1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

So who do you guys think is gonna win the QB race? Gilbert has the "experience" but it looks like David Ash is the best guy out there. Too bad Malcolm Brown has been injured, but it looks like hes getting back into full contact as of wednesday. Hopefully he will be as good as he looks, but Fozzy has great from practice reports. Discuss....

Hustle Town and Rip Van Rocket like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hopefully anyone but Gilbert. When I first saw him play a couple of years ago, I said that he looked like he had Chris Simms syndrom, tunnel vision. Who would have known that his is even worse than Simms in that regard. At least Simms showed up against the scrubs.

3. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I believe that Gilbert is going to win the race. He is Mack's golden child. It is amazing to think of all the accolades Gilbert had coming out of high school, that he would struggle so much. It was hilarious during the NC game vs. Alabama how Musburger kept saying that we were seeing Gilbert grow up in front of our eyes and how he will be a great QB.

Aftermath from the game, 15-40 with 6 TOs I think (4 ints and 2 fumbles). Sure, he was thrown in at a bad time under stressful circumstances, but those numbers are awful. Mack is much too proud to not let him finish his career as the starter (or at least this year). Also, both TDs in the NC game were to a wide open Shipley who is a great receiver. I guess that this short decline in UT football is great for OU fans :grin:

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm pulling for Ash. I think Wood is out, and I just have a tough time believing that Case is our man (although I hope he's second). As for Garrett, the fact that a Junior with a full season under his belt is fighting for his life against two Freshman and a Sophomore with about 5 minutes of game experience under his belt says a lot. Even if he is a little better than Ash or McCoy, you can't give him the job. Or at least I hope not. That being said, I would not be surprised in the slightest if GG takes the first snaps against rice.

I'm stoked about the emergence of Bergeron at RB. The fact that we have two power guys in Cody Johnson and Bergeron, plus two every down backs in Fozzy (barring injury, ha) and Brown, PLUS a speed demon in Monroe has me wondering how HarsinWhite plans to use them all. They certainly have plenty of options. I think Fozzy and Malcolm emerge as the two main backs, with DJ and Bergeron coming in as change of pace runners and CJ playing mostly a fullback role.

The most promising news out of practice is the OL improving and getting nasty. If they can hold it together then whoever we have at QB's life will become so much easier. Most people forget that about halfway through Colt's freshman year he was one of the Heisman front-runners, and his OL was a huge factor in that.

I think the front 7 on D is the best in the conference. Six of the seven will probably be playing on Sundays (Okafor, Randall, Jeffcoat, Hicks, Robinson, and Acho). But they better be stout, given our DB situation. I expect tons of pressure and big hits, but I also think we will give up our fair share of big passing plays. Hopefully the D can hold the team together long enough for the offense to get itself figured out.

As for overall perspective, I have no idea what to expect... and I love it. This is the most excited I've been for a season since I've been following the Longhorns. I could see a 6-6 season, and I can see the team gelling and pulling 10-2 out of their butts. QB, OL, and DB are the three areas of concern, but if they click there's no telling what is in store. If they don't though...

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

gilbert will not win the heisman but he will be invited to the nyc for the award presentation.

you will all be very surprised how well he plays this season.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gilbert will be the starter, at the beginning at least. mack is gonna give him every chance to succeed.

Longhorn fans have become spoiled during Mack's tenure. Until last year we had good, often great QB play every year. But coming down from Vince and Colt, Gilbert looked like a complete train wreck.

I for one am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, for now. If he stills sucks Mack needs to pull him, and I'm not sure Mack has that in him. Look how long it took him to give the reigns to Vince while Chance Mock stunk it up. And how quickly he gave the reigns to the Golden child Simms over Major. He seems to have his heart set on certain guys.

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I hope this isn't serious... A player from a 7-5 team, at best, will not be invited to the presentation.

8. Major

Major Member

He wasn't a train wreck in comparison to Colt or Vince - he was a train wreck, period. He led the entire NCAA in interceptions.

Gilbert may be the starter to open the season, but I don't think he'll last more than a game or two. All indications in practice are that he's being outplayed, and that he's continuing to throw INTs.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

if mack was sold on gilbert as the qb, he wouldn't allow the media to run with this qb battle story. i hope it's david ash because it's just a kickass name.

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

i dunno man, hes been struggling in camp, he had two INTS in last weeks scrimmage, only 1 first down, and no tds. Ash had 2 td's and no picks. Both against the starting D. You put the best man on the field, and at this point Ash has shown that its him

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I sure hope you're right, cause he was downright atrocious in the spring game.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Gilbert sucks. There's no way he should be starter. How long is Mack's leash. Another year <= .500 and what? Feels like he knows he is at least somewhat on the hot seat, which isn't entirely fair after 1 bad year, but this is the world we all live in... another bad year and there's no more coaches to change out...

that being the case, I think Ash is the easier starter. He seems to be better anyway, and Mack should have an easier time blaming a mediocre season on a very young quarterback then defending a decision to stick with Gilbert when he's being outplayed in practice.

13. SacTown

SacTown Member

Mack is a fraud who does very little coaching. Now that he doesn't have colt/vy to bail him out, he's starting to get exposed. My friend asked if I thought Mack was a good coach and my answer was that I didn't know, because there isn't enough evidence because he does very little coaching. He just recruits and claps.

14. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

LMFAO.

He's displayed the same piss-poor decision-making & body language this spring that had Kirk Bohls and the majority of Exes calling for his head after finishing 2-6 in the Big 12 last year. He's an INT machine, bottom line.

Ash appears to be the most fit to lead the team (he's drawn rave reviews from coaches and players), but Mack will roll with the more experienced signal caller to start the year. Ash will be starting by week 5, mark it down.

McCoy will ride the pine, and Wood will transfer.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

16. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

they say malcolm brown had his breakout practice in the scrimmage yesterday and was running over everyone. Joe Bergeron and Fozzy along with the oline they also say were doing well. Hopefully our running game can emerge from the dead, and it looks like that will be the case this year

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Ill have season tickets :)))

i hope its not gilbert, the guy panicks and cant throw a good ball. Seems like everything he throws wobbles. Might have to do with this throwing motion or something

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

the horns will be lucky to finish in the top 5 in the Big XII. probably looking at another loss to Baylor.

19. yo

yo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Always good to hear. Malcolm looks like a stud.

Can't wait for the season to start.