1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Not impressed. You can buy a 43" TV off Amazon for like $189. Plus, today kids are more impressed with cell phones than TV's.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Cool story.

3. Buck Turgidson

What were your takes from the Spring Game? I have paid zero attention to it other than Kirk Bohls in the paper this morning thinks Buechele is the starting QB.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I watched the first half. Yeah, Buechele is clearly better than Ehlinger. Buechele looked pretty good, as did Collin Johnson.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

If that guy doesn't end up as a stud somebody is doing something wrong.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's one of the best over the middle throws I've seen from Buechele. But being 48-48 before the half, doesn't look like much defense was being played to begin with.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Brando2101

It's hard to take much from the game since you don't know if you are looking at a good/bad offense or a good/bad defense. The biggest thing I was excited to see was Shane's arm and throwing that ball up the middle. Still, it's easier when he's not getting hit but you still feel good anyway. I think it's like trying to evaluate teams in the pro-bowl but I'm not an expert.

I'm not sure this spring was that transformative but it's hard to expect that kind of progress that quickly. They'll hopefully have a good sync going into the summer camp but I think you're still looking at a 7-8 win season. A lot of the defenders behind the line seemed underdeveloped by a year or two and that takes time to fix. You still had guys out of position or making the wrong cuts on bad reads. Still, I feel a lot better about where he is going with the team than I did in Strong's first year. I was always annoyed with the stories of him getting up at 5am to go work out in the gym and working out with his players in general. I want my coaches to have bellies.

Major likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just got around to watching it but ya Shane was locked in and throwing some dimes. He also picked up some big yardage on the ground which I think will be a big part of the offense. Obviously he wasn't getting hit but thought he was decisive on tucking and running for it. The 2nd team OL did not have a good day so it was a rough outing for Ehlinger. He had a few pretty throws though.

Collin Johnson is an absolute beast.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And this is just spring , can't wait for september

11. Brando2101

Highlights of the game:

Also,

#9411 Brando2101, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

They used a modified scoring system. The offense scored 4 TD's, 3 by the 1's and 1 by the 2's. Orange was defense white was Offense. Buechele looked good, Ehlinger was with the #2 O against the #1 D so it's hard to tell but his throws didn't look real good and he held on to the ball too long.

Turbo and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  13. Brando2101

The Godzilitron is being replaced at DKR with a LED display. It'll be brighter and won't require an air conditioning unit to cool it. They'll also add smaller ribbon boards around the stadium’s seating bowl. It's suppose to be installed by the start of the 2017 season. I remember hearing that the company that installed the Godzillatron is no longer in business so servicing it was tough. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

http://www.hookem.com/2017/04/19/next-upgrade-texas-brighter-better-screen-coming-godzillatron/

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

15. gucci888

Never seen this before. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

16. Brando2101

This is odd. Unlikely we end up with two QBs in the class by the end of it.

17. gucci888

I think we will, just not sure it'll be these 2. Thompson already confirmed that Stoops has reached out. Also said Herman told him from the start that they'd be taking 2 QBs this class.

18. Brando2101

Not these two. It's very rare for two relatively high ranked QBs to go in the same class.

Also, everyone want to make final predictions for Foreman?
    I say to the Patriots at 131 or Panthers at 115 or Eagles at 118. If he goes in the 3rd round then I would say Vikings at 79 or Colts at 80.

#9418 Brando2101, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  19. gucci888

Gonna go Patriots at #72. Also think it's possible he could sneak into the 2nd to the Giants at #55.

20. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19236265/former-texas-rb-donta-foreman reveals pain of coping with sons death

NFL draft prospect D'Onta Foreman revealed Monday that he played through the pain of losing his infant son during his prolific junior season at Texas.

Foreman was college football's leading rusher with 2,028 yards in 2016 and is the No. 7 ranked running back in this week's draft, according to Scouts Inc. In an interview with NFL Network, Foreman said his son, D'Onta Jr., was born prematurely and died at 7 weeks old due to an intestinal infection.

"I really didn't know how to feel," Foreman told the network. "I was like numb. I felt like something was taken away from me before I had a chance to experience it."

Foreman kept quiet about his son's death during his run to 2,000 yards and the Doak Walker Award, honoring the nation's top running back. He finished eighth in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

D'Onta Jr. was born after just 23 weeks of pregnancy and weighed 15 ounces. He spent 50 days in intensive care and died on the same day that Foreman rushed for a career-best 341 yards and three touchdowns in a win over Texas Tech (Nov. 5).

"It was just something about that game, it was like, 'I'm doing it for my son. I'm leaving it all out here,'" Foreman said.

Foreman also revealed he and his girlfriend, Carissa McGaskey, are expecting another child in September.