1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Varejao Declines Player Option

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rock3t Man, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Link

Grand Master Flop looking for more money!

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What a sideshow.

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Not very surprised, it's a weak free agency class, he's big and not completely incompetent, he will get more than 6.2 mil on the open market. Memphis anyone?

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

nice one bob

5. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

no one's gonna give him that kind of money. is he living in a different world than the rest of us? everyone else is exercising their player's option because they know they'd get lesser money than what theyre getting now.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He tried holding out for more money from Cleveland 2 years ago. Nobody wanted to pay him then. What makes him think people want his act now with everyone trying to save money?

7. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I don't know why I have such an unexplained hatred for someone I don't even know like Varejao...

Oh well a stupid move that will end up costing him some money and leave a contender..

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Varejao = Chuck Hayes with an ego

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally agree, especially when teams are worried about their income next year; I don't predict a bunch of huge contracts.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey! That's a cheap shot. Chuck doesn't deserve it! ;)

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Cavs will pay him 7million.

12. baller4life315

Haha...not necessarily. I mean, Varejao is a valuable player. Lucky for us that Chuck is a humble guy that knows his role meanwhile Varejao thinks playing garbageman next to LeBron should get him megabucks. If I were Danny Ferry and I was doing these negotiations, I don't think i'd be able to keep a straight face. (Then again, if I were Danny Ferry I would have pulled the trigger on the Shaq or Jamison deals on the table last February and earned myself a championship) ;)

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If Memphis won't allow Wallace to give David Lee an offer, they aren't extending one to Varejo.

The MLE is 5.6M, and the few teams with cap space (Detroit) seem to already have their targets lined up. I doubt Charlotte offers him anything.

He's an athletic 6-11 big, but he only gives you 9 and 7, and his one on one defense is below average at best. The refs are slowly dialing back on giving floppers the call and Varejo looked outmatched against Orlando.

It's possible this ends like last time, with Varejo holding out beyond the summer expecting a deal that doesn't exist.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

didnt he hold out a couple of seasons ago and didnt get much?

i dont get this guy, he is somewhat talented but he is not that good.

i doubt anyone on the market offers him the MLE and of course stupid Danny Ferry is going to bid against himself and give Varejao a lot more money than he is worth in an effort to keep lebron happy though if anything its cripping the team.

lebron leaves next season I say.

that team even with shaq is total crap outside of lebron...maybe shaq helps them out now but imagine if lebron had a player like a gasol or a bosh another 20/10 guy that can help carry the team when he is on the bench.

Ferry shouldnt offer more than the MLE to varejao no one else will (and if they do let them its a stupid move)

varejao will learn real hard that he is absolutely garbage without lebron

15. droxford

droxford Member

He needs to Google "Latrell Sprewell"

16. Steve_Francis_rules

Chuck Hayes is a hell of a lot better than Varejao. Chuck may be limited in what he can do, but he is elite at what he does well. What can Varejao do better than anybody else besides flop?

17. blink

blink Contributing Member

lol what more does he want? i say the cavs sign gortat for mle and give the middle finger to flopahoe

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He was a restricted free agent then and Cleveland new they could match anyones offer and said they would which made everyone stay away from him and and when charlotte finally did make an offer Cleveland did exactly what they said they would do and match the offer. So now he is in the last year of that contract with an option to exit. He is trying to cash in now. Unlike Latrell and Bonzi who both turned down long term deals for dreams of more, he is turning down a 1 year option for a chance at a longer term deal.

He probably feels with Shaq and Ilgauskas he won't get more playing time and his ceiling is as high as it is going to be so rather that wait another year to sign a contract for less, why not cash in at his peak. I doubt he expects to get anything more than MLE money. But if he gets close to that for 4 or 5 years he will have more security than he would if he plays out his contract and only gets a year older and possibly not as good or worse an injury. If I was his agent I would advise the same thing.

At a minimum he gets a 3 year 15 mil deal which is much better than what he has now and with a little luck some team may offer him the full mle for 5years. It is a risk but he will definitely signed by someone. he does bring a toughness at the center spot albeit in a backup role and there are teams that could use that.

19. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Studies have shown that everyone hates people with hair like that.

See also, Carrot Top and that one guy from American Idol (Justin Gu????)

20. baller4life315

He's the type of player that can drive you crazy with his relentless motor and hustle plays if you don't throw a body on him. He's become a master of the Ben Wallace rebound-tipout. Trust me, as a Hawks fan I had to watch this dude single-handedly save countless possessions and squander numerous otherwise stellar defensive efforts from the Hawks.

He's valuable but that value definitely has it's limits. Those limits are nothing close to what Varejao thinks he's actually worth.