1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and Mack Brown?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DVauthrin, Oct 29, 2000.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Im a horns fan and personally i am pleased with Mack Brown. I feel he will bring a national title to texas within the next five years. People want to play for him. Trust me i was embarrassed when ut lost at stanford and ou, but that was before we finally settled our qb issue. I feel A&M is in for a big payback later this year in austin, and by the way if anybody has tickets and cant go I would most definitely be interested. I also like the decision to redshirt simms next year and horns fans need to keep believing in mack. Overall, I want the fans opinion on the state of the program and mack brown. (You already know mine!)

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I was one of the 10 people who didn't want Mackovic to be fired. However, after Brown's first year, I've given him credit for hiring Bull Reese because the defense has been amazing ever since. I've also enjoyed his recruiting success.

I don't like his attitude. Every year, he's been telling the fans that the team either isn't as good as they played ('98, '99) or not as good as they were ranked ('00). When players hear that, they start to believe it. I understand the early season losses the first year (KSU and UCLA), and I loved the comeback they performed (loss at TT prevented a Big XII championship game), but he still didn't want to say that his team was that good. Now the last two seasons' early losses are inexcusable. THREE BLOCKED PUNTS IN ONE GAME?!?!?! That is pathetic. One is bad enough, but three? Then we lose to KSU, again understandable, but that game I believe UT fans saw how bad a offensive coordinator Greg Davis is. After that game, huge wins against NU and Tech, but then the infamous bonfire.

I understand why Mack Brown did some of the things he did. Asking the players to give blood, classy. Now, when the players are pumped up after halftime, but Brown tells them to shut up and to take their helmets off out of respect to the Aggies was wrong. He should have asked them to go back in the locker room. When you're pumped up, then you are told to be quiet, it's hard to turn it back on again. It showed the next 10 quarters of the 1999 season-some of the worst football played at UT, it looked like Mackovic was still coaching.

Which brings us to this year. What's the old adage, you can't lose your starting job because of an injury? Well, we all know that this is not always the case. A player may get injured, and his replacement may come in and do great. But Applewhite was hurt in the last game and Simms did good in spring practice. So all of the sudden there's a QB controversy? Why? Because his last name is Simms, that's why. I was looking forward to seeing both QBs the first game, but Simms couldn't do crap and Applewhite led us to victory. That should've been it, damn the feelings of a famous guy's son. I'm convinced that if we would've had a permanent starter at Stanford, we'd have won. When you're constantly looking over your shoulder at the backup, you press too much. Both QBs did that. There's also no excuse when losing to a team that got beat by San Jose State the week before.

There's also no excuse for losing by 50 points to your rival.

I'm sick of these mythical recruiting championships. I want to be 6-0 for once!

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

3. Major

Major Member

I don't like his attitude. Every year, he's been telling the fans that the team either isn't as good as they played
    ('98, '99) or not as good as they were ranked ('00). When players hear that, they start to believe it.

Yes, and he didn't do that enough this year. They instead thought they were national title contenders like all of the media (and us) said, and as a result, underestimated a team like Stanford. If he did keep saying that to the team (there's a big difference between saying it to the media and to the team), then they didn't get the message since they believed they were nat'l title contenders. A head-coach's job is to protect against over-confidence. He didn't do a good job here, but your solution would just make it worse. [​IMG]

Now the last
    two seasons' early losses are inexcusable. THREE BLOCKED PUNTS IN ONE GAME?!?!?! That is pathetic.

Yes it is, and the problem has been fixed. In fact, we know have some of the best special teams in the country. Our kick & punt return units are good, kick coverage might be the best in the country, punt coverage is about the same. The only weakness is punting, and we've had ONE blocked punt in seven games. That's not bad...

Now, when
    the players are pumped up after halftime, but Brown tells them to shut up and to take their helmets off out of
    respect to the Aggies was wrong. He should have asked them to go back in the locker room. When you're pumped
    up, then you are told to be quiet, it's hard to turn it back on again.

That's just silly. A&M had no problem getting pumped up again.

So all of the sudden there's a QB
    controversy? Why? Because his last name is Simms, that's why.

That, I agree with.

There's also no excuse for losing by 50 points to your rival.

Sure there is, when your rival is, by far, the best team in the country. Playing hard is great and all, but it can't overcome a better team. We lost to A&M by 40 and beat A&M by 40 in a 3 yr span a few years ago. Was each coach a genius and a moron? Or was it just that one year we had the talent, one year they did? KSU got destroyed by Nebraska a few years ago -- does that mean Snyder is a horrible coach? FSU and UF occasionally blow each other out. Does that mean Bowden and Spurrier suck?

Blowouts are a part of college football. Deal with it. [​IMG]

I'm sick of these mythical recruiting championships. I want to be 6-0 for once!

So do the rest of us.. However, patience is a virtue. You wanted to keep Mackovic after 6 years of mediocrity. Why not extend the same opportunity to Mack Brown? [​IMG]

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would be more satisfied with Mack if he showed he had a killer instinct on the field like Bill Snyder (KSU).

I would be more satisfied with Mack if he could execute an offense like Bob Stoops (OU).

I would be more satisfied with Mack if was reserved like RC Slocum (A&M).

I would be more satisfied with Mack if he could win a conference title like Frank Solich (NU).

I feel he will bring a national title to texas within the next five years. People want to play for him.

That is pretty optimistic. He is a nice guy and I can see why people would want to play for him, but Marcus Spears (TE-LA) said it best. He is interested in Texas, but said that they don't win alot (something to that effect). Mack can win all the recruiting championships he wants, he needs to put it together on the field. $1 million a year, 10 year contract.... [​IMG]

Everyone can agree that the program took a step backwards this year. No excuses. We should have never had a two QB system. Mack should have either stuck with Simms or let Applewhite play the whole way. Simms was about to have his breakout game at Stanford, when Mack pulled him. Simms doesn't suck. He isn't progressing cause Mack and Greg Davis can't coach. If I was him I would transfer unless things change like a new offensive coordinator which doesn't seem like it is going to happen since Mack Daddy and Greg are best friends.

Simms was the 1999 USA Today Prep Player of the Year. It is not cause his dad is Phil. This guy can play. I don't blame Mack for giving him the opportunity to start. I am upset that Mack gives him garbage time. Redshirt him. I don't believe anything Mack says anymore.

I don't expect things to change in the near future. We will be competitive in the Big XII - (8-3, 9-2, 10-1). Don't expect any national championships anytime soon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited October 29, 2000).]

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I still believe in Mack. I'm not sure on his game day coaching skills, but you can't fault his recruiting skills. Things have certainly not slowed down since the OU game. Mack has picked up some key commits.

If Spears is concerned about our ability to win, why is LSU still on his list ? They don't win more than UT.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

6. Smokey

Spears' sister goes to LSU.

------------------

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They already lost a game this year because of a blocked punt.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

8. Smokey

I seem to be getting no responses. The truth hurts and you know it. OU doesn't suck anymore.

------------------

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You're right, OU doesn't suck. I think they'll have a tough game at atm. I do think they will beat NU again in KC. As far as NC, if they have to play a fast team like an FSU, they may be in trouble.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Mack Brown has proven himself to be a great recruiter, but he has yet to prove himself to be a great coach.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's very, very hard to beat NU twice in one season.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

With the first Mac we got no defense and flat play. With the current Mack the offense is way, way to predictable (who ehere can't tell when we are going to pass and we we are going run, opponents D's sure can) and we do very little mid-range passing plays to consistently move the ball up the field the way our personelle should allow. Special teams have also been bad, the punt block team has already cost us 2 losses to far inferior teams in 2 years.

If the new Mack does not have us in national title contention next year at least through late October and does not play consistent ball that would be enough of him for me.

13. Smokey

Who is the idiot that signed Mack Brown to a 10 year contract, and what was that based on? Personality?

I wouldn't be so fast to fire Mack Brown. I hope he isn't hard headed like Mackovic. Changes need to be made offensively (ex. fire Greg Davis). He made some adjustments at UNC but just couldn't get over the FSU hump. Mack is only in his 3rd season. I would give him four more years to show that he can coach. Right now I would settle for a conference title, national titles are too difficult for us.

------------------

14. Major

Major Member

How many Conference titles has Mack won in his career as a head coach? Im pretty sure it is a big fat ZERO. Not really the
    track record of a MILLION dollar coach.

How many Conference titles has Bob Stoops won in his career as a head coach? (hint: same answer) And he's paid $500k more than Mack Brown.

OU may regret this decision once Heupel is gone...

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

15. Smokey

OU won't regret it. They will have their 7th National Championship in January.

RC Slocum didn't cry after the Bonfire tragedy but Mack Brown sure did. I won't be surprised if the Aggies come in to our House and escape with a win.

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited November 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited November 01, 2000).]

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am assumming this is the same idiot who brought Texas athletics down from top 3 nationally to relative mediocrity, who chased out the BB coach who turned around that program, who hired McWilliams and the Macs, none other than that good ole boy Deloss Dodds .

In my opinion he has done a far worse job than any of the coaches he has chased out or fired.

17. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Mack Brown is no Bob Stoops that is for sure. OU defintily came out the winner getting Stoops on and off the field.

What is the deal with Mack crying all the time in the locker room, and then talking about it on the radio? What a puss. Not the kind of trait you want in someone who is supposed to be a LEADER.

No wonder Mack ALWAYS chokes in the end.

How many Conference titles has Mack won in his career as a head coach? Im pretty sure it is a big fat ZERO. Not really the track record of a MILLION dollar coach.

------------------

18. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

shanna are you stupid or just dumb?

This is Bob Stoops SECOND year as head coach, this Mack Browns????????

Mack has been coaching for 15+ seasons as a HEAD COACH, with ZERO conference championships!!!!

Oh, after 1.5 years as a coach Stoops his team ranked #1 in the nation....even though he hasn't won 3 WORHTLESS recruiting titles in a row. How many times in Mack’s illustrious till fear career has he had his team ranked number 1 in the nation? How many wins over #1 teams does he have?

Stoops gave Mack a 13 year head start!

Mack=Stoops B!TCH

end of story, now go get your crying towel.

Just like UT football, Mack is overrated and gets the least out of the resources he has!

UT, ZERO top 10 finishes in 17 years! Despite having the largest athletic budget in the nation. LOL!

------------------

19. Major

Major Member

so you think it's bad to pay a coach who has proven himself (see North Carolina) capable of coaching top 5 teams $1MM, but it's appropriate to pay a coach who might be great or who might be living on the shoulders of one player, but has never accomplished anything yet $1.5MM?

I think neither should have gotten an extension after one year -- wait till they prove themselves over a period of time (at least a full year of greatness, if not more). Both schools may still regret it. If you think one 6-0 half-season makes an incredible coach, I think you'll be disappointed fairly soon.

------------------

I didnt think so!!!!

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wouldn't say OU is just one player. Their defense has been pretty amazing all year.

What Brown did at UNC does not warrant a $1 million salary, unless never winning the big game or conference championship counts.

Also, Stoops is 6-0 after beating three straight top 10 teams. Of course, it's a joke that a Mack Brown coached team with this much talent was ever ranked in the top 10.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited November 02, 2000).]