1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is it typical for this many guys to redshirt? I don't follow this process well enough to know. 12 redshirts seems like a lot, but if that's normal, then obviously a lot of this year's class will redshirt. Also, of those redshirts, who are the 2-4 guys that could make the most impact.

Can't speak to the outside view/narrative of Hermann's assistant and recruiter hires. But big picture, they've had great recruiting classes for years and still have sucked for a number of years in a row now. I don't think a "down" - by rankings - recruiting class means squat.

To your point, need to have a QB. I agree Ehrlinger should redshirt, as Beuchele seems capable.

Again, big picture, if Hermann can coach up the current sqaud to 9+ wins, their most since 2012, next year's recruiting class will be huge and the team will be well set up.

2. Major

Major Member

I think that's a function of the SEC and their success leading to their TV deals more so than A&M. The SEC isn't really on regionally that much - CBS and ESPN all do national broadcasts. ABC is the one that does regional, and they don't do much (or any?) SEC games.

SEC Network was probably going to be covered by Texas cable packages anyway because the whole country likes watching SEC football.

3. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing you were talking to me there? I'm confused.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When UH beat Florida State, that shocker put the nation on notice
    When UT beats USC, Herman is going to shock em again

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It's not that disappointing when you look at our record the last three years.
    That's a knee jerk reaction, and it's completely incorrect. This staff has a lot of experience in recruiting. Part of the issue is after 3 years of listening to Charlie's BS, high school players and coaches are wary.
    No, we don't.
    I hope we don't. Ehlinger is likely the starter. He's a better fit in Herman's system, and he's more talented than Buechele.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think there is a normal really. You tend to see more redshirts at better programs that aren't likely to have a lot of competition for returning starters. Part of it was that last year's class was over the quota but they were able to move some of the recruits to the 2015 cap since they enrolled early.

The impact players could be Patrick Hudson (OL), J.P. Uriquidez (OL), Chris Daniels (DL), Andrew Fitzgerald (DE) and Eric Cuffee (DB) but who knows. I think Fitz could stand out the most but Hudson is suppose to be solid.

Agreeeee.

The circumstances were different. Florida St didn't get up for that game. They were disappointed to miss the playoffs and to play UH. USC is at home and in line this year to win the pac 12 and make the playoffs. There is also going to be a desire for revenge. I called the win against Notre Dame and that was before we knew that ND sucked. I do not think there is anyway we beat USC this year in the 2nd game of the season. I think it's certainly possible in 2018.

That's true and depressing.

I don't think anyone can come close to saying there is a likely starter. We'll see how spring ball goes but Herman comes in with a blank slate. I would rather give Sam a year to sit and learn and take advantage of Shane's experience but they'll do whatever they think gives them the best chance to win.

I would not be surprised to see Heard take snaps in the spring. VY had the same completion percentage as Heard did his first year and Cardale Jones was not that much more accurate when Ohio St won the championship. I'm not saying that I'm big on the kid but that the right offense and coach can get a lot more out of him.

#9246 Brando2101, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No problem with folks feeling disappointed IMO. Don't think anyone was expecting a Top 10 class but it'll never be easy watching recruits go out of state after putting on a full court press like we did with some of these kids. And I disagree with it being Charlie's fault, we dropped out of consideration almost immediately for a lot of the top prospects in the state after we let him go.

With that said, Herman just has to win and recruiting will fall into place.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

With everything Herman did at UH, I'm surprised he couldn't reel in more top prospects to UT. I realize he's been there a short time, but he had almost two months to nab any undecideds and to try to flip a few big names. UT definitely got some talent, it's not like they missed on everyone. But, Herman really generated a lot of excitement the moment he stepped on the campus at UH and it seemed to help their recruiting immediately.

Anyway, I am expecting big things this next season. I will be shocked if the Horns don't have a very good team. The talent is there, Herman is a good coach. Looks like the Horns are rich in QB talent. What could go wrong?

9. Brando2101

Don't get crazy now.

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm not saying we are Ohio State, but many, many schools would take Buechele and Ehlinger over what they have now.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Ehlinger broke Drew Brees school records.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Garrett Gilbert was the top QB recruit in his class. Let's see them play before we start claiming we're "rich" at QB.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. Brando2101

Agreed. We are still in a below average position with the QB. We have a guy that switched to WR because he didn't play well. A freshmen who had surgery on his knee and thumb in his senior year of high school. We have a sophomore that could be good but wasn't amazing. He had a 2:1 TD-INT ratio, an accurate but below average arm strength and he's a toothpick. There is also Merrick who has never been close to the field. I like Shane but he has a long way to go to be a great college QB and you need a great WB to win. We aren't in panic mode in the QB area but we aren't great either.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was Rated higher than Andrew Luck. I don't know how accurate these ratings are especially at the high school level.

15. Nook

Nook Member

You have a lot of candidates, Herman will be able to find a way to get production out of the position.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Herman isn't sneaking up on anyone anymore, and there are a lot more responsibilities and requirements at UT, than at UH. Also, while the classes Herman got at UH were good, he mostly won with guys from classes that are not as well thought of when they came in under the previous coach. Tom Herman was able to flip some of his commitments that he got at UH, however it is a hard sell getting kids to trust him when he goes from selling them all on winning at UH and staying local, to saying overnight..... come to UT. He will get a very good class next year if he is able to generate some positive noise on the field next season.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Foreman was like 3 or 2 star recruit. Gilbert was still picked up by NFL practice squads.

I'm happy with our QB situation, consider it's significantly better than Swoopes/Case duo

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You haven't blocked those years from your mind yet? I won't let my self think of anything Case McCoy except for the last game in Kyle Field

19. Buck Turgidson

Gilbert had all the physical tools and the pedigree. He was built like an NFL QB when he was a freshman at UT. His problem was he was never, really ever, asked to actually read a defense at Lake Travis. Their team was so good, their spread system was so precise, their competition was lesser, that he rarely had to make anything more than a single checkdown after the snap. Then he didn't get taught or didn't learn that while at UT.

20. Buck Turgidson

Ehlinger is also a smaller guy, but the biggest thing he has going for him is his decision making with the ball. He doesn't turn it over and knows how to avoid contact.