1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vassilis Spanoulis: Thibodeau Was The Real Head Coach Of The Rockets, Not Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Remember when Eddie Jordan was the real head coach of those Nets teams that made the finals in back-to-back seasons, and Byron Scott was nothing?

The truth is good head coaches surround themselves with good assistants.

2. TheGoldenGreek

That's my boy!

3. Houkom

Houkom Member

Pau and Nowitzki don't even come close to the player Sabonis was. He stays best euro in my book, no question.

Those 2 just had more time in the NBA in their primes. You are right, youtube helps refresh memories.

Actually match-ups between him and Hakeem were fun to watch.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

No knocking his assistants, he hired great ones.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D-rose - scorer
    korver - pure shooter
    noah - defense
    bogans - defense
    deng/boozer - decent defense/decent offense

yeah, look at all those multi dimensional players Thibs rocks out!

you have been awarded no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

6. Prince

Prince Member

really Span said that? he only understands the drawing board language.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The fact that he didn't even mention Sabonis hurts his credibility. Drazen Petrovic? Honestly? If you are a huge Petrovic fan, then it's more likely that you're just an NBA hater. Like Spanoulis.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Longevity of career, and at it's peak, plays a role. As does playing against the best competition. Can't fault Petrovic for dying. And can't fault Sabonis for slowing with age. But both happened. Meanwhile, Dirk will be 33 this summer and is still dominant, in the NBA.

I'd agree that a young Sabonis was awesome. But then, it's not like worldwide basketball then was as good as it is today. He was playing against inferior competition when he was younger. He came over to the NBA, was already aging, with some health issues, and as an older player being forced to adjust to a new type of game, and still did pretty damn good, so one can infer Sabonis would have been awesome in the NBA in his youth, but it didn't happen.

Dirk's definitively had a longer period of awesomeness, in the world's best, most talented professional league, than any other non North American (Nash has an argument) foreign player in history, imo, outside of Hakeem, who is clearly #1. I'm not sure you can say the same about Gasol (obviously behind Dirk at a minimum), though it's pretty close there. If one wanted to argue, at their peak, in their primes, completely adjusted to the NBA game, assuming they stayed healthy, which player would you want at their best for a 3-5 year period, then sure, maybe that puts Sabonis at the top... and Petrovic up there, too. (again, kind of discount Hakeem - he's clearly number 1, but is for some reason often not associated as foreign... V-Span clearly forgot about him and putting Dirk or Gasol over Hakeem would be moronic).

Still, V-Span's opinion is about as important as ours on this board. Still shaking my head at KG as a top 5 player today.

#28 JayZ750, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Garnett is one of the best? WRONG! It's Lebron and Dwade

He said you can't go wrong with Gasol or Dirk? WRONG!!
    Gasol suck compare to Dirk. Not even close! Hell, Gasol can't even match up with his brother in Memphis right now.

His opinion about players ability are from yesterday year!! Need to get up to the present.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I KNEW IT.

I knew that Van Gundy was good for nothing.

I ****ing knew it!

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Man now all the VGOFs are coming out acting all butthurt.

Accept it for what it is.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

most people are accepting it for what it is....a moron making moronic statements. Unfortunately, some people can't realize that.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He didn't forget about him, he was talking about Europeans. Hakeem was from Africa, not Europe.

As to V-SPAN's possible knock on Van Gundy, I am sure he is still sad that JVG made him run home to mommy like a little girl.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was Vass a Morey asset or a Dawson asset?

15. Mav-Hater

We need a new Poll!!

If you think Jeff Van Gundy posts on Clutch Fans, do you think he posts under the name of:

A: DonkeyMagic

B: SamFisher

C: All of the above

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

D: Carl Herrera

17. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

I agree that Sabonis was a beast, but the video you posted isn't from "young Sabonis."

18. Mav-Hater

Good Call. I knew I was forgetting one. You could add him and still go with all of the above as a safe bet

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I watched plenty of Sabonis when he was in the NBA, he is not comparable to Dirk

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

CD acquired him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.