1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Rockets GM Daryl Morey happy with roster after trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 7, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Love that Morey left out Dallas.

3. bmd

bmd Member

He could have easily said something like “no, ownership has always been behind us 100% and given us the tools to improve this team”. That’s kind of a non-answer like Morey has given at times in the past.

But Morey flat-out said that ownership has actually encouraged him to spend.

coyotetex likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Too bad it wasn't a video interview. I'll bet Maori is blinking his eyes to send Morse code messages: "Owner is cheap... owner is cheap."

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Can everyone on this board kiss Morey’s arse just a bit more. Oh wait, that is not possible. For once, just accept that he is making the moves and earning his 4 million a year. There is no puppet master over him and he is absolutely correct in saying he has always operated this way. Remember he wouldn’t give guaranteed 3rd or 4th years to players like Dragic and Landry. Like it or not, Morey runs the show and if this small ball fails (which it will likely do in the playoffs) then it is solely on Morey and MDA for risking our future for small ball with the trading of CC and giving away most of our picks.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Despite these quotes being presented as matter of fact, my read is that they are still half truths. I imagine Tilman would go into the tax for a big name that will sell tickets, thus offsetting some tax costs, however he is not willing to pay tax for things on the margins like taking on salary for flexibility, or most depressingly, saving draft picks. And it sucks, because if you're not NY or LA you have to win on the margins to contend in this league.

Relativist likes this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Would make a great MasterCard commercial “Priceless”

BamBam likes this.
  8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Salesman BS - The Rockets will be judged on winning an NBA Championship - or getting knocked out again in the second round - all talk by Morey - King of excuses - MDA will be the fall guy this summer.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You sound like a ton of fun to hang out with.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can only imagine how good this team would be with a real owner. Morey could have done so much more.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There is no weaseling around the absolute FACT that they have dumped assets at the last two trade deadlines to duck the tax.

There is no weaseling around the FACT that these aren't typical Morey moves - He's an asset collector , not the guy throwing them away. He's the guy who turned the expiring corpse of T-Mac into K-Mart into Harden.

But really , what do you expect him to say ? Tilman sucks ass ? .... No.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Being negative in any part of that interview would have seemed like throwing either the players or Tilman under the bus, or both.

In my opinion, I think you're mistaking a positive outlook for cockiness.

13. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I'd like to see what moves some of these luxury tax savings people can recommend that would actually improve the team on the floor. Easy to be critical with your thumb up your a**.

But actually showing a trade that is plausible for both teams, works within the cap structure AND improves the Rockets on paper, I think that's beyond these people.

But hey, why actually think about something when you can just whine all day like a 4 year old...

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Straight up naive to not understand how many A) assets were wasted in the process of shedding salary and B) how many opportunities to add salary/players the Rockets let go by. Simply naive. Not even worth discussing, really. The evidence has been right in front of everybody for years now.

Call it whining if you want, but some Rockets fans actually want to win a championship and maximize opportunities.

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Probably a fair evaluation:

But do we really care much about teams that previously couldn't beat us? (Probably only Denver, but ok)

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey has to be one of my favorite people in the world, smart and humble.

"Get best player available."

Refreshing.

NOW GO GET HARKLESS, MKG AND BOLDEN!!!!!!!!!

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Imagine having Morey's job and you spend an extra 15 million over the luxury tax. The team doesn't win a championship but does well. The owner now owes not 15 million dollars but more like 45 million because of your decisions. How would you feel about your job security if you did that to some billionaire owner?

I'm starting to buy the story of why we haven't gone into the tax. Plus RoCo is a beast. Can't forget that!

I just hope we have Morey as our GM going forward because we're going to need a magician in the next few years to stay afloat. He's a magician.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He's done it since the dawn of time, when they were picking 14th after 14th. Not going to fall for that.

PR wise it's viewed as okay sometimes but when you get obsessed with GSW,
    and only tweet about them, then all of a sudden come up with a HK tweet.

Things are not going well. He isn't a PR artist.

Would like to know his darker and more realistic thoughts for once.

#39 daywalker02, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  20. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Harden needs a center, he relies on foul ball, it is easy to draw foul when there is a center. westbrooks doesn't need because his shooting accuracy higher than harden