1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vassilis Spanoulis: Thibodeau Was The Real Head Coach Of The Rockets, Not Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where is it supported anywhere that Petrovic or Galis is the "best European player ever" according to European experts? Point me to what you consider an expert source, because I can't find one in Google.

They are fans of European basketball, like yourself. Why should I consider their opinion any less credible than yours? If you don't want us to take your word for it, just as we shouldn't take the word of some random posters on a Euro basketball forum without question, then refer us to the experts.

My guess is that you're just passing off your own personal opinion as the "universal" view of European experts. Prove me wrong, and I'll admit I was wrong.

#82 durvasa, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Sorry, but the vast majority of fans on a message board have no basketball knowledge in general.

You want official sources?

There are several official FIBA articles detailing just the surface of some of Galis' career and accomplishments.

I will give you some.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_Rrcja7ZFIJoKfuh7kQ,-F3.coid_TAEWX2DlJdkjxfsVfUULa3.articleMode_on.html

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_Rrcja7ZFIJoKfuh7kQ,-F3.coid_OetsMywJJtcKppVVZ6xGT3.articleMode_on.html

http://www.halloffame.fiba.com/pages/eng/hof/indu/play/2007/p/lid_17904_newsid/19959/bio.html

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/event-guide/p/nid/41921/legend-bio.html

Oh and BTW, he dropped 50 points on Michael Jordan (the opposing SG that was guarding him) in North Carolina.

http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/newdemocracy.htm

And that UNC team included the following NBA players:

Michael Jordan
    Kenny Smith
    Joe Wolf
    Sam Perkins
    Brad Daugherty
    Dave Popson

Not to mention that he averaged 28 points a game his senior year of college and Red Auerbach said he beat out Tiny Archibald in the Celtics training camp, before he got hurt and they cut him due to injury. So yeah, he was pretty good, just slightly.....

And yeah, he pretty much owned USSR and prime Sabonis in the late 1980s. You know, the same USSR team that beat the USA in 1988...........yeah.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8...9le2.season_1989.roundID_2262.teamID_291.html

Yeah, he beat the 1988 Olympic gold medalist team (that beat the USA in 1988) basically by himself. See that? Galis practically by himself beat USSR, which in turn had beaten Team USA.

And if you still don't believe this and are still clinging to this idea that somehow Galis was not the best player of Europe of that generation (and not Sabonis), then you can see the video evidence for yourself.

So, the video evidence itself:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/94X7oyzlfeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is this apocraphyl tale the same as the time when, as Rockets Dynasty, you told us that Bob Sura routinely destroyed Jordan behind closed doors - which was actually true, except for by "Bob Sura" you meant "Cousin Spiros" and by "destroyed Jordan" you mean "seduced many comely sheep with gifts of feed and straw?

I remember that, it was awesome.

5. SamFisher

That's becuase you were watching it huddled around a black and white TV with rabbit ears at your grandfather's dirt farm in the Balkans.

In real life we saw, and the result was much different.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think in the Balkans they use goat ears.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol are people really trying to say Sabonis had a better NBA career than Dirk?

Dirk had the better career and it's not even close.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

You mean my 55 LCD screen, out of my Florida condo next to the beach

you sir, are just pathetic and always was :rolleyes:

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

But consistently funny and eloquent...

Good job, Sam.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

So are Amel and OHMSS both the same douche as the poster with many names? They pretty much HAVE to be, since nobody else has started a V-Span thread on this board in the last two years. :confused:

Regardless, one little coincidence on this issue is that in Europe, GOAT doesn't mean Greatest Of All Time, it simply means "goat."

1 person likes this.
  11. durvasa

That's great. What you're offering there is a good argument for why one could consider Galis as the greatest European basketball player of his generation. But in none of those links do I see any expert claiming that Galis was the greatest European basketball player of his generation, or of all time. First link says "greatest scorer" -- and it is the opinion of one Greek analyst who would likely (and understandably) be biased.

How about judging it by the European player of the year awards? Sabonis won 8 in total (6 Euroscars, and 2 Mr. Europas). Petrovic won 6 (4 Euroscar, 2 Mr. Europa), and Galis won 2 (1 Euroscar, 1 Mr. Europa). Nowitzki comes in second to Sabonis in total European player of the year awards with 7 (5 Euroscar, 1 Mr. Europa, and 1 FIBA), and by the time he retires I'm guessing he'll have the most combined Euroscar+Europas by a good margin.

12. SamFisher

Won't be so pathetic after I send scourge of the Balkans, Liam Neeson to your Florida house for a little conversation. He has a particular set of skills that make him a nightmare for men like you and your swarthy icy hot stunta buddies. He will probably hide the remote.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Why the calling out?

I don't know OHMSS nor I post under diff names, Clutch knows that.

If this doesn't interest you, just skip the thread, put people on the ignore list or just turn off your computer. Plain and simple...

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I guess we can agree on Liam Neeson at least..

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

i lol'ed at that too!! :grin:

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sure if people are aware, that I used to think VSpan could have become a decent PG.

Ah, those were the days, watching Rafer brick shot after shot, and pining for JVG to give the hairy Greek guard a shot.

Unfortunatly, the guy wussed out, and ran home to momma, and has not progressed any at all, he still only goes right, he still turns it over too much and he still jumps in the air to pass the ball.

You know why? Because he is a little better athlete than those he plays against and because of that, his bad habits are not weeded out, and his game has not grown.

VSpan would stink in the NBA today, he took his ball and went home, he decided to take the easy way out, and join the Jr. High circuit overseas.....

Meanwhile other good players from the European leagues come over, and have to adapt and get better to play in the NBA, those guys get major respect.

The ones that p***y foot their way home to play in the lessor leagues? Well, I guess those people are like the failed American soccer players who come home to the MLS because they can't cut it......

Take the easy way boys.....why play with the best, when you can beat up on the weaker players overseas.

VSpan, the best thing you EVER did for the Rockets was get us a player named Scola....if it weren't for that, you would have no redeeming qualities to fall back on.....

You quit......so I quit you.

DD

17. durvasa

"You can't just quit me!"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

lol how about that Sabonis and Drazen both said Galis was the best European player ever? How about the Belov (who was voted by FIBA as the best European player of all time in 1991) said that Galis was better than him?

How about that Bob McAdoo said that Galis was better than magic or Bird.

How about that Drazen's brother (a good player of his time and now a coach - Eurocup coach of year this season) said that Galis was better than his brother.

I think it is obvious that you know nothing about basketball other than NBA games.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dude you and Bob Mcadoo need a serious drug test. There hasn't been a Euro born BETTER than Magic & Bird. Please save this BS.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The he said, she said stuff is really awful, illogical evidence of who the best player really was, which is to be expected from you.

Kevin Garnett once said much of the same about Eddie Griffin.

Thousands swore that Joe Hammond was better than Julius Erving.

At the end of the day, what matters is how well you play in the NBA, the best league in the world, by far. In this case, Gally and Spanoodle have the largest blemish that you can possibly have when talking about greatness. They forfeited greatness by not competing with the best, much like Joe Hammond did one he decided to sell crack-rocks and kill ankles at the Rucker...

No dough, no show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.