1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Very interesting Quote by Rudy...Are we going to draft Collier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, Apr 22, 2000.

1. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

If it comes time to part with Bullard, I hope he does retire. I have become way too accustomed to him coming in for the Rockets and hitting the 3 when it is so needed. I would hate to see him somewhere else. If he could take a front office job, that would be great. But a commentating job would be even better. Bull is so unappreciatiated, it seems, because he is a role player who can come off the bench and execute when he is needed, rather than someone who has to make the oh-so-prescious highlight reel on ESPN. The Bull is a champion AND he can play the drums!

------------------
    Pig Miller was in "Space Jam"

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

oakdogg:
    I referred to Olumide, who is Nigerian, as a euro player merely because he's played in Russia and Germany for the past 3-4 years (alongside Dirk Nowitzki for at least two of those years playing for DJK S. Oliver Wurtzburg)

It seems hard to dig up notes on players in other markets though. All I picked up on Olumide was the following from telebasket:

Does anyone know if he's even come to the states for any of the camps?

------------------

3. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he's played in the states before. He played in some Louisville charity game. The Cards and the Cougars tried hard to recruit him before they found out he was professional. Supposedly, if he was a part of the 2000 class, he'd be a top 10 player. But there's no point in speculating whether he's going to enter this draft or not.

------------------

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Popeye:
    Yeah, I was sort of just kidding about Ferry. While he does fit the description of a big man who can hit the outside shot, I think he's like 34 and definitely would not fit in with this young athletic team IMO.

Achebe:
    Thanks for the info on Olumide. Hope the guy has an outside shot, but it doesn't sound like it. Not that that should eliminate him from consideration though.

Dogbelly:
    I like Bullard too. He's the perfect example of a role player. He's paid to hit be a tall guy who can hit the three and he does not disappoint.

------------------

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

This quote seems like one more signal that the Rockets will keep the Wiz. Whenever I saw or heard the Rockets were playing the Wiz or Bull at the 4, I always thought it was a last resort. Now, I see that this may be by design and will probably be continued in the future.

Also, last week, I threw out the idea of the Rockets going after Chris Mihm and it was all but laughed at. Yet this quote coupled with the knowledge that the Rockets like the top 5 guys (which most certainly includes Chris Mihm) in the draft way more than the other guys leads me to bring up this Longhorn's name again. Why would Mihm be such a bad fit? He's certainly more highly regarded than Collier (not saying Collier would be a bad choice though), blocks shots, and has range on his jumper.

------------------

6. popeye

popeye Member

The NBA draft's "top five guys" usually includes any five from a pool of about a dozen or so. Depending on who you ask.

I am not dissing Mihm, or anyone's reference to him, but I can think of abour four guys who could conceivably be placed at his spot without too much argument.

Draft talent, like art and steady girlfriends, depends on the viewer.

In short, although RT and CD continue to refer to the top five or six guys, they may in fact be talking about a completely different configuration of that five or six.

[​IMG]

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

heypartner --

Where are you seeing this 15-footer that Carlos Rogers supposedly has in his repertoire? I've seen you mention it before. Rogers has shown zero ability to hit an outside shot since he's been a Rocket (I've seen every game), I really don't know what you're talking about. His form is awful, and he rarely comes close.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Earlier in the season Carlos showed an ability to hit the outside shot. He even hit and claimed he could make some 3s. But maybe it's just my observation, but that part of his game just seemed to deteriorate. He really did have a nice jumpshot, but for what seemed like the entire second half of the season he never took any. I know he can drain them though cause he did consistently earlier in the year. Just for some reason he just never could get it going from the outside after his injury. Perhaps the thumb affected his ability to make them, because I think it was the thumb on his shooting hand.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe I should say 10-15 ft-er.

You really haven't seen him nail the wide-open J, from mainly opportunistic garbage shots and sometimes pick-n-rolls. I also saw several plays run through him that I can't imagine being successful unless Rudy trusts his mid-range jumper.

Man, that was happening in pre-season. I'm pretty sure you can find a pre-season quote from Rudy as well, that states his surprise in Rogers shooting ability. Do you really think he would have made the team on his slamming and dedication alone? Cause his D is not that great as a tweener.

I'll tell you where to look. Go back in the archives about when we set our 12-man team. I think Rudy talks about him there.

10. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Not sure if this is correct as this was during preseason(Clutch training camp exclusive), I remember Clutch saying how Rogers sometimes would compete with I believe Bullard in 3 point contests. Something about how his previous teams asked him to play outside and he practiced and ended up being pretty good at it. So I know Rogers has that outside shot, maybe he's just not consistent right now that he won't shoot it or injured as The Cat might have suggested.

Oak, something you should know is everyone on this board tends to like an athletic big man..a la Martin or Swift, and look down on reasonable athletic guys who can't massively jump...a la Mihm. That could be the answer to your question.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

11. Achebe

rf34: it was Walt that Carlos was giving a run for his money shooting 3s.

Come to think of it though, Walt wasn't playing well in the beginning of the season.

------------------

12. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Close, but no cigar...instead of drafting him, we traded for him.

So Rudy did give a hint on who he was targeting... [​IMG] Not just one shooting big men, but 2!

------------------
    Now that it seems everyone thinks Rockets blew their picks, you can start reading TDS' 2001 Draft Previews...

Draftsource.net

Thank me later... :)

13. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

rocketsfan34, new insider of clutchcity.net, popeye move over

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

14. Achebe

damnit... you gave him the idea!

------------------

15. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Having plenty of shooters is all good but the ROCKETS biggest need is inside play and higher % shots. I guess it is still live and die by the three.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

16. WiNK

WiNK Member

Clutch,

I think that Rocketsfan34 should win the mock draft madness purely on this!!!!!!

Who else would have even been remotely close to thinking that we would end up w/ Collier after the draft!

[​IMG]

------------------

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Sensai, I will do whatever you command! You are a god. Nice call.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.