1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Soldiers Find Huge Weapons Cache in Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 27, 2003.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Another solid accomplishment for the American troops in Iraq. They are stabilizing the country piece by piece through their courage and bravery.

Saturday , September 27, 2003
    Fox News

BAGHDAD, Iraq — American troops uncovered one of the largest caches of weapons to date near Saddam Hussein’s birthplace Saturday, finding 1,000 pounds of explosives used to make the homemade bombs that have killed many U.S. soldiers.

U.S. forces unearthed the weapons during a raid on a farm outside the village of Uja (search), which is close to the volatile city of Fallujah. It was the second raid in as many days on the farm.

Soldiers dug through the soft earth near a riverbank to uncover the stash, which was protected by a covering of reeds and straw. The weapons included 23 Russian-made surface-to-air missiles; four rocket-propelled grenade launchers and 115 rockets; a mortar and 40 mortar rounds; 1,300 blasting caps and 423 grenades.

"This is a significant discovery because everything we take out of the enemy's hands can't be used against us," said Maj. Mike Rauhut (search), executive officer of the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment.

The SA-7 shoulder-fired missiles could have been fired at helicopters used by the U.S. military in and around Tikrit.

The raid was a follow-up on information gleaned following a Thursday assault on the farm, a 2-square-mile spread of lime, pear and pomegranate trees.

"It's tied to some former regime people. That's always good as it makes a small dent on their ability to resist," Rauhut said.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's the important part...good job...

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't see how anyone can believe this seeing as how it came from Fox News. They posted Tucker Carlson's number on their website, for crying out loud.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That was pretty weak, you need to come stronger than that. Most likely, this is an AP report, I tried to check it out, but Fox's websites seem to be down. They aren't the only ones reporting this like back when the claimed that WMD were found every 5 minutes during the war.

Good job by the military, anything that prevents the ambush of more soldiers is obviously a major victory.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I wouldn't put it past Fox News to alter an AP report. I mean this is the network that allows Bill O'Reilly to have his own show.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Here here!

(Just wonder how many more caches like this there are...)

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Was the number the right one, or was it a lie?

You see...there is a difference.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It was his real one. There's a thread on this page, I believe, about it.

9. Murdock

Murdock Member

Good job by the military, anything that prevents the ambush of more soldiers is obviously a major victory.

I couldn't agree more, anything that prevents the loss of American lives as well as innocent Iraqi's lives is a tremendous acomplishment.

10. FKUS

FKUS Member

Did they find any mass destructive weapon? man

#10 FKUS, Sep 29, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  11. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Yeah, excellent news. Thanks for the link, bigtexxx.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I know. I was making a point. He said that you can't believe it when it comes from Fox News immediately followed by that they posted this guy's number.

The number wasn't a lie, so it proves nothing as to their accuracy...just to their judgment and character.

13. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

That was lame. Dont you get tired of defending that channel?

#13 Troy McClure, Sep 30, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003