1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Updated Draft Tracker] Who to root for from here on out...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by today, Dec 24, 2005.

1. today

today Contributing Member

Download Benzman's Draft Tracker, updated with the Saints, Packers, and Jets: Updated Draft Tracker

Most here agree that we will beat SF next week, so the SOS tiebreaker will come into play if that happens. Here's an updated total of wins and opponent wins for each team:

Texans (2-13) - 127 opponent wins (+1 for Baltimore win)
    Saints (3-12) - 124 opponent wins (+1 for Chicago win)
    Jets (3-12) - 125 opponent wins (+2 for a New England win, +1 for Baltimore win)
    Packers (3-12) - 128 opponent wins (+1 for Minnesota win, +2 for Chicago win)
    49ers (3-12) - 130 opponent wins (+1 for Chicago win)

Note: All the math done above assumes that there are no ties.

So we are rooting for Chicago, Minnesota, and NYJ to win the last 3 games of week 16.

After the Monday night game, then I'll do a run-down on who to root for so that we end up with the #1 pick even if we beat the 49ers.

EDIT: For Green Bay I mistyped "(+2 for Minnesota win, +1 for Chicago win)" and it should have been "(+1 for Minnesota win, +2 for Chicago win)".

#1 today, Dec 24, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I just did the math myself via the nfl.com website and this is what i came up with..

125-112 HOU

133-106 SF

122-113 NO

125-112 NYJ

137-108 GB

Teams like GB and SF are virtually eliminated because of their opponents better W/L records.

The Texans have the inside track over NO and NYJ because of their 2 wins instead of 3.

However, if the Texans were to win next week, and NO or NYJ were to lose (assuming the jets lose to the pats tonight, which they will), it would come down to how their season opponent fared in their final game of the year to determine who had the easiest schedule, therefore the # 1 pick.

So basically, root for the Jets and Saints to win and we won't have to worry about losing a tie to anyone for the #1 pick.

3. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Its pretty much a must loose situation. NY can pull off a win, but i doubt that the saints will, they play the bucs.

It will all come down to the tie breaker. So hope for our division guys to loose and their division guys to win and all that stuff.

4. today

I have reviewed my math and I stand by my numbers. I realize that my math may have been hard to follow, so I included explanations on each team below:

Note: I only counted wins since there have not been any ties this year and all games have been played. Thus, two teams with the same opponent win total will have the exact same SOS winning percentage.

There are 3 games remaining in week 16, and in some cases, whoever wins those matchups doesn't matter, as long as there is not a tie.

Saints: Past opponents for the Saints who have yet to play this week are Min, GB, Chi, NE, and NYJ. Since GB plays Chi, and NE plays NYJ, it really doesn't matter who wins those matchups. The Saints will get 2 wins added to their total, so their win total would be 124 (122 current opponent wins plus 2 eventual wins).
    ----------
    Result: Saints (3-12) - 124 opponent wins (+1 for Chicago win)

Houston: 127 opponent wins, 128 if Baltimore wins.
    ----------
    Result: Texans (2-13) - 127 opponent wins (+1 for Baltimore win)

San Fran: I added their opponents wins one more time and they currently have 130, and will have 131 if Chicago wins.
    ----------
    Result: 49ers (3-12) - 130 opponent wins (+1 for Chicago win)

Jets: Agreed, 125 wins.
    ----------
    Result: Jets (3-12) - 125 opponent wins (+2 for a New England win, +1 for Baltimore win)

Green Bay: This one is convoluted, but here goes. Past opponents for the Packers who have yet to play this week are Min (twice), Chi (twice), and Bal. Since Bal plays Min, we can go ahead and add 1 to their win total, but if Min wins, we will have to add 1 more. GB currently has 127 wins, but we can add 1 to that total for the time being.
    ----------
    Result: Packers (3-12) - 128 opponent wins (+1 for Minnesota win, +2 for Chicago win)

Sorry if I confused anyone with my first post, I just didn't have the time to write up all the explanations.

Just to sum things up again, for the last 3 games of week 16, we are rooting for NYJ, Chicago, and Minnesota.

5. TheDynastyInMs

um ....since chicago is playing greenbay this week don't we want chicago to lose and green bay to lose taking them out of the picture all together.

6. TheDynastyInMs

i meant chicago to lose which would mean greenbay winning and taking them out of the equation

7. today

Yes, if GB wins, then we wouldn't have to worry about them, but they don't pose the greatest threat of the 3-win teams. New Orleans is the top contender assuming we beat SF for the 3rd win, they would have a 2-4 game lead on us going into week 17. The Jets are the next closest contender, but if they lose to NE, then they would be tied with us heading into week 17. Getting back to Green Bay, if they lose, then depending upon the Min/Bal outcome, they could be either 2 games behind us or 4 games behind us going into week 17.

I say root for NYJ, CHI, and MIN to win because that would give the following outcome heading into week 17:

Texans (2-13) - 127 Opponent Wins
    ------------
    Saints (3-12) - 125 Opponent Wins
    Packers (3-12) - 131 Opponent Wins
    49ers (3-12) - 131 Opponent Wins
    ---------------
    NYJ (4-11) - 125 Opponent wins

I hope we can take care of business and lose to SF, but if we end up choking and win the game, we'll have to hope that all the right teams win/lose so that we can overtake that 2 game lead New Orleans has on us.

Assuming the above comes true, in week 17 we would root for NYG, GB, and DET to win, and root for PIT, SEA and IND(2) to lose.

Guarenteed Week 17 wins (assuming Texans Win and Saints lose):

CAR beats or loses to ATL = +2 to NO
    CHI beats or loses to MIN = +1 to NO
    MIA beats or loses to NE = +1 to NO
    NYJ beats or loses to BUF = +1 to NO
    TB beats NO = +2 to NO

CIN beats or loses to KC = +1 to HOU
    TEN beats or loses to JAX = +2 to HOU
    CLE beats or loses to BAL = +1 to HOU

Summary of Guarenteed Wins: NO +7 vs. HOU +4 = HOU +1 overall

So heading into the rest of the games, Houston would have a 1 game lead:

NYG beat OAK = +1 to NO
    GB beats SEA = +1 to NO
    DET beats PIT = +1 to NO

PIT beats DET = +1 to HOU
    SEA beats GB = +1 to HOU
    IND beats ARI = +2 to HOU
    ARI beats IND = +1 to HOU

Hmmmmmmm.... With IND, SEA, and PIT all likely to win their games with or without their starters, it doesn't look like we'd be able to overtake New Orleans to get the weaker SOS. The one glimmer of hope is that if Chicago wins in week 16, then I believe TB will clinch a playoff spot, making the NO game irrelevant and opening up the door for NO to escape from Tampa with their 4th win. But overall, my take is that if we beat SF, we won't get the #1 pick.

8. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Huh???

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

ONE QUESTION:

IF we WIN next week what is the senerio that we would get the #2 pick? and Saints get the #1 pick

I'm not to worry about Saints getting the #1 pick as long as is not SF because I think NO would draft Leinart to replace Aaron Brooks they already have Duece at RB.

or

Would SF get the #2 pick if we beat SF?

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"I don't know what we're yelling about!"

11. today

Sorry about my long posts, I'm analytical, so this stuff comes naturally to me, but it isn't always the easiest thing to describe.

Here is the basic low-down: If we beat SF and NO loses, then NO will get the #1 pick almost certainly, and we will battle with NYJ for the #2 pick (assuming that NYJ still have 3 wins).

I haven't looked at the week 17 opponent matchups for NYJ, so I don't know how we'll fair against them, only to say that if they lose to NE, we will be tied with the NYJ in SOS starting in week 17.

So I'm guessing that we'll do no worse than the #3 pick at this point, but I'll do a more detailed analysis after week 16 is complete.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i'll make it real simple

GO NINERS!!!!

13. superden

superden Contributing Member

i got a real nice texans shirt for christmas, i really hope i get a reggie bush with that :D

14. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The 49'ers proved yesterday they aren't tanking. They went out 2 weeks in a row and almost beat the Jags and yesterday took care of business. Essentially taking themselves out of the Bush equation.

The Texans will beat the 49'ers. Yeah, that's why the 49'er lost to the Jags 10-9 and the Texans got blown out of the water by the Jags.

Look the Texan could go into next week and win the game and still end up with the top pick. There is a CHANCE!

Look the Texans had 4 games in a row where they gave the game away (tanking - Nope, I think just choking). Had they won those games, they'd sit here with a pretty average record. The holes would still be the same, but they'd be looking into drafting in the 6 to 12th range. Even if they win next week, they are assured picking in the top 5 picks. Generally that means an impact player.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I just did the math.

If we tie with NO, Jets, GB, and SF, there is no way that we can get better than 2nd. NO will get the top.

Either you root for NO to win (which they won't) or you must root for SF.

Truthfully, if we don't beat the 49er's, we don't get Bush, unless NO drafts a QB. The Jets will also be very close. They will most likely get the 2nd pick.

#15 swilkins, Dec 25, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  16. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

You guys want the math on paper, HERE IT IS!!

Assuming all the 3 wins team lose and the Texans win, this is the breakdown of the draft order based on strenght of schedule. Since the league plays at .500 usually, the SOS will be more affected by next week opponent rather than records of teams played.

1. NO .5189 (They play Tampa increasing the SOS, but not enough)

2. NJ .5253 (They play Buffalo, and might win this game, Good news for Texans :D )

3. Hou .5315 (They play SF, and it's a toss up; we can hope that NJ SOS goes up a bit, and our goes down a bit, but that is just wishfull thinking in my Opinion)

4. GB .5435 (They play Seattle, the SOS goes up Considerably, basically ending the Competition for the Texans 3 pick draft order.)

5. SF .5474 (Their SOS goes down, but not enough to overcome any of the 3 win teams)

And if you want a more accurate estimate; then do the following, add or subtract .00195 for each game over or under .500 the teams you played in the season. You see if teams usually play .500 then what the rest of the league does is going to matter very little.

But realize that most of the teams we're competing against in the SOS have their Divisions playing within themselves, essentially not increasing the SOS at all.

So, if the Texans beat SF, the best the Texans can do is the 2nd pick, and that is with everyones fingers crossed. But, I haven't checked the common opponents they played. There might exist a statistical improbability I'm not taking into account.

But, they pretty much get at least the 3rd pick. That is certain ;)