1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He is already considered one of the greatest barnhouse players in Spartan history. I am fully confident that he will blow the roof off of most barns and codell will end up majorly pwned by his statement, of course it is a little known fact that most greek farm barns have very poorly constructed, low quality roofing, consisting of dried mud and straw -- this is mostly because L.Ron has forbidden the usage of sheetrock.

#61 SamFisher, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. codell

codell Contributing Member

JVG kicked V-Spans new puppy, so he definitely is not worthy of stepping onto a basketball court again.

3. BBall Scientist

BTW, this is the "Greek barn" per Jeff Van Gundy that Panathinaikos Athens plays in:

http://abc.net.au/olympics/2004/venues/basketball.htm

Olympic Indoor Hall
    Olympic Indoor Hall

"The Olympic Indoor Hall will host the basketball finals and the artistic gymnastics (AFP)

Basketball and gymnastics events will take place at the Olympic Indoor Hall, part of the Athens Olympic Sports Complex in Maroussi.

The hall has been built with the aim of squeezing in as many fans as possible.

For the basketball, the capacity will be 19,250. This will fall slightly to 17,500 for the gymnastics events (artistic and trampoline).

The building itself is remarkable for its simplicity. Just four pillars, each 35 metres tall, support its roof, making it the biggest construction of its kind in the world.

This allows plenty of natural light to stream into the venue, which is home to a local basketball club."

As Jeff Van Gundy would say, "In America we call this a Baklavian Hell Hole."

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More hoops****e articles.

It must be cyclical when a flood of these pop up around here.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The barnhouse explains all of the turnovers. When you play barnhouse rules you are generally allowed to play the carom off the wall or the hay loft, as they are both in play. He had a hard time adapting to NBA style.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Did I say lock this thread? Forget it. This is a 5-star thread, just like the other one. Martin Van Buren would have approved.

7. BBall Scientist

If this is correct as you surmise, then perhaps he was thinking that "back in Greece" when the coach put you in the doghouse you threw the ball off the hay loft and the carom could hit the coach in the head?

Was he having a flash back to the "Greek barn house rules" and therefore was he really aiming for Van Gundy when he was throwing no look lob passes to Deke and Juwan?

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

hmmm on a comedy show you would be designated the "straight" man. ;) Not sure what that makes the rest of em though. The comedic relief?

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Why? I still would have traded V-Span for Scola and Butler. Especially with Steve, Brooks and James in the fold.

10. Sextuple Double

And to think this was the same guy that once believed Vspan is the 2nd coming of Pistol Pete. It was hard enough trying to convince him that Vspan wasn't even as good as Kirk Hinrich.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Papaloukas says this in interview:

sports24.gr website

(I try to translate my best)

"I could have gone to NBA this year, both Hawks and Heat offer me full MLE to play for them and be starting point guard with them. But I decide not to now after what Jeff Van Gundy does to Vassilis Spanoulis, so I stay with CSKA Moscow for less money. I see NBA is biased and coaches can bench Greek players for no reason for players like Rafer Alston. Vassilis can make it in NBA I know. I know he is better than Rafer Alston, this I have no doubt.

Lots of players in Greek League from NBA and Vassilis owns them. I visit Vassilis at rookie camp in NBA and he toys with American players. Rockets coach is an arrogant ass. Vassilis makes Kirk Hinrich, Chris Paul, and Dwyane Wade look bad in WBC and he cannot even play ahead of Rafer Alston? When Vassilis play last year in Euroleague he is still 2nd best point guard in world outside NBA to me, but by WBC's he was already surpassed me and the Diamond Man (Diamantidis of Panathinaikos Athens), and remember he's best defender in Europe I think 3 times now.

Now, finally I see him again and play against him again as he just comes back to National team. He is now far better than I am. He is much quicker, stronger and more explosive. We are all shocked on the team and cannot believe it.

Even coach (Obradovic) who has believed Vassilis is best guard prospect out of Europe ever, even he says Billy now plays like he is unstoppable. We cannot guard Billy anymore. He simply dominates the whole National Team now. For sure we cannot be beaten at Eurobasket. Everyone will see what he can do, rest of teams will be in trouble. I think Rockets team will look very bad after the Eurobasket.

Vassilis told me he worked on his game all day all night since Van Gundy didn't let him play, he does nothing but work thinking I will show him (Jeff Van Gundy) and I will be best player in world outside NBA in Euroleague. Then other NBA teams will know it was just that stupid coach not me. He also told me he worked with weight training every day and night. He is like a pit bull now in defense, even better than Diamond Man, best defender in Europe.

I am Euroleague MVP but he is now way above me, he is much better than me at same age. Luis Scola (2 time Euroleague MVP) is maybe top 5 player in Europe, me, Daimond Man, Navarro, Luis, Billy. But Billy is much much better I say now than Luis is and he's younger player and much better defender. Rockets team is crazy."

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I pulled that translated article off another bulletin board. However, I have no reason to believe it's false.

I am still and forever

Your Certified JVG Hater! :mad:

13. codell

What NBA players?

14. codell

15. ¿TRNT?

¿TRNT? Member

Where's the link to the article?

16. BBall Scientist

Good question,

I'm going by memory trying to think of guys over the years that come to mind that played in Greek leagues. I listed players that come to mind NBA and Greek leagues. Anyone not during Span's time I mentioned that, of course Papaloukas simply said the NBA players that had played in Greece, Span is better so all can be part of this list under the criteria he said.

It's interesting that the ONLY player who was comparable to Spanoulis in Greece was Dominique Wilkins, Spanoulis is FAR better than every other player here in Greece. It's even frankly debatable if Dominque was better in Greece was than Spanoulis. Yes that's true. This probably also casts a doubt on the attitude of many fans here that Spanoulis "simply is not NBA material."

I bolded the NBA players that played in Greece that were significant NBA players, that were without doubt GOOD NBA players.

Toby Bailey

Anthony Bowie

Chris Carr

Lionel Chalmers

Ruben Patterson

Ricky Pierce
    (before Span's time though)

Ibrahim Kutluay

Jake Tsakalidis (of Rockets as well)

Victor Alexander

Rolando Blackman

Willie Anderson

Harold Ellis

Roy Tarpley

Will Solomon

Smush Parker

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

Sofoklis
    (draft pick by Clippers, considered NBA talent player)

Pat Burke

Renaldas Seibutis
    (draft pick Mavs, considered NBA talent player)

Giorgos Printezis
    (draft pick Spurs considered NBA talent player)

Derrick Dial

Pepe Sanchez

Luis Scochioni
    (he never played in NBA but was considered NBA level talent, member of Argentine National Team)

Dino Radja

John Amaechi (also of Rockets as well)

Antonis Fotsis

Dejan Bodirogo
    (never played in NBA but offered several NBA contracts)

Zelijco Rebraca

Tracy Murray (former Rocket as well)

Rodney Buford

Tony Delk
    (played there last year took Spanoulis' roster spot on his old team)

Lonny Baxter (former Rocket as well)

Anthony Avent

John Salley

Dominique Wilkins

Byron Scott

Jerome Allen

Antonio Davis
    (Wasn't there with Spanoulis era, but was I believe with Papaloukas, who was making the comment)

Trajan Langdon

Tyus Edney

Will Bynum

Arvydus Macijauskus
    (after Spanoulis left, but certainly had nowhere near the year Spanoulis has had)

Lawrence Roberts
    (just starting there but showed he is decent player in NBA)

Qyntel Woods
    (Spanoulis also superior to him there)

Efthimios Rentzias

Nikos Zisis
    (considered NBA talent player)

Basically other than 'Nique Spanoulis >>>> in Greece than everyone else on that list.

'Nique and Spanoulis in Greece about even probably.

17. BBall Scientist

That brings it to 49 NBA players in Greek leagues not counting Spanoulis.

Spanoulis in Greece >>>>>>>> than 48 of the 49

Spanoulis in Greece about = to the other one Dominque in Greece

You know, it really is sad that some fans here believe Spanoulis didn't even deserve a chance, I mean not only was he better in Greece than 48 NBA players we are talking >>>>>>>>>> better.

18. BBall Scientist

Clippers just signed Guillermo Diaz who played in Greece. So that's another one now NBA player.

Spanoulis also in Greece >>>>>>>>>> than Diaz.

If Spanoulis never ever deserved a shot in NBA like so many fans claim, then why on earth would Diaz get a contract?

19. SmitingPurpleEm

I think that article is either fake or very poorly translated. I seriously doubt that Papaloukas, who is a veteran, would say inflammatory things like this. It seems far too blatant, which is where a poor/biased translation would come in.

What seems especially fake is how he trashes Alston; I can't see how Papaloukas, a pro basketball player, would ever say that about another pro basketball player. It just isn't done. If you feel that way about another player, you keep it to yourself, you don't say it to the media. If you do, the other player always finds a way to kick your ass, and surely Papaloukas knows this.

It would be nice if you could find the primary source.

20. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I hope your boss reads this post and fires you.

Sure it has nothing to do with your job, just like JVG coaching Vspan has nothing to do with his play by play on ESPN, which most people actually enjoy.

P.S. Vspan sucked. Its not like ten teams were dying to trade for him at the deadline due to his incredible potential. And its not like teams lined up to trade for him before the draft. Vspan ended up being a salary dump. Not too many great players end up being salary dumps.