1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy: Barry Almost Ready (Chron)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by richirich, Feb 4, 2006.

1. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3635658.html

Focusing on part of the Chron article on the Sonics game.

Barry almost ready
    Veteran Rockets guard Jon Barry was inactive for Friday's game against Seattle, but he will make the trip to the East Coast that begins with Sunday's game in New York. Barry has been out for 29 of the past 33 games with a right calf strain.

Coach Jeff Van Gundy indicated before Friday's game that when Barry is healthy enough to play, the problem will be trying to determine which player will be inactive.

Those who might be candidates are forwards Lonny Baxter, Chuck Hayes and Stromile Swift. Barry went through the shootaround Friday morning without problems, but Van Gundy decided to keep Barry inactive.

"Obviously, when we activate him you have to take somebody out of the mix, one of those big guys," Van Gundy said. "I'm not ready to quite do that yet.

"We're going to play the guys who give us the best chance to win. He's been hurt for a while and where we are, I wouldn't really know which big guy to sit down."

Barry has played in only 17 of the Rockets' 46 games, averaging 4.8 points.
    Unquote

My own reaction is: Barry can play some point and he is tall enough to spell Tmac and he can be our best 3P option, so sit either Mooch or Rybo. Mooch has been playing fairly well and I can understand that. But Gundy's fascination with Rybo's defense is bordering on obsessive/compulsive disorder. Myabe Gundy can be in the next Anger Management movie and Sandler can walk into the Obsess/Compulse meeting by mistake:

"Hi my name is Jeff and I obsess about journeymen NBA players who can play good defense but have no other skills. I do this to the point of holding out our team's best shooters which of course, keeps us from scoring points." :rolleyes:

2. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Why would you have to choose between those when you have Ryan Bowen and Moochie getting minutes???? :rolleyes:

But if you must choose then Baxter it is.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i tihnk JVG will be using him as a 3. since some one has to become inactive in order to activate barry it makes sence for that player to be a PF since we don't need 4 of them.

my bet is also on baxter. i wouldn't be surprised to see a trade at the deadline that will clear up the 4 spot and give us some help in the backcourt.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I agree you don't really need 4 4's, but you also don't need RYBO or Moochie. If it's really such a headache because you're playing all 4 of them, put somebody on the DL that you're not playing.

5. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

we dont need 2 point guard at least? thats why moochy is there. so much hate against him already, don't u think?

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Hope the Rox would make a trade before the All star break...

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Rafer plays the bulk of the minutes, Head can spell him when he needs to sit. Moochie hardly plays now with all the guards injured.

8. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, Mooch and Rybo have been playing well the last couple of games. It has to be Baxter who's going to sit.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They've giving Moochie minutes so they can trade him.

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

this is obviously barry good..