1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 22, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Based off what I've seen

saleem likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve looked on several sites, but I believe Gary Clark is set for one 2-way contract.

RealGM.com (Houston Rockets roster 18/19) has RJ Hunter as the only current 2-way player set for 18/19 season.
    Hispanosnba.com (Houston Rockets roster 18/19) has Gary Clark as the only current 2-way player for 18/19 season.

I believe they can be rescinded or changed.....they are not set in stone at the moment.

From what I gather the Rockets really like Gary Clark. Apparently he played all season with an injured foot or ankle.
    Rockets held him out from playing in summer league and are asking him just to get healthy.

https://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/houston-rockets (2-way players are indicated in an aqua or teal color)

I personally like how hispanos nba. com reports off of media sources. So the Gary Clark indication of being
    a 2-way player may have been reported as such some where along the line. $ is not posted, as it is not known how many days will be spent in the G-league and how many games will be with the big league team.

#883 ApacheWarrior, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm a bit leery of melton being played so many minutes, actually scared morey could be intentionally showcasing him to use in a ryno contract dump this summer. we've seen him do this so many times before, both during summer league and reg season

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

When has this happened before? Besides Donte Green.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...s-Gary-Clark-a-shot-with-Rockets-13053174.php :

On Thursday, Houston signed Clark to a contract with an Exhibit 10 attachment, giving the team the right to convert his deal into a two-way contract.

And from https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9 :

Can players on NBA rosters be converted to a two-way contract?

Yes. If a standard NBA contract includes an attachment called Exhibit 10, the team has the right to convert the contract to a two-way contract. To be eligible for an Exhibit 10 attachment, a contract must be for one season at the minimum salary with no bonuses of any kind. A team can only add the Exhibit 10 attachment if they have their own G League affiliate. This conversion must be done prior to the start of the NBA’s regular season.

This is certainly an added wrinkle. Players who sign one year minimum deals in the offseason and don’t perform well in camp, or get injured, may be converted to a two-way contract.

And from David Weiner/BimaThug :

saleem, mikol13, hajkov and 2 others like this.
  7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We have a 2-3 year window to win a championship...you gotta trade who you have to trade besides CP3 and Harden.

xtruroyaltyx and D-rock like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

corey brewer :X

and in previous seasons toney douglas & jeremy lamb

D-rock, seeingred and buffalobills!!! like this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah we can't know yet how melton will actually fare against real nba players, but it does suck we might have to part w/ a good prospect just to dump ryno's toxic contract

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you Dr of Dunk.

I noticed the Tweet was dated July 5th (we are now July 12th and Summer league play started July 6th)

I hope that means Edwards contract can be converted (back) to 2-way or less. I don’t know what the Rockets are
    seeing. I see better options.....but I know the team can be stubborn with certain decisions made. Buying a pick
    may fall in that realm or scope.

I personally like Gary Clark and have no issue with him being a 2-way player for the Rockets. The question with
    any 2-way is.......could you use them more than the 45 days allowed at the big league level. Both Melton and
    Clark might be too good for the 2-way as they might be serviceable for more than the 45 days if injuries occur.

I glad to see MCW as non guaranteed. Hopefully he pans out per Morey vision as a ball handling wing.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You may be on to something. I’ve heard you can’t trade the rookies that sign a contract for 60 days. Maybe that’s
    why Melton hasn’t signed yet. How the Exhibit 10 attachment, that @Dr of Dunk mentions, alters that in any way?

I would hate to lose Melton, but $20 mil of Ryno buys quite a lot of players back in return.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i'm hoping he just hasn't signed yet b/c we intend to use part of our MLE and still need to finish filling out the roster first (melo?). but it could also be the scenario you mentioned. i'm also hoping they don't just salary dump ryno into a team's capspace to reduce lux tax without any usable player coming back in return.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt. I believe Melo is still in play. Signing of James Ennis was a sort of deadline on both James Ennis at the same
    time Melo. Not that money can’t be freed up using Nanu/Nene for nothing as salary dump prior to signing Melo. Don’t tell Melo that.

I started scouring thru some rosters for possible disgruntled players to go after with Ryno last night. Josh Richardson
    is not disgruntled but could he be had using EGo and Melton type players...
    maybe....make some room for Melo in some form or fashion with Miami? Lance Thomas?

Fell asleep after looking at NY and Miami.

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sounds to me like Maori is looking for ways to have a sliver of extra cap space available in case he needs it to make something happen. It would suck to come up a few hundred thou short on space and not be able to easily materialize it.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trying to save the Financially Troubled Tillman some Cash Considerations

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Good thinking. If we’re fortunate enough to deal away Anderson and clear an extra roster spot, I’d try to see how to squeeze both Duval and Deng on to the roster.

But If you can only keep 1 of these young talents, I’d take Deng. Players his size shouldn’t be able to move as fluidly as he does.

BigShasta, D-rock and saleem like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

If we can dump Anderson without assets apart from Melton it would be worth it.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well the going rate has always been stated as 2 first round picks, so i assume melton would then count as one of those and we'd have to add another

19. saleem

I think Melton should be held on and Clark too.

20. saleem

RJ has got a good jumper, but he has no upside. I would have no hesitation in dropping him for Duval. He can pass and defend, and is athletic/strong. He may be able to develop a jumper in the G-League. I liked Markel last year, but he is not playing well anymore. Deng needs to get a lot better on defense, but he can score and pass. His outside shot needs some work, but it's better than I thought. He can finish at the rim, most of our SF's can't do that. Duval and Deng should be on 2 way contracts.

Melton is looking better day by day, which is very encouraging. I hope Gary Clark will get healthy soon, and play well for our Rockets. Edwards showed progress in Game 3, I liked that. Hopefully, he will get better soon too. Hartenstein looks almost ready for the NBA as a backup 5 to me. Joe is starting to get comfortable too. Another year in the G-League should help him out a lot. Fitness/quickness. stamina and strength is what is needed from him.

#900 saleem, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018