1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US execution puts death penalty on trial - Troy Davis case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by finalsbound, Sep 19, 2011.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Today Georgia will decide whether or not Troy Davis will be executed on Wednesday.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/09/2011917143731110559.html

US execution puts death penalty on trial
    Troy Davis is set to die in under a week but advocates say there is 'too much doubt' to condemn him to death.

[​IMG]

Troy Davis is waiting in his jail cell, hoping his advocates outside can convince the US State of Georgia not to execute him according to its schedule on Wednesday, September 21.

Davis, now 42, was convicted in 1991 of the 1989 killing of Mark MacPhail, an off-duty police officer who was working an overnight job as a bus station security guard when he was shot dead while intervening in an argument.

The 1991 trial put Davis, who has always maintained his innocence, on death row based on the testimony of nine witnesses and no physical evidence.

Since the trial, seven of the nine witnesses have changed their stories, saying they cannot identify Davis as the killer.

In court testimony last year, Jeffrey Sapp told a court that he had implicated Davis in the murder because police had told him to do so, and he feared retribution if he were to say otherwise.

Darrel Collins told the court that police threatened with an 'accessory to murder' charge if he didn’t testify against Davis.

Benjamin Gordon, a new witness called by Davis’ legal team at the 2010 trial said without any doubt that he saw another man, Sylvester Coles, shoot and kill the police officer.

"A lot of them had criminal records back then, and that's why they were easily manipulated," said Davis' sister Marina Correia at the time.

September 21 will be the fourth time Davis has been scheduled to die. Each previous time, a 'stay' was issued, pausing matters that would end his life – sometimes within a few hours of ending it.

This is Davis' last chance – either he will be put to death or have his sentence changed to life imprisonment by Georgia's Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Davis' case has garnered the attention of hundreds of thousands through joint campaigns to save Davis' life by organisations including Amnesty International and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

Advocates for Davis not only argue that there is "too much doubt" to allow his execution, but they also say his case exemplifies a fundamental problem with the United States' use of capital punishment.

Because he has been convicted, Davis is no longer considered innocent until proven guilty, but guilty until proven otherwise.

The much higher legal threshold requires Davis to "clearly establish" his innocence.

Lily Hughes, a national board member of the Campaign to End the Death Penalty told Al Jazeera, "His legal appeals have been exhausted, so this is really the final chance for Troy."

Petitioning for life

The controversial nature of the case, and it being Davis' last chance for life, is why a myriad of organisations coordinated a 'Global Day of Solidarity for Troy Davis' last Thursday, with over 300 events around the world and a main action in Atlanta, Georgia. The organisations have also gathered over 650,000 signatures to petition both the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles and the Chatham County District Attorney (DA) for clemency.

[​IMG]
    Demonstrators in Belgium rally in the Global Day of Solidarity for Troy Davis on 15 September [EPA]

While the parole board is the only decision-making body in this case, Davis' advocates say the DA has power to either ask the superior court to drop Davis' death warrant or sway opinions on the Board.

A spokesperson for the DA's office refused to comment until "the case is officially over in whatever form that is".

Hughes said she was hopeful for the positive effects of petitioning the parole board: "We have seen executions be stopped before when you have this kind of outpouring of public pressure."

Hilary Shelton, the NAACP's national campaign and advocacy coordinator, told Al Jazeera that his organisation has "been making sure that there are avenues for Americans to get their voices to be heard by that probation and parole board to stop this execution and take a closer look at this case."

He also said the NAACP is going a step further, arguing for a new trial because of the level of doubt in Davis' case as well as a historical track record of executions disproportionately affecting African-Americans.

"What we're seeing in the Troy Davis case again is the circumstance and situation in which an African-American was identified as the perpetrator in a murder of a young white police officer," he said. "[But] looking at the evidence, clearly, there's a reason to pause."

Bigger picture

As the Republican race to the White House heats up, conservatives have latched on to Texan Governor Rick Perry's campaign, putting him in the lead to potentially vie with Obama as head of state in the 2012 election.

Republicans have specifically latched onto Perry's capital punishment record – higher than any governor in the country.

"[National] support for the death penalty… has been on a steady decline since the height of support in the 1980s," Hughes told Al Jazeera. "The bucking of that trend is definitely here in Texas."

As Hughes describes, Texas "out-executes" the rest of the country. "Put all the other states together in a year and Texas still executes more than all the other executing states combined."

At a recent Republican campaign debate, NBC host Brian Williams began to ask Perry about his execution record and was interrupted with thunderous applause from the California TEA Party audience. In response, Perry said: "I think Americans understand justice."

Emails to Perry's campaign went unanswered.

While most would say that deciding on someone's fate is a heavy weight, Texas-based death penalty advocate Dudley Sharp explained the applause. "Possibly, people were saying: 'We're glad that there's someone that will stand up for justice in these cases when it is so thwarted constantly in California'."

California has put 13 people to death since 1992. It was reported Thursday that prosecutors will no longer seek execution for a California man convicted of killing an off-duty police officer. Instead, Leslie Gene Parker will likely serve life in prison without the possibility of parole. This is the 'thwarted justice' referred to by Sharp.

In Texas, late on Thursday night, a temporary stay of execution was ordered by the US Supreme Court for Duane Buck because of testimony in his original trial that has been described by John Cornyn, a former Texas attorney general and current US senator, as an "improper injection of race in the sentencing hearing". Buck's attorneys do not argue that he is not guilty of a double homicide, but that he should not be put to death for it.

Buck is one of four men who were scheduled to die by lethal injection in Texas within an eight-day period. Steven Woods was executed earlier in the week even though a friend of his confessed in his double homicide case. As of this writing Cleve Foster and Lawrence Brewer are scheduled to die within the Texan week.

Calling for help

After facing decisions by numerous state and federal legal bodies that have deemed Troy Davis guilty, his life can only be prolonged by a board decision to commute his sentence. Otherwise, he will be given a series of injections to end his life on Wednesday, September 21.

Death penalty supporters say the US appeals system has worked correctly in Davis' case: "He's facing execution without the case being overturned on appeal, because he should," said Sharp.

Troy Davis' latest published writing calls for help: "…they took all of my mail, my address book and the only property I have is my eyeglasses. I'm writing with the filter of a pen because I'm not allowed the entire pen…"

For his advocates, whatever occurs in the coming days will serve as an example of the United States justice system, far beyond Davis' own case.

Laura Moye of Amnesty International told Al Jazeera that Davis' case "stands out because it speaks volumes about the problems we've seen and documented with the United States death penalty system.

"The issues in his case underscore, for us, why it is that the United States ought to turn it's back on the death penalty."

Source:
    Al Jazeera

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. finalsbound

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/us/supporters-rally-to-save-troy-davis-from-execution-in-georgia.html?_r=2

Digital Age Drives Rally to Keep a Georgia Inmate From Execution

[​IMG]

ATLANTA — As Troy Davis faces his fourth execution date, the effort to save him has come to rival the most celebrated death row campaigns in recent history.

On Monday, the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles will give Mr. Davis what is by all accounts his last chance to avoid death by lethal injection, scheduled for Wednesday.

Whether history will ultimately judge Mr. Davis guilty or innocent, cultural and legal observers will be left to examine why Mr. Davis, convicted of killing a Savannah police officer, Mark MacPhail, 22 years ago, has been catapulted to the forefront of the national conversation when most of the 3,251 other people on death row in the United States have not.

The answer, experts say, can be found in an amalgam of changing death penalty politics, concerns about cracks in the judicial system, the swift power of digital political organizing and, simply, a story with a strong narrative that caught the public’s attention.

“Compelling cases that make us second-guess our justice system have always struck a chord with the American public,” said Benjamin T. Jealous, president of the N.A.A.C.P. “Some are simply more compelling in that they seem to tap deeply into the psyche of this country. A case like this suggests that our justice system is flawed.”

Like others involved in the case, he credits Mr. Davis’s sister, Martina Correia, a media-friendly former soldier who has long argued that the police simply got the wrong man, with keeping the story alive.

And the story has been compelling. A parade of witnesses have recanted since the original trial, and new testimony suggests the prosecution’s main witness might be the killer.

There are racial undertones — Mr. Davis is black and the victim was white — and legal cliffhangers, including a stay in 2008 that came with less than 90 minutes to spare and a Hail Mary pass in 2009 that resulted in a rare Supreme Court decision.

Altogether, it had the makings of a story that has grabbed many armchair lawyers and even the most casual opponent of the death penalty.

The list of people asking that the Georgia parole board offer clemency has grown from the predictable (Jimmy Carter, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Indigo Girls) to the surprising, including 51 members of Congress, entertainment heavyweights like Cee Lo Green and death penalty supporters including William S. Sessions, a former F.B.I. director, and Bob Barr, a former member of Congress, and some leaders in the Southern Baptist church. (Unlike some other states, in Georgia the governor cannot commute a death sentence; only the parole board can.)

Propelled by a recent flood of digital media including Twitter traffic and online petition requests, the case has become fodder for discussion in fashionable Atlanta bistros, Harlem street corners and anywhere living room sleuths gather in their search for another Casey Anthony trial to dissect.

On Friday, about 1,000 people marched to Ebenezer Baptist Church here for a prayer vigil, one of hundreds of rallies being organized by Amnesty International around the world.

The facts of the case itself captured the attention of Nancie McDermott, a North Carolina cookbook author who usually spends her time in the kitchen but who took up the cause with a passion once she started reading about it on liberal Web sites.

“I think if my brother or son or dear friend from college were about to be put to death, and there was no physical evidence, and seven of nine witnesses had recanted and testified to coercion in that original testimony, would I shrug and say, ‘The jury made its decision?’ ” she wrote in an e-mail. “I just want people, particularly all the churchgoing people like me, to look me in the eye and tell me, just once, that this is justice.”

There are some larger political themes weaving through the case.

As executions becomes less common and sentences for executions decline — dropping to about 100 a year from three times that in the 1990s — the focus on execution as a means of punishment and a marker of the nation’s cultural and political divide becomes sharper, legal analysts said.

That divide results in a culture that in the same week can generate hundreds of thousands of letters of support for Troy Davis and, conversely, bring a cheering round of applause from the audience at a Republican presidential debate when Gov. Rick Perry of Texas was asked about the 234 executions in his state during his term of office.

“We’ve gotten to a critical point in the death penalty in this country,” said Ferrel Guillory, a professor of journalism and mass communication at the University of North Carolina. “These cases are being phased out but at the same time they don’t make the front page anymore, so when one comes along with a strong narrative and a good advocate, it gets our attention.”

Matthew Poncelet, a Louisiana convict, had Sister Helen Prejean, whose story of her work with him in the final phase of his life brought “dead man walking” into popular lexicon after Hollywood released a film version of the case in 1995.

Mumia Abu-Jamal, the former journalist and Black Panther who was convicted of shooting a white Philadelphia police officer in 1981, rode the power of his own charisma. His case became so popular globally that a road in a Parisian suburb bears his name.

Mr. Davis’s case not only offers a good narrative with strong characters people can relate to — his father was a law enforcement officer, his mother was a churchgoer, his sister is fighting both cancer and for her brother’s innocence — but has also benefited from an explosion in social media.

“Back in 2007, nobody outside of Savannah knew who Troy Davis was,” said Laura Moye, director of Amnesty International U.S.A.’s Death Penalty Abolition Campaign. “Now it’s safe to say over a million people do.”

For proof, she offers the 633,000 petitions she and others delivered to the parole board in an elaborate media event on Friday. About 200,000 of them were electronic signatures gathered by Change.org in less than a week.

“It’s a new era of activism,” she said.

Online organizing drew Anderia Bishop, 37, of Atlanta, to the case last week. She learned about Mr. Davis through an e-mail from ColorOfChange.org, a black political organization.

The fact that there was very little physical evidence and no DNA and a case built largely on witnesses who changed their story got her attention.

“I thought, literally, it could be me, and that’s something a lot of people who are casually watching this case think,” she said. “There are just too many questions.”

But public pressure and intense media attention can cut both ways, said Stephen Bright, president of the Southern Center for Human Rights and a longtime capital defense lawyer.

“It certainly heightens the attention a case gets, but there also can be some defensiveness,” he said. “There has historically been that worry that people from out of state will come in and not understand what really happened.”

The difference, he said, is that in today’s information-rich age, people around the world actually do know most of the facts in the case.

“It tells the State of Georgia that the whole world is watching,” he said.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I dont understand how people can be comfortable with the death penalty when there are cases like this. Even the risk of killing one innocent person should be enough to stop capital punishment.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

This is exactly why I don't trust the government to have the authority to kill people. Two wrongs don't make a right.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not too comfortable with this execution. And, I recognize that there are injustices in the court that result in the executions of innocent men. But, I agree with your logic.

An injustice that puts him in prison for the rest of his life isn't much better than one that sees him executed. We should be as concerned about locking up innocent men as we are about executing them. And even so, I'm not ready to suspend the justice system until we have it completely right either. The adage that it's better to let ten guilty men go free than let one innocent man be punished is bs, imo. It's an injustice to let the guilty go free too. So, we're making mistakes all over the place and in both directions. But we can't just stop trying. We just need to make the system as good as we can as we go along.

7. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

8. finalsbound

someday we WILL see the death penalty as barbarism.

just sucks that in the meantime there will be victims of the system.

troy davis denied clemency

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Life >>>>>>>>>>>> death

1 person likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't beleive it. With almost all of the witnesses against him withdrawing their statements, I can't believe they are going through with the execution.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm not saying he's guilty or not guilty of the murder - I haven't seen any evidence in the case. The jury heard the case, they found him guilty. Federal judges have seen the record, and heard the "new evidence", and deemed it lacked credibility.

All I suggest is that when the media gets a hold of these cases and invariably tries to paint a sympathetic picture of the convicted individual, and celebrities invariably try to create support for that person, largely supporting an agenda that the death penalty is wrong or immoral, they convince many people to support the guy, none of whom actually know what the evidence is or have read the transcripts or the appellate rulings supporting the conviction.

I'm probably the only one here who's actually tried a death penalty case, and I can't form an opinion on this case on the basis of what I've heard from the media. I don't know how the rest of you possibly could. Putting aside beliefs about the rightness/wrongness of the death penalty itself.

3 people like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Great post Sam.

One thing that always amuses me about these stories is why they do something like this:

"He was convicted in 2000 and sentenced to death row. But Sam Cassell, who has always maintained his innocence, is hoping for clemency."

I mean, does that line really need to even be said?

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

According to the article there was no physical evidence. He was convicted with eyewitness testimony which is very unreliable. 60 minutes did a big story about that a few years ago. The fact you are killing a guy without hard evidence is crazy. He might have done it but with no hard evidence kind of hard to kill him.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From my understanding didn't the USSC make a ruling a few years ago that essentially said that possible innocence might not be enough to stop an execution if due process was followed? It sounds like you are a prosecutor so then what sort of justice is it if a wrong result was delivered but as long as the rules were followed then the punishment should proceed.

I am not a prosecutor or lawyer and don't know all the facts of the case but if I was sitting as a juror and I late found out that most of the witnesses had recanted their testimony I would feel this was a miscarriage of justice even though due process was followed to the T.

15. SamCassell

I'm not here to defend the court system, you can choose to believe in it or not believe in it, philosophically. But the general rule is, appellate courts are charged with correcting errors made by trial courts. They are not there to relitigate trials. So, consider their rulings in that light.

Now, if you are talking about the sufficiency of the evidence presented at trial, in a civil case, the standard is preponderance of the evidence, 51%. For a criminal case, the jury must believe the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, an appellate court is going to give greater deference to the findings of that jury, who had to find no reasonable doubt in order to convict the defendant. They are not in a position to second guess that jury, or the weight the jury assigned to the testimony of each witness, or the degree of credibility the jury found for each witness. They just weren't there at the time, and they're reviewing a cold record, sometimes (like in this case) 2 decades later. We have not granted those courts that power.

By the way, there are plenty of people who actually commit crimes, who are acquitted, and even later-found evidence wouldn't convict that person, who is protected by double jeopardy. That's how the system works. You may or may not approve of it, but it's the system we have.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This defense is very hollow; it's obvious, via the 100's of people exonerated by the Innocene project, via Illinois basically having to shutdown its death row machinery due to corruption and ineptitude, that this system has been less than optimal in the 1980's and 90's.

As such, shoving your fingers in your ears and sayign "it's the system we have! case closed!" is a cop-out.

This is untrue, at least not in my understanding of what happened. - the federal judge(s) didn't assess the sufficiency of the evidence, rather it appears that they agreed with the state of Georgia on procedural grounds and denied the writ.

edit: sorry it appears that subsequent appeals did hear testimony, but the defense was unable to serve the most critical witness so he didn't testify.

It's reasonable to me that people would find this problematic in a death row case of this nature, especially.

#16 SamFisher, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  17. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Death penalty is the solution to all doubt.
    Innocent people are being killed all over the world anyway.

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did anyone suggest doing away with the justice system? An injustice that keeps him in prison, is much, much better than executing him. At least there is the possibility of correcting a mistake. There's no going back if he's executed.

Philosophically, I'm not opposed to the death penalty. In the real world, it should be abolished because the system is too flawed.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you are saying and basically it is what I said that as long as due process was followed later evidence, in this case witnesses recanting, may not be enough to prevent an execution since appellate courts don't have the power to relitigate. While yes that is our system that still seems to me to not be a just system. To me it seems like one where essentially the system is driving the execution rather than an actually search for justice.

Its cases like this why I can't support the death penalty. As Gifford said ideally where guilt is guaranteed then maybe we have a death penalty but not in a system with so many flaws and especially in a case like this where the system is working as its supposed to an innocent man may still be executed.
    I can see how as a prosecutor that may frustrate you but then we have to ask a philosophical question. What is more important, punishing the guilty or protecting the innocent?

20. SamCassell

I understand what you're saying. And like I said, I'm not trying to tell you our system is always right or always just (it's not). I was just trying to give a little perspective about how it works, and why it works that way. I would point out that there are probably very few death penalty cases where identity is an issue. Generally, prosecutors don't seek the death penalty unless guilt is all but assured. Defendants in death penalty cases are generally fighting other issues, like mitigation. The one I tried, the issue was whether the killing was intentional. Sometimes, there are self-defense arguments.

I didn't say it frustrated me. Just pointing out that injustices happen both ways. And part of that (in both cases) is in the interest of finality, and putting matters to rest. But I agree, protecting the innocent is critical. I believe in that as a pillar of our legal system. I also think it has to serve the community, by protecting us from future harm by violent felons. I think we can and must do both.

1 person likes this.