1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Simms > Ellinger

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So it appears Mack Brown actually was doing something impressive in his first decade. It doesn't seem that "any coach at UT" can finish in the top 10 every season as I was so constantly reminded by other incomprehensibly arrogant Longhorn fans.

2 years in a row the air was sucked out of our season before it even began.

arkoe likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Of course he was - he was better than any of the QB's we've had since Colt. He was a really good QB - his problem was that he wasn't the best QB on the roster. Applewhite was simply better than him.

tinman and Turbo like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

I doubt anyone actually said that - if that were true, people would have just wanted to keep Mack.

The goal, after Mack got lazy and the team stagnated, was to find another coach that could get them back into the top 10 - the whole point was that any ol' coach *couldn't* do it. But lots of teams do manage to be perennial top 10 type teams, and Texas has all the resources needed, so there's no reason Texas can't be in that mix if they find the right coach.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

This makes me sad

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because their coaches would have tortured them to death had they lost.

Because they did that.

Seriously in a sane universe not only would Maryland not be playing on Saturday but the coaches would be in jail.

But, we don't live in that universe we live in sham NCAA plantation world where overseers stealing money from penniless players is virtue and any transgression is vice. Go Terps.

Nook likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm still holding faith in Herman. He needs to get out of his own way though and start making some tough decisions, starting with Beck. Hermans non-answers about playcalling is a complete joke for a team with a .500 record. Beck is either calling plays or you better man up and say I’m doing it. No collaborative effort, final approval, veto power, etc...crap. The offense has been downright terrible since day 1.

Second and definitely easier said than done, he needs to find a QB. Ehlinger makes nice plays here and there, but the accuracy just isn’t there consistently and we all know the stories on the late game decision making.

I don’t know if it’s Beuchele or maybe one of the freshman. But don’t think you can keep 3 guys on the bench of Ehlinger doesn’t improve quickly.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook and tinman like this.
  9. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I guess it doesn't take much to be inducted into the Mensa society these days :rolleyes:

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Simms was an NFL quarterback(not a very good one) where Ellinger won't even get invited to camp.

tinman likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, it is pretty simple, Ehlinger is just not that bright. He is a bruiser, but he is a SLOW thinker and does not process things very well, he has single-handily cost the Longhorns at least 4 games. It is time to move on from him, he will NEVER EVER win big for them because he is not a quick enough thinker, he is just not all that sharp.

Move him to HBack or TE - and let Buechele go at it......

We need someone that can read defenses and hit the open man - UT is tired of being let down by poor QB play, and if Herman is too ****ING Stupid to see that Ehlinger is not good enough then get his sorry ass out of here too.

RE: Beck - give the man a QB that can hit an open receiver before making any judgments....

DD

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Shane can’t throw the ball well past 20 yards and can’t scramble when the line breaks down. Stick with Sam.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And never be above .600 for his career.

Nope, he is not good enough, next man up.

DD

14. gucci888

The line held up well in pass pro IMO and Sam missed some very completable throws whether being off target or just a tad late. His last throw was a good foot and a half over a jumping 6’4” WR. Plenty of time left with two plays to get 10 yards and Sam just let it sail quite badly. Maryland also completely neutralized his scrambling at the end of the game with a 3 man rush and a single spy. If you’re a DC, I’m stopping the run and making Sam throw, wouldn’t even bother blitzing.

All that being said, I hate making the switch after one game into the season but Sam needs to flip the switch soon.

Bob Barker 007 and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Serious question.

How hot is the Herman seat in Austin?

If Herman goes 6-6 this season, is he back next season?

I haven't been as tapped into the UT program the last 2 seasons and was curious.

17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I'd imagine his rope is about as long as Strong's, 3 mediocre seasons and you're out.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

People got short memories. We didn't lose the game because of Ehlinger. We lost because our defense couldn't stop them. We gave up too many explosive plays in long runs and long passes from busted coverage. Our kicker was horribly inconsistent and would give Maryland good field position. Our O-line couldn't protect a 3-man rush. It was pretty much a team loss. They'll get better with experience. Ehlinger played about as well as a true sophomore would, and we'll see if he's improved from last year.

I'd say our only bright spot was the WR corps. They had some very athletic catches when Ehlinger was on target.

And Buechele doesn't move the needle, either. Buechele can't throw accurately past 10 yards and he's not going to escape any tackles when our O-line crumbles.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  20. gucci888

Don’t think anyone is putting this loss solely on Ehlinger nor should they. But he did not play particularly well, especially down the line which we saw way too often last season.