1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: Second-round picks get first-rate scrutiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/draft/2003-06-23-hidden-gems_x.htm

Three teams enter Thursday's NBA draft in the waiting room. The Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets and Indiana Pacers will have to sit patiently as the first 29 players are drafted because none of them have a first-round pick.

It's to the second round that the general managers for these teams must shift their attention, unless they opt to trade up for a first-round pick.

Sacramento won't even have a second-rounder after sending its only pick (56th overall) to Boston on Monday for the rights to Darius Songaila, the 6-9 former Wake Forest star who played last season in Russia.

Second-rounders have become a hot commodity in recent years as quality players drafted in the second round have made a lasting impact.

"We got Todd MacCulloch at 47 (in 1999)," says Tony Dileo, director of player personnel for the 76ers. "He turned out great. He started at center with New Jersey and started with us when he came back. To find an NBA center at 47 is a gem."

He hopes to repeat that success on Thursday. The 76ers have the 50th pick.

Houston, which had the luxury of the No. 1 overall draft pick last year, found a gem with the 41st pick in 1998. Cuttino Mobley was an unknown guard from Rhode Island. He's now a co-captain and starting guard with the Rockets.

Indiana, which has the 49th pick, is charting unfamiliar waters. The Pacers have had only two second-round picks (2001 and 2000) since 1997.

Conventional thinking says there would be less work and preparation if a team had only one second-round pick. But, in fact, there's more homework. Players drafted late are well thought out and well picked. There's no Mr. Irrelevant — the last pick — as there is in the NFL draft.

"With the 50th pick, it's tough to really find a range of players, because at that point players are all over the (draft) board," Dileo says. "If you're picking in the top 10, there's a smaller range of about six or seven players you're really interested in and focus in on. But at 50, it may be 20 or 30 players you're looking at."

Generally, second-round picks don't necessarily fill needs for a particular position. General managers opt for the best player available and hope he becomes the next rising star.

2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I hope the Rockets are able to pull out "second round magic" like they have done in the past.

Wasnt Sam Cassell a second rounder for Houston?

I have a question kind of off topic, If Cat is the Co-Captian, who is the Captian?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing Francis is the other co-Captain. Co- means more than one, not 2nd.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Cassell was a late first rounder. Co-Captain means more than one captain, the other I assume is Franchise.

EDIT: Beat me to it RM95. :)

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rice, Mobley and Francis are the co-captains. That was announced the year we got Rice. If memory serves, Rudy didn't really have any captains much before that, because Hakeem never wanted to be one.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought Air Bull used to be the captain. :confused:

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well if the Rockets get some 2nd round magic then this would be the year for it. Good 4 year college players are going to be pushed into the 2nd round because of all the prospects going in the 1st round. The Rockets have the luxury of not needing a star. Instead they need role players, guys who will get down and bruise on the boards, who know how to pass, who know how to play hard nose D, who don't have me first attitudes. I think there will be a number of guys like that who will come out of the 2nd round, that are ready to contribute, and will immediately help out the Rockets. Hopefully, we will find the right one.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Used to be? He still is! Come on man get with it!:rolleyes: He is always the captain of the Rockets and the captain of all our hearts.:D

9. SLA

SLA Member

.....Kendrick Perkins!!!

I'm glad they actually mentioned the Rockets on a national newspaper!

10. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Rockets need to draft me