it used to and most of the FCP editors were in an uproar. They've added a few features back in with the last release, but its still lacking a LOT of basic pro features. I'm hoping that they continue to add them back in until its back to par. I really loved FCP, and was so happy to be back out of the Quantel/PC editing world when I was given my own copy of FCP and an Imac at work (I haven't been an editor for about 5yrs, but as a Producer I do all of my own rough edits).

as for anyone out there wanting to edit - I suggest this website:

http://www.creativecow.net/

from basic to complicated techniques - it will have you covered. Premier, FCP, Avid, AE, whatever you use they have a message board or tutorials for it. Good Luck.