1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vaccines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lurch, Aug 9, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Unlikely. The majority of high graduates have not taken Chemistry.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm trying to think if it was required or not in my high school. I took Bio, Chem, & Physics (I know physics wasn't required). I assume so, but I wouldn't promise it.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is one of those things where the epistemology is important. We might have a scientist or two here, we might have a person or two actually educated on the research on vaccines. But, for the most part, the population of this thread has no basis to know for themselves the merits of the vaccination and anti-vaxx arguments. We know what we know by trusting the conclusions of the authorities we trust. Our chosen media outlet (we trust them) tells us the wide consensus of the scientific community (we trust them) is that vaccinations do not cause autism, and the only reason this anti-vaxx thing became a debate is because insular communities (not ours, so we don't trust them) tell each other to not trust the government (but we trust the government) and cite findings by disgraced scientists (he did it for money so he can't be trusted). This is not an anti-vaxxer argument. We could know the merits of the arguments if we put in the work to read and understand the studies (and maybe conduct a few ourselves). But that's not a realistic investment of your time, especially when there are a million other things you are also accepting on authority. Instead, you have to decide whom do you trust and why. Do you trust the CDC? Do you trust the mainstream media? Your friends? The school moms? Much of the anti-vaxx appeal (and that of all conspiracy theories) is that they exploit people's mistrust. Mistrust of federal power, mistrust over racial persecution (I see one strain of the anti-vaxx argument is that it afflicts african-american boys more than whites), mistrust of the dysfunctional healthcare industry, mistrust of academia, etc. If one side or the other is being an idiot, it's because they're trusting the wrong people. So when @Lurch says people are not confronting the implications of whatever neurotoxins, he's right -- people don't think about it because they think they know the CDC thought about and told them the answer. For whatever reason, that's not enough for an anti-vaxxer because they think the CDC is incompetent (and irrationally confident) or they think it's lying.

If it wasn't clear, I wasn't being serious about the price of freedom -- just poking Bruce in the eye.

4. Buck Turgidson

People not dying of smallpox, with kids who don't get polio from the neighborhood pool, think vaccines are "meh".

This is America.

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed for the most part. We do have evidence that vaccines work. Apparently autism has only been tracked since the 1991. I say that to say you have to believe the government has been lying about autism as a side effect as well as ignore the evidence that they work which we have been vaccinating many years

#85 pgabriel, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The CDC also recommends paragraphs.

Nook, Rashmon, JumpMan and 6 others like this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Forcing parents to vaccinate their kids is so beyond the pale in a country built on individual liberty. The government would be stepping into truly authoritarian territory and I fear for the future of this nation that this is even up for debate. What's next, parents have to feed their kids? Shelter them? Bathe them? Teach them to speak?

Don't tread on me!

8. KingCheetah

Science Channel program Humanoids: Fact or Fiction said children can be taught to photosynthesize under certain circumstances.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Paragraph breaks are used to separate multi-point arguments into discrete ideas. That was one, very intricate idea. So it gets one paragraph.

;)

Rashmon and KingCheetah like this.
  10. KingCheetah

That was a Soviet Bloc level idea.

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bretharianism... it's a thing.

I'm guessing the movement has a lot of turnover, as older members die from starvation or dehydration.

12. KingCheetah

Wickiperdia states:

It is an established fact that humans require food and water (nutrients) to survive.[1][2][3]

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My god, Moloch, forbids vaccines.

#93 FranchiseBlade, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    No Worries, mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hey @Lurch, you asked a good question earlier: why aren't more people getting really sick if more people might be skipping vaccines?

The idea of herd immunity is key and this video might help.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe anti-vaxxers are really really smart.

Let everyone else vaccinate to create herd immunity, avoid the the admittedly very very small adverse reaction risk.

What about the hpv vaccine? Those with or soon to have teenage kids... do you plan to get this for them (especially girls)?

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We did not get the HPV vaccine our oldest son. I was fine either way.

We will vaccinate our daughter when she is old enough.

#96 juicystream, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pgabriel, B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're making it harder for us to move away from the idiotic perception.

19. Buck Turgidson

You think he's gonna watch this? That's what a herd animal would do.

JuanValdez likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

That's really interesting, curious why the difference?