1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Urban Hunting - Raccoons for Sale in Detroit

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by weslinder, Apr 2, 2009.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Video Here

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

so it tastes like opossum? ummm, that doesn't help me any... :)

My first thought was "gross", but I know it happens. Some lifelong neighbors of my mom's family run a "Coon Club" in Alabama; in a lot of ways it's their social center but I know they go coon hunting too... guess they eat them afterwards, then? I used to think, "wow, authentic rednecks" but the lead guy, who went to school with my mother, got written up in a national magazine for it, so actually he's very respected in his field and, in his own way, more successful than most of us will ever be. I'd still be worrying about it carrying rabies though.

As for Detroit, given the vacant areas, I like the idea of it going back to the wild. Urban farms/gardens would be a good idea as well. Goodness knows we've built enough stuff where nature used to be, actually nice to see it going the other way around.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I actually ate Raccoon meat before. It's not that bad. And no, it doesn't taste like chicken.

4. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I don't know about now because of all of the development, but a few years ago, raccoons were a common sight in Midtown.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Don't you have to cook coon meat a certain way for some reason?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I took this at my home near Montrose and Westheimer a few months ago.

One night about a year ago I looked out front to see 3 raccoons on my porch at once.

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

That's too cute. I couldn't eat that... Cows, Pigs, Fish, and Chickens are not as cute - I'll eat them all day long!

8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Don't let the cute exterior mask the viscous thieving, and conniving beasts they really are.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Viscous? I had no idea raccoons were thick and sticky oozing liquid-like creatures.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The man has a very good point there. Nearly all commercial meat and dairy products have tons of chemicals in them. If you're going to eat meat, it'd probably be a good idea to buy organic or grain-fed - or kill it yourself, like Mr. Beasley.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Paging RocketRaccoon...

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I think he left the board because of all the liberals...

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dude's face eating the raccoon was hilarious.