1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Updated Lottery Race and a humbling fact

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<table width=300 cellspacing=0 border=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=0 border=0 cellpadding=2><tr align=right bgcolor="#003366"><td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#ffffff"></font></td><td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#ffffff">W</font></td><td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#ffffff">L</font></td><td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#ffffff">PCT</font></td><td><font face="verdana" size="1" color="#ffffff">GB</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Golden State</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>6</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>29</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.171</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>--</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Chicago</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>5</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>27</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.156</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>½</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>LA Clippers</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>10</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>25</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.286</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>4</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Vancouver</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>10</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>25</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.286</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>4</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Dallas</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>11</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>24</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.314</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>5</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Houston</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>11</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>24</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.314</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>5</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Washington</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>12</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>24</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.333</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>5 ½</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Atlanta</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>12</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>21</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.364</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>7</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Boston</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>15</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>20</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.429</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>9</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>New Jersey</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>15</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>20</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.429</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>9</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Cleveland</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>15</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>20</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.429</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>9</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Orlando</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>16</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>20</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.444</font></td>
    <td><font size=2 face=arial>9 ½</font></td></tr><tr align=right><td width=100 align=left><font size=2 face=arial>Denver</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>17</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>17</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>.500</font></td><td><font size=2 face=arial>11 ½</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

9 of the Rockets 11 wins have come against teams on this chart.

1 (the Lakers) would be in this group too if they were without Kobe and Shaq, which they were both times we faced them.

The only team we have beat of any substance is the Phoenix Suns.

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited January 14, 2000).]

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

to give your humbling fact the slightest of boosts:

We were without Barkley for both games as well. And we crushed them in LA by 20 pts for the win.

Does that help our spirits any to think the best team in the league can't beat us at home if they take their best two players off the court and we take Barkley/Hakeem off the court? At least we can say we have more spirited players.

I don't know...but it helps take the depression away for me in seeing us chart losses so quickly in my innaugural season ticket year

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Clutch, perhap you can put this on the main page...and update it daily. We still 6th I see...

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Heypartner...As I remember it, the Lakers were without Kobe, Shaq, and Horry. The Rox had everyone except Barkley.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ohh damn without HORRY!!! [​IMG]

6. Curly

Curly Member

And in that game, it was about the first time that I can remember where Fox didn't come in an rip about 12 straigt points of the bench in his minute and a half of play...

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I know there's no way of knowing, but where do you think we'll end up in this "race"? With Olajuwon coming back, I find it hard to believe that we will climb much higher in the lottery standings, although it is possible. It might take everyone a while to get used to Olajuwon and vice versa (they weren't exactly clicking on all cylinders when Olajuwon was playing at the first of the year). I don't think there's any way we get better than third in this race. It looks more likely to me that we fall somewhere in the 5-10 range.

What are the needs of the teams that will likely pick ahead of us in the draft? Who might be left, that we could really use, if we don't do any better than the 5-10 pick?

The "hot" team on the list seems to me to be Orlando. They're beginning to live up to expectations.

8. heypartner

dreamshake

what exactly is your point. are you a rockets fan or not.

don't give me gripe about how we didn't deserve to crush the Lakers by 70 points at the Forum.

i never exaggerate!!!

9. heypartner

also dreamshake

horry or not...we beat the lakers everyday Kobe/Shaq and Barkley/Hakeem sitting

I love my rockets!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 15, 2000).]

10. Dreamshake

Heypartner...Since you so eloquantly evoked the "You arent a fan" post.

Simply put...The Rockets minus Barkley, with Hakeem and the rest of the squad should win 999,999 out of 1000000 of games against the Lakers minus Kobe, Shaq, and Horry. They only Had two starters for that game. And one of them was AC Green.

Your counterpoint to Clutch was misinformation. I was only trying to point that out to you. I wasn't even coming close to challeging you.

Next time, read the context before you get so bent out of shape.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Looking at that list, it might not be impossible for Terrence Morris to slide to the Rockets if the other teams draft based on need...

Warriors have Antawn Jamison/Donyell Marshall at SF.
    Bulls have Ron Artest/Toni Kukoc at SF.
    Grizzlies have Shareef Abdur Rahim at SF.
    Clippers have Lamar Odom/Tyrone Nesby at SF.
    Mavericks have Michael Finley at SF.
    Wizards have Juwan Howard/Rip Hamilton at SF.

The rest of teams on the list all need Small Forwards however. Hopefully Ron Artest continues to play well enough for Chicago to consider him a permanent starter at the 3 next year (Artest out-played Morris in the 1999 tournament)

I could see the draft going something like this:
    1. Warriors: Kenyon Martin
    2. Bulls: Quentin Richardson
    3. Grizzlies: Chris Mihm
    4. Rockets: Terrence Morris <--
    5. Clippers: Scoonie Penn, Erick Barkley or Mateen Cleaves
    6. Mavericks: Michael Redd

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited January 15, 2000).]

12. Dreamshake

Heypartner...

That was my point. Hakeem was in both of those games.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Which begs the question.

Will Hakeem play tonight in Chicago?

DaDakota

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not that it really matters, but Horry played in the 2nd Houston/LA game this year.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AH, 15, I just want to see the flames.

[​IMG]

WOOOOHOOOOO

DaDakota

16. heypartner

dreamshake,

I don't feel bent out of shape.

I'm exaggerating for fun Man, trying to enjoy this season?? Clutch didn't mention Barkley sitting both games...so I gave his "humbling fact the slightest of boost"....read my context.

My "spirits" paragraph was intending to exaggerate and pose a separate scenario. I ran two thoughts together there. I'll be more careful next time.

geeze...touchy aren't we.

my 2nd post scenario for fun was..."we still beat the LA kobe/shaq and barkley/dream sitting". 2 missing stars vs 2 missing stars. Let Horry play, i don't care.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 15, 2000).]