1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Why we all need to root for the Houston Rockets to win Game 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, May 8, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why we all need to root for the Houston Rockets to win Game 5

By: Andy Nesbitt | May 8, 2019 1:06 am

This is the online version of our morning newsletter, The Morning Win. Subscribe to get irreverent and incisive sports stories, delivered to your mailbox every morning. Ted Berg usually writes this but he’s on vacation this week (probably eating extravagant sandwiches on his yacht somewhere) so Andy Nesbitt will be filling in. Ted asked that we include this mention so that you don’t go after him about this week’s takes.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, especially since just a few weeks ago I wrote about how hard it is to watch James Harden play, but… I’m rooting for the Houston Rockets to win Wednesday night’s pivotal Game 5 in Oakland.

And so should you.

Why? Because this is likely the last chance a team in the West will have this year of keeping the Warriors from going to the NBA Finals for the 400th year in a row. If the Rockets win Game 5 on the road, there’s no way they’re losing Game 6 at home, a place where the Warriors just lost two in a row.

Which would be great.

Because I think it’s safe to say all of us outside of Oakland are tired of seeing this group play for a title.

I’m tired of Draymond flopping. I’m sick of Draymond poking people in the eyes. I’m sick of Steph Curry injury talk. I’m sick of Kevin Durant, who teamed up with Curry to miss two huge shots in Game 4, playing for the Warriors.

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)

Though I do like how Klay Thompson recently walked out of the “Avengers: Endgame” movie. But I’ll get back to that in a bit.

It’s time for something new in the NBA – a NBA Finals without either the Warriors or LeBron James for the first time sine 2010 when the Lakers beat the Celtics. Man, remember when the Lakers used to go to the playoffs?

The East looks like its going to belong to Giannis Antetokounmpoand Bucks, as Giannis is playing at a different level than everybody else right now.

The West, if the Warriors go down, would be totally up for grabs, which is something that hasn’t been true for a while, even though the Rockets came really close to doing it last year.

But here we are. NBA fans are ready for something new. Something fun. Something that doesn’t include the team that Durant jumped on to win titles.

And we need the Rockets to help us get there.

Let’s go, Houston. You got this.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Guess we have the mantle of "Enemy of my enemy is my friend".

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

The only thing that worries me is that Milwaukee or Toronto looks to come out of the East. Neither will be a ratings hit and neither will Portland or Denver. Will the league push (ie assign refs) for Golden State to try and boost ratings?

Hopefully not.

4. Xerobull

I think it's a 50/50 split. What this guy says in the article is what almost every NBA fan outside of NoCal thinks- they are sick of the GSW. I think there would be some real interest on a national level in a new set of Finals contenders, especially with Houston as the 'bad' guy.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are starting to get tons of non-houston fans support. People are seeing how dirty this team is and how much bullshit they get away with. Even the talkings head are slow starting to lean on our side

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I went to a shoe store before game 4 to look to see if they had any other Harden vol 3 color combinations. After saying hello he said, "Oh, you're a Rockets fan". He closed up our conversation saying 'he's not a Rockets fan, but he's pulling for us.' I think the whole world is pulling for us outside of Oakland. People are starting to hate them.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

**** that dude and everyone hopping on the bandwagon. They don’t deserve to be honorary Houston fans. Talk **** all year and then reverse course as soon as it looks like we have a chance. **** em.

8. MD_in_Training

This is their stupidity. They think that Golden State equals higher ratings when in fact, they were the primary driver for less national interest in the league over the past 3 years.

The fact that local NBA ratings all over the country tanked proves this fact.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Frankly I'll take it if it helps the NBA instruct their refs to be unbiased

10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Hopefully the substantial drop during last year’s finals changes their outlook.

Smacktle and jcf like this.
  11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Adam Silver was smart(I know, but play along with me here), he'd want a Rockets-Bucks Finals. The MVP debate has been arguably the most hotly contentious subject this entire NBA season. Imagine the two of them going at it for the championship. Sure, Giannis is gonna get the actual MVP trophy at that stupid awards ceremony after the season, but how often do we get to see the two leading candidates face off in the Finals?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lulz! Well, what he loves is shooting, and his shooting has been subpar.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/klay-thompson-avengers-endgame

#12 daywalker02, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    ramotadab likes this.
  13. count_dough-ku

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like Marvel so I still luved it but I welcome other opinions.

In retrospect, the time heist thing isn't something new and I can understand if it doesn't excite everyone.

I did not expect Klay to actually go to that movie, I think he has pretty alternative taste.

House Rockets likes this.
  15. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

We’re the good guy... GS is definitely the bad guy, even though media make it seem like the opposite is true

16. count_dough-ku

Not to derail the thread, but it's not the lack of originality that bothered me. It's that it made no sense, even by its own rules.

rhee and harold bingo like this.
  17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Think New England Patriots. NBA should want the Rockets to get to Finals because if they learn from the Patriots. A dynasty football team doesn't translate to ratings. The ratings for this past Super Bowl is the lowest in 9 years, frankly I didn't watch it and I went shopping. Any team besides the Rockets to the Finals, I ain't watching it.

18. Xerobull

We're the good guy NOW. In the finals we will be the bad guy vs the hardworking up and coming team (Bucks).

HP3, Smacktle and hakeem94 like this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

I would be 100% okay with that lol.

Patience, Smacktle and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Xerobull

He's not a fan. He just hates the Warriors and recognizes we're the only team that can beat them.