1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Value of Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How much value do you place on Draft Picks in the next 5 years.
    Or let's say in the HARDEN Era?

Do we expect any draft picks below 15? 20?
    Rockets IMO don't draft well to begin with.

If Draft Picks are what is holding up the deal . . . . .I cannot help but wonder why?
    We tend to do better in the second round than in the first

Rocket River

deshen likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don't value them that much with Harden on the roster and the goal being a chip. We're not tanking or rebuilding. My value for them will get even lower if we lock up CP3 long term. I'm not saying that we should just give them away like free candy, but if they're given up for vets that can help us right away then I have no problem with that.

Morey has had some nice finds in the late 1st/early 2nd round tho with Aaron Brooks, Parsons, Capela, and Trez.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Draft picks are often hit or miss.

The perception that we don't draft well is a bit skewed. Our earliest draft pick has been in the late lottery where it is extremely difficult to find superstar talent (some exceptions of course i.e. Kawhi Leonard and Giannis Antote(whatever).

We have drafted a few good players that contributed within their time with us (D-Mo, Capela, and Dekker being on the short list) but the problem is we haven't been able to land that STAR talent in the first round.

I don't believe draft picks are the hold up because generally Morey does a great job of protecting our picks even when we do send them out and don't see them being the most valuable due to draft position.

In other words the hold up has to be contracts and players connected to those contracts. Could be Anderson, could be Myers Leonard, at this point who knows the players and teams involved in this "newly resurrected" deal in negotiation.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It's always risky to trade away draft picks more than a year away. We can't trade away next years pick right now so it would be two years from now. What if Paul doesn't end up sticking around? We'd still have Harden so you would assume we'd still make the playoffs. But if he has an injury riddled season that year we won't win enough games and losing that pick would be brutal. It's a worst case scenario but one that would lead to a complete waste of a year.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Not all drafts are the same and not all draft picks are the same.

The Rockets are in a situation where they have plotted a very clear course, they are going to go all in over the next 2-4 years in an attempt to maximize Harden and the players they have surrounded him with.

With that in mind, the Rockets draft picks over the next 3-4 years mean nothing other than maximizing them as trade chips.

Most likely the Rockets will be picking at the bottom of the first round anyway and they can possibly buy second round picks with similar value.

Deuce likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

That is why you put protections on your picks.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. Show me one GM who consistently snags starters with picks between 14-30.

It's much easier to do when you're the Sixers and always drafting between 1-5.

8. caneks

caneks Rookie

The developed stars from own draft picks are mandatory to be champion because all the championship teams did it, so the value of the draft picks depends on what your team needs.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not much when it Maury drafting. Mediocre drafter so shouldn't be a hold up

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

I like draft picks. Good to have them at your disposal. I'd hate it(or be uncomfortable) if they were without 2018/2020 draft picks. (Along with the 2017 you traded).

I get it - they're in "win now" mode and draft picks are anything but "win now" but still...

Brooklyn went "all in" and that backfired horrendously.
    Cavs have gone "all in" with LeBron. They did get a championship but if he leaves next year? No draft picks in 2016, 2017, & owe a 2019 first to Atlanta.
    Dallas spent years trying to "win now" for Dirk; they too did get a championship but didn't have draft picks 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2016
    (Hah, I'm sure some of you are saying "Who the **** cares about 2018, 2020, 2022 picks if we win a 'ship like the Mavs & Cavs?! Championship! That's all that matters! I guess...?)
    How many picks did GM Doc trade away so the Clippers could "win now"?
    Spurs, despite all their winning the last 20 years, have for the most part kept their picks, usually 25/&/lower.
    I'm sure there's more examples both ways for keeping them/ditching them but...I say keep your draft picks if possible.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey values draft picks. They are liquid for trades and are cost controlled assets if cashed in. Morey won't move picks unless it is for good value.

12. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I disagree about not doing well in the draft. It's hard to draft a great prospect when you never have any great picks

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Brooklyn went all in with a bad hand. It was a dumb move. They had a bad GM.
    Cavs got a championship which is worth it but they don't have or had a good GM. If Lebron didn't decide to come home Griffin wouldn't be lauded.
    Mavs rebuild planning didn't pan out. Actually, not sure what their plan was if it failed. They gave CP the max because of Mark Cuban playing GM.
    GM Doc Rivers is a terrible GM.

Those all have the same things in common. Bad GMs and bad planning.

A good GM like Morey (some would argue he's a horrible GM) could get creative with trades and buy picks /stash overseas players away for the rebuild to come after going all in for 5 years.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Draft picks outside of the lottery are not that valuable. In the NFL....First and Second round picks are like gold. In the NBA, the bust level is so high, 1st round picks, outside of the lottery, are just trade pieces.