1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Not going to reply. Cool you put in your last word. Let's just move on.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think I've seen you make this argument before - what's your reasoning behind saying that more players are now capable of playing D1 football? Switching from pro-style offenses to 4 and 5 WR sets has made college football's talent requirements more in line with its talent funnel?

3. Brando2101

UT's Pro Day was yesterday where current and former players showcased their skills in front of scouts from all NFL teams.

Some Notes:
    -RB D'onta Foreman slimed down and ran a 4.41 to 4.48 Forty Yard Dash which is pretty good for a heavier power back. He was injured at the NFL combine which likely hurt his draft status
    -QB Tyrone Swoops worked out as a Tight End
    -OL Kent Perkins bench-pressed 225 pounds 35 times for whatever that is worth.
    -DB Dylan Haine worked out
    -Former RB Johnathan Gray participated in the hope of getting invited to a training camp. His second achilles tear after his senior season killed that chance a couple years ago
    -Former QB David Ash participated as well. He did well as a QB %86 completion but sucked as a punter. I doubt any team would take a chance on him
    -Former longhorns Desmond Jackson, Daje Johnson and Josh Turner also participated

I'm guessing Foreman will be the only player drafted. He might be the 2nd best power back but the fallout from the combine hurt. I thought he could go in the 1st to 2nd round but he might slip to the later rounds after his injury. I don't know about the alums. Gray wasn't the same after he tore his achilles the first time at the end of his sophomore year 2013. His output dropped a lot in 2014 and 2015 but so did the team's yards per game. Then again, I don't know the harm in inviting a guy to a camp. I'm not sure how they make those choices.

It'll be the 2nd straight disappointing year for the draft after getting 5 players drafted in 2015

#9363 Brando2101, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think you are getting hung up on a small detail of what I said. Mack had a history of being an amazing recruiter at UT, even the last three years weren't bad with the exception at QB, mind you that's a big exception. Charlie had horrible results on the field and that is the end conclusion. People are trying to make it seem like Charlie did a great job recruiting and it was fine but it wasn't that special where if Tom Herman does amazing in his first year you point and, "wow Charlie did a great job". Trust me its not because of anything that Charlie did whether Tom has a good first year or not and I'm sure over the course of 5-10 years Tom will show that.

Mack Brown also had a loaded house when he came to UT and the previous year they were horrible (from 4-7 to 9-3). Ricky William, Applewhite, Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, etc. etc. etc. Nobody ever said, "Boy, Mack Brown really did well because John Mackovic got him all those recruits". I think there is a desire for some people to try to paint Charlie's time at UT as successful. Maybe that's do to the fact the Charlie is a good guy, righteous guy, and a great personal mentor but it doesn't change the fact that on the field his teams at UT were horrible at a historic level.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya Perkins' 35 reps would tied for the top spot in the combine. Think him and Swoopes will be UDFA but big uphill battle for the other folks. Foreman's 40 definitely helped him and think he'll go in the 2nd somewhere. I would hate for this to happen but the Pats picking him at #64 would be a steal for them.

6. Brando2101

Yea I guess I don't see the reps as a big deal. I mean it's something. I didn't see any reports on his times for the mobility drills. Guys usually do better at their own pro days than the combine but it's not his fault he wasn't invited.

I hope Foreman can go that high but I think it might be late 3rd or 4th. Missing the combine hurts as well as having a stress fracture in a foot on a 232 lb body that's expected to power through the interior line.

#9366 Brando2101, Mar 29, 2017
  7. gucci888

Foreman was a 3rd rounder before yesterday IMO, think his 40 time solidified that and possibly bumped him up a round. Guessing that stress fracture healed but sure teams will examine it prior to the draft. Not to be a homer but think he is one of the more underrated players in the draft.

8. Brando2101

I mean, time will tell. I love him but he's not an open field guy. He doesn't have moves to create holes. He powers through defenders. There is nothing wrong with that style of back but that's a whole different ballgame when looking at pro lineman and Linebackers vs college.

This type of injury raises major concerns. For example, Pitt's T.J. Clemmings was expected to be a 1st round pick and dropped to the 4th after they found a stress fracture in his foot. Offensive lineman put a lot of weight and power on their feet but not compared to the force that power running backs do. They weight and acceleration of their bodies are generated by their feet and then they have to overcome the force generated by opposing lineman and linebackers.

Also, I don't understand why you are putting that much stock into his 40 time. All the power running backs that are productive in the NFL that have a similar weight as Foreman were all slow as **** on their 40. Those times are usually faster at Pro Days than the combine due to the type of track they run on and having control over every part of their workout vs being herded at the combine. Why do you care if your power back can run a fast 40? He's not running full speed most of the time he gets the ball.

Picks in the 1st three rounds are worth way too much to take a risk on a guy who has stress fracture in the most important part of his body especially when there are so many good running backs this year.

Before anyone just calls me a pessimist I was to point out that I thought Foreman would go in the end of the 1st or 2nd round when he declared for the draft. Missing the combine is huge. Having a stress fracture in your foot is huge. That's why my prediction changed. I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see the kid get paid.

#9368 Brando2101, Mar 29, 2017
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yup, plus math. More kids, more money, more incentives.

High school football is an industry in 2017 the way it wasn't in 1997. It produces more quantity , at higher quality, and yet the number of scholarships has remained fixed.

10. gucci888

Don't understand how you don't care about a 40 time but yet consider missing the combine as "huge." So are you saying that the vertical and broad jump, shuttle, cone drill, etc...are that much important? If you don't believe the 40 is important for a power back, how does jumping as high or far as you can standing still or any of the other combine drills help/hurt you that much?

But won't argue the merits of these measurements because I agree with you somewhat, but scouts do take this into account and you see if every year with guys moving up and sliding after the combine and pro days. Whether it translate to the field is a different story.

11. Brando2101

I don't think you understand the combine. The point is to see all of the available talent next to one another and compare them on the exact same standards with the same variables. You can compare how they move and how they deal with stress. Being able to sit there and see guy after guy do the exact same thing is extremely valuable. Yes, the drills are important but that's not the biggest point.

Guys always perform better at their pro days for a lot of those reasons including because (however it works) the tracks they run on are faster than the surface at the combine. You can't just compare them evenly. That's the point of the combine. Eliminate variables and compare players.

Also, you have entire scouting staffs from every team at the combine. You have the GMs that make the decisions at the combine. No GM was at the UT pro day. You are going to have 1 or maybe 2 scouts at the war room go back to the war room and win everyone over with the 40 time of a guy who no one saw at the combine who was performing in his own backyard with his own support staff around him.

Not to mention he had (or has) a stress fracture in his foot. I don't understand how you don't see that as a major deal for a running back.

12. Brando2101

Bobby Burton update from 247

13. gucci888

I hear ya but guess I disagree with the severity of it. A lot of folks skips combine workouts for one reason or the other. Only reason I emphasized his 40 time because it kept him on par with Fournette and Cook's time, even if it was a pro day workout. Also showed that his stress fractured maybe fully healed since I doubt he would've trained and ran on it had it wasn't.

Guess we'll see but if I were a betting man, I'd bet Foreman is gone by the 2nd round.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

only 1 committed recruit so far?

15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, but he's *really* committed.

It's too early to care. Part of Mack's downfall was recruiting guys early, and then their Sr year they don't look as promising but he still honored the offer.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. Brando2101

17. Buck Turgidson

Brando, next time you see Shipley tell him to give me my hair and beard back.

Uncanny.

Thanks for posting that.

18. Progs

Progs Member

Yeah lol

19. gucci888

Jacorey Warrick got an invite to workout for the Texans. Good to see a hometown kid get some interest.

20. Brando2101

Halfway through spring, Herman still focused on evaluating
    http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Halfway-through-spring-Herman-still-focused-on-evaluating-52122402