1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 22, 2018.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Any experience even if limited, is helpful. That's why House was able to do better, than everyone else apart from Melton. I'm not saying that makes him the most, or the second most talented player on the SL Rockets.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

The problem with Adel is he lacks the killer mentality...he clearly can play but rarely asks for the ball or engages into pushing the ball

PhilCollins likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yet, again it seems to me, his experience (and others like him) changes on-court dynamics for all the competitors. Guys playing for an int'l contract may decide to gun to have scoring stats to 'impress' some team somewhere to 'earn' himself a contract. And so on, so many varied factors that affect all 10-guys on the court leave me yes, entertained as it is still basketball, yes there are still guys I want to see (Rox almost exclusively), yet unconvinced that I have the 'eye' to mete out praise or pans effectively, correctly.

seeingred and saleem like this.
  5. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I guess I’m in the minority as I don’t feel like House had a good summer..... I feel like every good thing he did came with a but......

He scored well but, he was the #1 option and clearly understood how SL works....

He had some nice highlights but he made a bunch of dumb plays that he shouldn’t have given his experience.

He played well but he also played very selfishly....

He made some good shots but he took a lot of head scratching shots....

He didn’t get targeted on defense but he is atrocious on that end...

All in all I feel like he’s a tweener in the worst way.... He’ll be too good for the Gleague but never good enough to stick in the nba.... he’ll be the guy that home town people will tell stories about how he coulda been if a team had given him a chance.... this tends to happen to low BBIQ players

6. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

His defensive IQ is lacking too...... I don’t think he quite grasped the switching defense..... I’ve never played in a switching defense so I couldn’t tell you if it’s a hard concept to learn quickly....

D-rock likes this.
  7. mockster

mockster Member

Lol, how hard cAn it truly be you just switch to the other player

8. saleem

Maybe,he will get better at it with more experience in the G-League, if he gets a chance there. Learning when to take over, and to keep your teammates engaged, isn't easy. He was able to step up in Donovan's absence, which is a good sign.

Maybe he can develop to become a good player off the bench in the future. Working with pros and good coaches eg Roy Rogers, should be helpful for him.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we just need to switch the d (docile) for m (murderous).... end up with Amel and problem solved :D

Amel and saleem like this.
  10. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I think you’re right but I’m sure there are triggers such as “slip”,”flares” and “dives” which change your assignment on the fly tho.....

But I’m with you tho.... I just didn’t want to oversimplify something I’ve never done or used....

mockster likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Much appreciated Doc, and thanks to you and the masses for putting up with me.

I'm not only passionate about basketball...I'm passionate about Rockets basketball.

Kawhi can hold out by having ticky tac surgeries because all the players are playing with some form of aliment. Kawhi has proven himself. Capela would probably need to continue auditioning for a gig next year if he signs the QO for Houston.

My best guess is Houston has Capela playing under the QO. I set my high water mark on Capela at $18 mil if I had to match another team. Well he didn't get the offer he wanted and all the leagues money is pretty much dried up.

So if he wants to try URF next summer and join the many free agents next summer....more power to him. I expect Qi and Hartenstein to be ready by next summer. I would rather the Rockets not any up so much now.

Last year Morey added contracts from other teams to complete the CP3 deal. Morey could pull a Nogieira deal with a Nene/Nanu/and possibly Melton or Adel.
    Sorry Corman, I like Nene as well....butt Wi and Hartenstein look ready to contribute. Goes with Summer league thread.

12. saleem

I like Bebe, but I wouldn't offer Melton or Adel for him. Nanu plus a future 2nd rounder, yes.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sign him and trade for Luol Deng. It would be good to see the first pair of father and son on the same team in NBA history.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I’m not talking about giving Bebe an $8 mil contract. Like Capela the money for centers are scarce.
    Some free agent centers still available:
    Len
    D West
    Willie Reed
    Jeff Withey
    Bogut
    Jahlil Okafor
    Mont Harrell
    Greg Monroe
    Alan Williams

Rockets have a couple contracts to play with to make room on the roster for a couple players...one being Melo.

If Plan A is adding Melo with the remaining MLE

Then, Plan B sign Capela to contract extension
    Plan C sign Capela to QO if no contract extension
    Plan D move Capela if Capela is going to be a problem or let him sit until he signs (how long can he wait? Dec?)

Then, Plan E move a contract or 2 to hopefully make room for Melton/Adel/Hartenstein/........Nogueira (fall back guy for Capela)?

Rockets have some smaller contracts to deal with: MCW at Non-Guaranteed $1.8M, Nene at $3.7M, Nanu at $1.5M

Atlanta is currently around $94M (team salary).
    Antonius Cleveland (undrafted)....Non-Guaranteed $1.4M (7 mins/game in 17/18)
    Jaylen Morris (undrafted)..............Non-Guaranteed $1.4M (16 mins/game in 17/18)
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd5xwmgr
    Deal clears about $6M-$7M...I would rather use Nanu, but his contract doesn’t register in the ESPN trade machine

Hopefully Houston won’t need to deal Melton or Adel. That would be a shame.

Sac is currently at $82M
    Nets at $109M.....Non-Guaranteed contract of Spencer Dinwiddle $1.7M
    Cavs at $112M....Non-Guaranteed contract of Okafor White (undrafted SF/PF 13 mins in 17/18, 36% (3P%)).
    Pacers at $107M..Non-Guaranteed contract of Alex Poythress $1.5M (undrafted 4 mins in 17/18 36% (3P%)).
    Clips at $117M.....Non-Guaranteed contract of CJ Wilson $1.4M (undrafted SF/SG).
    Bucks at $114M..Non-Guaranteed contract of Tyler Zeller $1.9M....Non-Guaranteed cont of Brandon Jennings $2.2M.
    Magic at $110M...Non-Guaranteed contract of Rodney Purvis $1.4M.
    Suns at $101M....Non-Guaranteed contract of Shaquille Harrison (undrafted PG/SG $1.4M)
    Jazz at $119M......Non-Guaranteed contract of Royce O’Neal (undrafted SF/SG $1.4M...36% (3P%))....looked good
    against us (Rockets).

Team like Washington and OKC will look to deal with these teams to unload payroll.

#1094 ApacheWarrior, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    saleem likes this.
  15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some people on here are so trigger happy when it come to trades. Lol

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Players he is counting on to be part of the team.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

or a trade package.

saleem and jch1911 like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Looks like the Rockets had a pretty good draft this season. Got a few good players this time out.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If I were the Fakers, I would play Mykhailiuk and Hart more.

20. Progs

Progs Member

Melton & Adel were my favorite rookies. I believe in Gary Clark. Not that impress by Edwards. Hopefully, he surprises in preseason.

saleem likes this.