1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victim of 9/11 Hate Crime Fights for Attacker's Life

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 3, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stumbled across this story from Dallas about a shooting victim now working to save his assailant from Death Row. Its an interesting story about forgiveness, faith and and if you were given a second chance at life what would you do with it.

Its fairly long so I am posting the first few paragraphs but more at the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43241014/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

A victim of 9/11 hate crime now fights for his attacker's life
    Immigrant badly wounded by 'Arab Slayer' mounts long-shot bid to halt execution

Days after the 9/11 terror attacks, 31-year old laborer Mark Stroman went on a shooting spree in the Dallas area. In a drug-fueled mission of revenge, he killed two South Asian immigrants and shot another — Rais Bhuiyan — in the face at close range, blinding him in one eye.

Shortly after his arrest, Stroman boasted of his role as "Arab Slayer."

Now, as Stroman faces imminent execution in Texas, an unlikely champion is fighting to save his life: Bhuiyan, who spent years recovering from the wounds he suffered in the attack.

"I've had many years to grow spiritually," said Bhuiyan, a Muslim who immigrated to the U.S. from Bangladesh and now works as technology professional in Dallas. "I'm trying to do my best not to allow the loss of another human life. I'll knock on every door possible."

Bhuiyan began collecting signatures late last year on a petition asking the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to commute Stroman's death penalty sentence to life in prison without parole through his website "World without Hate." Now he is working systematically through legal and political channels save Stroman's life.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Props to Bhuiyan. I wish a lot of Christians would act as Christian as this Muslim is.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "I'd rather this guy rot in prison for life instead of taking the 'easy way out' on death row" campaign.

4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Hmmm I wonder what Stroman really thinks of all this.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Do you really think that is why Bhuiyan is doing this?

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

How could he be called the Arab slayer if he hasn't killed any Arabs.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The guy on death row sounds like he doesn't deserve a second chance...

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

i really wish stuff like this happened more often.

Reminds me of the Chris Paul story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard of that before but my respect for Chris Paul has gone way up.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think geography was his strong suit.